Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
KevinJ

Default Re: Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Unless they brought salt.
And who doesn't bring salt?

I left out Zorses. That's a cross between a male Zebra and a mare. They are a real thing, but not really a good mount. Stats for Zorses in Goranth.
Zorse
ST 24-28 DX 14 IQ 6 MA 24 Prot 0
Attacks: adjDX Dmg
Kick............14..........1+1
Desc: a very ugly horse with a striped pattern in brown and black. They are excellent draft and pack animals, but are terrible mounts. Not only is their gate awkward, but they hate bearing a rider.
Wild zorses are native to the valleys of the Dejonge range and animal handlers often go there to capture wild zorses for taming and breeding.

A lot of animals that are used as draft animals never became useful for riding animals for a variety of reasons. Some just aren't 'big' enough to support a human rider (reindeer and antelope are good examples) while others have horns or antlers that would really get in the way, like moose.

In your world any mount like critter could be a mount.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #12
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I left out Zorses. That's a cross between a male Zebra and a mare. They are a real thing, but not really a good mount.

… They are excellent draft and pack animals, but are terrible mounts. Not only is their gate awkward, but they hate bearing a rider.
That's nothing a few hundred years of selective breeding couldn't fix. Somebody should get to work on that. (In the Real World™, I mean. Obviously Cidrian Zorses can already be as tame and domesticated as we want.)

When I looked them up to see a photo, I found some people calling them "Zebroids", which is a distinctly cooler name, although it also sounds like an 80s arcade game. But they look like Mules with racing stripes, so I think I like them.

Whoops. Just read (and should have expected) that they are indeed like Mules, in that they're sterile. So I guess that breeding program ain't gonna work. Not on Earth, at least.

Last edited by FireHorse; 05-06-2019 at 03:21 PM.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
larsdangly

O.k., if you don't like my Slime suggestion, then how about scorpions? Not giant scorpions: Regular scorpions. You get however many you need to total a ST of 20 or so (maybe 1000?), put them inside a transparent sphere, and then tempt them to squirm in one direction or another by holding out whatever it is scorpions like to chase. As the ball rolls the direction they are squirming, you gingerly balance on top, like a circus seal on a ball.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
FireHorse

Yeah, that's much better. I can totally see a warband of Orcs rolling along in those. While I'm at it, I'll pack the whole assault force into a Clown Car, and give their leader one of those tiny little tricycles. Perfect! Thanks.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #15
KevinJ

For your consideration...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...s_Unicycle.jpg