Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 04-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
pheonix1649

Default Re: OpenRpg

Open RPG is a piece of software that allows table-top type play using maps, character sheets, and chat, all information is chat only and there is no rules content other than a non-rule dice roll, and any information on the character sheet. A person could concievably have information on a game idea (ala The Sorcerer's Impediments), but the software does not have many allowences for game machanics.

You have already been given the link...

Also I would not be inclined to use the software on an open invite basis as In Nomine does not lend its self well to large gaming groups. It would be used on a much more private basis (esp with concern generated here).

John M
Old 04-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #12
Naryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
The comment about "character sheets" concerns me somewhat, since it seems to be slipping into a gray area of what sort of stuff might be allowed. I am hoping it's on the light side of the gray.
A character sheet in OpenRPG is simply an XML file that contains your characters stats. This can be as simple as a text box with the relevant information. The XML file can then be sent to the game master. In this sense it's no different than if I simply print out one of the In Nomine PDFs (http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/charsheets/), fill it out and make a copy for my GM, except that the PDFs are much nicer to actually look at. Similarly if I used Excel to make my own character sheet and then gave that to my GM.

From http://www.sjgames.com/general/online_policy.html
Quote:
V. So, does that mean that I can . . .

Create my own MUD, MUSH or computer game based on a SJ Games property?
In general, no. These conflict with our licensing program. If you are a professional game developer and want to talk about licenses, write to the Director of Licensing.

The exception to this rule has to do with the In Nomine background. You can get permission to run a M*, IRC channel, or other Online Roleplaying Community (ORC) for In Nomine. The details are right here.

Run a game of GURPS, Toon or In Nomine on an online chat system, with a Game Master?
Yes; as we see it now, that's really no different from running a game for your friends in your living room. Anything more than a character creation game aid is a problem, because at that point it's not just like a game in your living room; it's more like a "computer game."
OpenRPG falls squarely into the second class, although so should IRC channels as they are the very definition of an online chat system (Internet Relay Chat).

Not sure if that helps clear up the situation or just muddies it further.

Better role playing than dragon slaying!
Naryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #13
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

No, that helps a lot. I'll prod at the thing a bit when I'm not running off to the kid's swim class in 2 minutes, but if it's nothing that "hey, I'll email you my character sheet" couldn't do, I won't get frazzled.

There's also a possibility that the online policy and the new game-aides policy have a slight disconnect -- that's not mine to rule on, though, but I'm going to try to ask SJ about it when I get my email back.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #14
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naryt
OpenRPG falls squarely into the second class, although so should IRC channels as they are the very definition of an online chat system (Internet Relay Chat).
I believe the intent (note that I'm in no way connected to sjgames beyond MIB status -- this is simply my own perception) is that running a game with a set of players using a newly created IRC channel which self-deletes after each 4-6 hours play session counts as the second category. An ongoing, continuously open game is what's meant to be limited.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #15
Naryt

Wheee!!!!! I was helpful! Hehe.

My own personal in no way linked to (other than loving to play) connection to anyone with any power (other than paying money for product) is that it all revolves around two specific key phrases: Environment and Game Master.

Environments persist and work without the need for a Game Master: Join the channel, fire up the client and BOOM you're a half demon living in West Fantasmia even if no one else is online with you. That is most definitely NOT the online equivalent of sitting around the kitchen table throwing dice. That's Everquest, related but definitely not the same.

Situations that require a GM and that are only online and live while the GM and cohorts are there (whether the channel self closes or is always there, waiting for the return of the Master) are just like the kitchen table that becomes the kingdom of Lesser Grundia every Thursday night but stays in place to serve as a simple kitchen table every other night of the week.

Better role playing than dragon slaying!
Naryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #16
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

What Naryt just said is indeed what I feel the difference is. If the environment persists, as that of a MUSH/MUD/MOO can, and everyone there expects to be in-character whenever they're logged in, moving around to different areas in-character... That needs an ORC.

If the environment is one room, and periodically people get together to game in it, then even if the environment is called "The Marches," and even if people tend to leave their in-character names up when they're not playing... It's still really just an online tabletop.

Maybe some of the players get together and do silly semi-in-character stuff when the GM's not around, and maybe they do side-stuff and send the logs to the GM... It's still nothing that they couldn't do in real life, if they didn't happen to be in California and Norway, respectively, and having lunch together. (Well, sending the log to the GM is a bit more detailed than just sending notes...)

The other distinction is that in a multiplayer M*-based game, the more players the better, as I understand it. In a tabletop game, it's a lot more like a tabletop -- one GM at a time, generally, and that GM is limited to the number of players she (or he) can cat-herd at a time. Thus, online tabletop games have a limited membership, and may be on obscure little M*s, and in obscure little rooms in an M*.

And, natch, IRC doesn't even keep the channel around after everyone's left...

Tags
net play