Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: In Nomine Noir (backwards?)

Acolyte, I've sent you my own prospective background for Emin, a Balseraph of Theft. Let me know what you think.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attercap View Post
Tydhg, Djinn of Dark Humor
Using the Role of Tad MacNamara, tabloid journalist and photographer, Tydhg attunes to famous and political personalities into compromising situations and then reports on it. If no situations present themselves, the Stalker has no qualms about reporting on a "story" that he himself creates; setting the victim up. In many ways, he's a darker version of Danny DeVito's character in L.A. Confidential.

Tydhg had been working in Chicago, until he created and reported the wrong story. Unbeknownst to him, the subject of his attunement was not just a wealthy real estate magnate, but also an Impudite Gamester. While Kobal was amused when the tabloids reported the Taker with three prostitutes in a tub of bathtub gin, Asmodeus was not. Tad exited, stage left. Now he's in The City--because there's always a scandal people need to laugh about somewhere.
Generally, I approve of where you're going with this. A few thoughts--
  • Especially with Kobal's Dark Humor even further Noirified (and remember that Noir pushed the bounds of acceptable humor for its time), how will Tydhg be attractive as an antihero?
  • Even though Nybbas is still relatively in his infancy as a Prince (and somewhat tainted with the widespread use of the Media by totalitarian regimes, which is not his modern day emphasis), Tydhg's activities skirt overlap between Dark Humor and the Media. Has this come to anyone's attention, good or bad? Possibly your "allied" PC could be a Servitor of the Media, if you can convince one of the other players to take that role.
  • Just how angry were Asmodeus and the Impudite? Will they still be hunting for Tydhg, or was running him out of town enough? Did Kobal intervene at all?
  • I wonder if you'd consider dropping the "a" from his Role's name and making it an Irish one; I expect Irish/Italian rivalries to be an issue in the City.

Quote:
Acolyte, I've sent you my own prospective background for Emin, a Balseraph of Theft. Let me know what you think.
I'll let you know! Any idea of which player you'll partner with?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
[*]I wonder if you'd consider dropping the "a" from his Role's name and making it an Irish one; I expect Irish/Italian rivalries to be an issue in the City.
No need to drop the "a" actually; MacNamara is a fine old Irish name. (Recall the song 'MacNamara's Band?')

Quote:
I'll let you know! Any idea of which player you'll partner with?
Not yet, not knowing what some of the other folks may come up with. With my own character provisionally having the role of a PI, there's a few possible combinations that would work .... a real bruiser of a friend/partner, say, or the classic "Lilim with a heart of gold."

Last edited by Rocket Man; 12-18-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

My initial thought was the hard-boiled gumshoe fallen Mercurian of Revelations that I was imagining when I wrote the story up-thread. However I'm not sure that he'd make much sense being a servant of one of the approved words (although Secrets is a possibility, that's one of the IN books I don't have), and it seems that Rocket Man is also playing a PI. I'll try to come up with something else. I do think I want to play a fallen angel, though, it seems particularly appropriate in a low-contrast game; especially a noir one.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #25
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
My initial thought was the hard-boiled gumshoe fallen Mercurian of Revelations that I was imagining when I wrote the story up-thread. However I'm not sure that he'd make much sense being a servant of one of the approved words (although Secrets is a possibility, that's one of the IN books I don't have), and it seems that Rocket Man is also playing a PI. I'll try to come up with something else. I do think I want to play a fallen angel, though, it seems particularly appropriate in a low-contrast game; especially a noir one.
Sorry to jump athwart your plans there, Sir Pudding. Though the detective partnership is a time-honored tradition, if you still want to go that route...

Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Sorry to jump athwart your plans there, Sir Pudding. Though the detective partnership is a time-honored tradition, if you still want to go that route...
The other problem is what Word? The Game is apparently right out.

Unfortunately none of the approved words are are especially appealing to me right now.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:14 AM   #27
JCD

Sent Acolyte a PM about a character idea.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #28
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
A Fallen angel is a great idea--inherently full of pathos and richness. See my PM about getting you the Secrets information. As for dual PIs, well, it is the most cliche noir character trope (other than perhaps a femme fatale), and you could team up or one could be very new to town. For another PI Word, it might be interesting to do Technology; as we actually KNOW what technology was like in the 40s and 50s, you can back extrapolate the nifty gadgets only a Vapulan demon or Jeanite angel would have in the 30s. As for The Game, well, introducing a demon of The Game into a mixed party pretty much ensures that the rest of the PCs will be hostile to him, or that if things get "interesting" (as they are wont to do in noir) the PC will be risking death from Asmodeus for not reporting his friends. If you've got a The Game concept that would work without tearing the party apart, I might be willing to hear it.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #29
ladyarcana55

Sent my PM to Acolyte

:D
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #30
Attercap

I'm putting my cards out on the table, here, rather than PMing, because I don't really know any of the other players. And if any of them sees anything in my character they want to attach themselves, too, that'd be excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
Especially with Kobal's Dark Humor even further Noirified (and remember that Noir pushed the bounds of acceptable humor for its time), how will Tydhg be attractive as an antihero?
It's not so much the Dark Humor that concerns me regarding Tydhg being an antihero so much as it is his Djinn nature. I see the character being more a support/secondary character in a noir piece, rather than a major player. If you (and the other players) are comfortable with it, I'd almost rather play one of those characters that everybody knows--or at least knows of. ...Basically, in the cast list, I'd be Peter Lorre. You know, not really the antihero, but not completely the antagonist, either.

Quote:
Even though Nybbas is still relatively in his infancy as a Prince (and somewhat tainted with the widespread use of the Media by totalitarian regimes, which is not his modern day emphasis), Tydhg's activities skirt overlap between Dark Humor and the Media. Has this come to anyone's attention, good or bad? Possibly your "allied" PC could be a Servitor of the Media, if you can convince one of the other players to take that role.
Hey, if people are buying the papers, I don't think Nybbas minds who's doing the work. Tydgh would definitely get on well (at least, as well as any Djinn would) with a Media-ite and if he gets the call for a juicy story he'll answer it.

Quote:
Just how angry were Asmodeus and the Impudite? Will they still be hunting for Tydhg, or was running him out of town enough? Did Kobal intervene at all?
It was a fairly localized incident. There might be a few Gamesters in The City who are going to make life a little more difficult for Tydgh, but nothing at the level that Princes would get involved or that the Stalker's going to have to watch his every step. Going back to Chicago any time soon would be a bad idea and, really, I like to leave it up to the GM to decide how bad this other Gamester wants revenge. ...That way it's a surprise!

Quote:
I wonder if you'd consider dropping the "a" from his Role's name and making it an Irish one; I expect Irish/Italian rivalries to be an issue in the City.
As Rocket Man pointed out, MacNamara is a traditional Irish surname. It means "son of the hound of the sea"--though Tydgh just focused on the "hound" part when picking his earthly name.

Quote:
Any idea of which player you'll partner with?
Nope. As a player I'm fairly easy going. I don't even mind if I'm picked last for kickball. As I stated earlier, though, I'd like to be a "tie-in" character to a few players, if possible. I'm hoping that putting all this out in public will give others the impetus to contact me.

Tags
backwards, net play