Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #31
Ashtagon

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Administration

I find it somewhat ironic that in a thread about Administration skill, we are discussing correct procedures for discussing skills and posting skill-related threads.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #32
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Which brings us back to what happens when you fail your administration roll. Underlings misinterpret instructions. Things that really ought to have been done aren't. You end up serving pork to the visiting Jewish dignitary. Administration can easily count as an 'attention to detail' skill. And the skill of 'conveying precise expectations in an organization'.

I often use a quasi-house rule to speed preparation along. If a large amount of equipment is packed for a journey, and the characters need an item, I let them roll to see if it was packed. The roll is modified for size, expense, and relation to expected trip. I allow several skills to work, but administration is probably on the top of that list, and is the most general of them. The others are task-specific: survival for packing wilderness survival supplies, Soldier or Explosives for packing bomb defusing equipment, and so forth.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #33
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
I find it somewhat ironic that in a thread about Administration skill, we are discussing correct procedures for discussing skills and posting skill-related threads.
The same thought occurred here. And I'm sure some of us are rolling at default. :)

Actually, that brings up an interesting point -- are there other skills that could reasonably give a default Administration roll besides Merchant? For example, as a reporter, I've covered governments at various levels (city, county, school board, legislature) for about 16 years. That's a lot of budgets and procedures negotiated and translated into English. But I think giving myself a point in Administration would be an overly generous assessment of my management abilities!

I see three alternatives in my own case:
1) Make me a Dabbler in Administration.
2) Set my IQ high enough for this to be covered as part of the "general knowledge" IQ default.
3) Allow a default from Professional Skill: Journalist, given the context. (Or maybe from an appropriate Current Affairs skill, instead.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #34
Not another shrubbery

Default [OT]Length of Sotw project

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
My intention is to do all of the skills in Basic, except for the ones that get discussed endlessly (e.g., melee weapon skills) where another thread probably won't give much benefit. And, yes, it's going to be a long job.
Gad! Do you already have outlines for much of them? How long do you expect it to take?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #35
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
For example, as a reporter, I've covered governments at various levels (city, county, school board, legislature) for about 16 years. That's a lot of budgets and procedures negotiated and translated into English. But I think giving myself a point in Administration would be an overly generous assessment of my management abilities!

2) Set my IQ high enough for this to be covered as part of the "general knowledge" IQ default.
3) Allow a default from Professional Skill: Journalist, given the context. (Or maybe from an appropriate Current Affairs skill, instead.)
Some Current Affairs specialties, perhaps (Business and Government, FREX).
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #36
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
The same thought occurred here. And I'm sure some of us are rolling at default. :)

Actually, that brings up an interesting point -- are there other skills that could reasonably give a default Administration roll besides Merchant? For example, as a reporter, I've covered governments at various levels (city, county, school board, legislature) for about 16 years. That's a lot of budgets and procedures negotiated and translated into English. But I think giving myself a point in Administration would be an overly generous assessment of my management abilities!

If you could interpret bureaucratic documents but not actually run an organization yourself Expert skill is an option.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:03 AM   #37
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [OT]Length of Sotw project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Do you already have outlines for much of them? How long do you expect it to take?
No, except for the meta-outline of "Look at what Basic and appropriate supplements currently say, and find some questions to ask." I haven't counted up how many skills there are or how many I'm going to skip. The nice thing about doing one per week is that I can do those things as we go along.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:46 AM   #38
Anders

I'm using it for NPCs to run the big-farm-villages and, of course, to organize logistics for large raids. Raids are fun.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #39
nik1979

Part of planning and any major organisation task,. The party presented a plan to emperor alexios and details of there plan is resolved with a hard administration roll against the people who would criticise the plan.
Basically take many project like tasks and use administration to affect level of efficiency and details. Without administration details trip up the PC's plans.
MIB#2428

Last edited by nik1979; 05-29-2014 at 07:44 AM.
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #40
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I'm using it for NPCs to run the big-farm-villages and, of course, to organize logistics for large raids. Raids are fun.
Good reminder. This skill was one of Nathanael Greene's best (along with an understanding of Fabian tactics) and probably saved George Washington's army.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
administration, basic, skill of the week, skills