Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #41
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Spraying Mace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Huh? If it wasn't for the metal thing it would be way better than tear gas and baton rounds. The legitimate use is crowd control and riot suppression. You park one in front of an embassy during a riot and no mobs are going to break the gates and murder our ambassadors. They are just going to stay the hell out of the field.
Mobs in back push those in front. So lovely, you created a new way to burn people to death.
All weapons are "less than lethal", so when used improperly can result in slow painful deaths.
But all of that is moot when regarding the metal issue. And off topic for this thread anyway.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #42
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Kromm's suggestion of reversing the modifers and getting a straight HT roll.
Or just the basic dirty tricks rule for sprays not specifically designed for combat.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #43
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Or just the basic dirty tricks rule for sprays not specifically designed for combat.
Which is what I suggested in the first place, but everybody apparently disagreed with me. Including you.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #44
vierasmarius

One concern I have with the rules as written is the difficulty in actually hitting the face. It's a base -5 for the hit location, countered by +2 for the broad spray. That means an average person without special training has an effective skill of 3 (DX 10, -4 default, -3 modifier). Even if you allow All-Out Dedicated to give +4 instead of +1, you still have only a very tiny chance for it to be helpful in a self-defense situation.

What are others' thoughts on this? Should an aerosol spray require a hundred hours of practice with a self-defense teacher in order to be useful?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
One concern I have with the rules as written is the difficulty in actually hitting the face. It's a base -5 for the hit location, countered by +2 for the broad spray. That means an average person without special training has an effective skill of 3 (DX 10, -4 default, -3 modifier). Even if you allow All-Out Dedicated to give +4 instead of +1, you still have only a very tiny chance for it to be helpful in a self-defense situation.

What are others' thoughts on this? Should an aerosol spray require a hundred hours of practice with a self-defense teacher in order to be useful?
Almost any useful self-defense application is going to be a Telegraphic Attack against either a AoA'ing attacker or an "attacker" who isn't even aware that you are defending yourself (and therefore gets no Active Defense and is probably Stunned from Surprise afterwards in addition to a face full of pepper spray).
Old 08-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #46
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Which is what I suggested in the first place, but everybody apparently disagreed with me. Including you.
I don't remember disagreeing with using that rule for things like hair spray in the face. I'm easily distracted by thread derailment though.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #47
vierasmarius

Quote:
Almost any useful self-defense application is going to be a Telegraphic Attack against either a AoA'ing attacker or an "attacker" who isn't even aware that you are defending yourself (and therefore gets no Active Defense and is probably Stunned from Surprise afterwards in addition to a face full of pepper spray).
That makes sense. I guess I hadn't considered allowing Telegraphic for Jet attacks, but they are technically sort of melee-ish or something (I really do not like the implementation of Jets in 4e, but that's a separate issue).
Old 08-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #48
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Instinct might be to jerk back the head and block with the hands which is much less effective against sprays than hard objects, I would guess.
And if nothing else gives a fraction of a second for the defender to turn around and start running.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #49
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
That makes sense. I guess I hadn't considered allowing Telegraphic for Jet attacks, but they are technically sort of melee-ish or something (I really do not like the implementation of Jets in 4e, but that's a separate issue).
Telegraphic is totally legitimate with Jets (which also are melee attacks for AoA: Determined; a net +5 to target the face!). The standard self-defense deployment is to stick the sprayer squarely in front of the target's face and then depress the trigger; that certainly seems Telegraphic to me!
Old 08-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #50
vierasmarius

Quote:
Telegraphic is totally legitimate with Jets (which also are melee attacks for AoA: Determined; a net +5 to target the face!). The standard self-defense deployment is to stick the sprayer squarely in front of the target's face and then depress the trigger; that certainly seems Telegraphic to me!
That definitely fits the Telegraphic description. However, it seems like a special case - the same tactic can be used with pistols at point-blank range (essentially pressing the gun into the target before pulling the trigger). I certainly wouldn't allow a flamethrower or fire-breathing dragon to make a Telegraphic Jet attack at 10 yards. But that's a tangent, and Telegraphic AoA certainly fits for close-range self-defense situations.

Tags
mace, modern, tear gas