Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #21
XRaysVision

Default Re: Other Settings to TfT - Any Interest?

A couple of points.

First, not to throw a wet blanket on the exchange of ideas, but...beware of copyright and trademark infringement. Now, I'm not saying that you can't do a Middle Earth, Conan, or other well known setting adaptation for your own/group use. Just be careful what you push out online. This is especially true when you talk about adapting material from other games. If you want to use material directly from, say, Tunnels & Trolls, you might want to drop a line to Flying Buffalo before you share it with the world.

So, the discussion of *what* and *how* other materials and sources can be used is fair game. Specifics, though, might get you and, if you put it on this forum, SJG, a "cease and desist" order.

I don't think the discussion has even come close to any intellectual property issues thus far. For instance, I will tell you that I love the LotR and fully intend to use that setting in my gaming. However, I also know that the JRRT estate has sold the rights to RPG, miniatures, and board games to specific companies. Knowing this, I cannot publish my adaptions.
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #22
JohnPaulB

Girl Genius?
Steam Punkish (gaslamp) fantasy by Phil Foglio (artist for GURPs IOU). Steve knows him.

But probably this is better suited to GURPS. When will GURPS Girl Genius be coming out?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #23
JohnPaulB

I liked Midkemia Press's Midkemia North Western Triaga continent setting books: Carse, Jonril, Sunken Lands, Tulan, etc.

http://www.midkemia.com/

These books were going to have their own rule system, but that was never published. MP made the books in such a way that other game systems could use them.

Midkemia may be familiar to most of you as the planet that Magician and the Rift Wars took place. These were authored by Raymond Feist, who also helped create MP lands. These lands are set 500 years after Magician starts and after The Great Cataclysm happens.

Is it possible that with the relaunch of TFT (a system that came out when Midkemia Press started), Steve Abrams' might allow sharing of this land?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #24
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
I liked Midkemia Press's Midkemia North Western Triaga continent setting books: Carse, Jonril, Sunken Lands, Tulan, etc.
... MP made the books in such a way that other game systems could use them.

Hi John,
I bought a couple of the Midkemia press adventures and thought they were very well written. However, I found that they worked best if the 'other game systems' were very close to D&D. :-(

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #25
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by enelsonmo View Post
Any interest in porting other settings to the TfT engine? I saw Glorantha is now available for Runequest and 13th Age. Would a Glorantah TfT game be fun? Or an Empire of the Petal Throne TfT game. I would enjoy seeing a game with the base TfT rules and either setting in one self contained game book.
Well, I am revising my TFT Traveller article now, for my own use. I'm also completely redoing the high-tech combat system. 30 additional years of gaming experience allows me to envision (I think) a better system.

For a TFT setting post (say) 1600 AD, a few - but remarkably few - changes need to be made to the combat system. The most important is some kind of overwatch option that allows a figure to shoot an enemy during the enemy movement phase. This is necessary to resolve the age-old wargaming problem of "panzerbushing".
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #26
Terquem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Girl Genius?
Steam Punkish (gaslamp) fantasy by Phil Foglio (artist for GURPs IOU). Steve knows him.

But probably this is better suited to GURPS. When will GURPS Girl Genius be coming out?
I understand a Girl Genius Munchkin expansion is on the way.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #27
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
This is going to sound bug wild, but

My dream campaign to run would be a sort of 70s-era dark urban fantasy/psychic horror deal. Draw from stuff like Phenomenon, Carrie, Firestarter, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Scanners, Trancers. Bikers, hippies, occultists, and witches straight out of The Wicker Man or Rosemary's Baby. No cell phones, but muscle cars and pay phones. Probably some alien invaders from space and other dimensions. Some kung fu drama, all that good stuff. Because it's me, I'd draw from a lot of random horror movies. The balance would change somewhat because of the lack of common medium-to-heavy armor, but a leather motorcycle jacket is a decent substitute for leather armor. Not quite realistic in terms of it slowing down bullets, but whatever, I'd let it pass.
The current run of 70s nostalgia might make this a real seller.

Quote:
I've been kicking around some ideas about an IQ-affecting equivalent of Fatigue for horror/sanity damage, but I actually dislike the way Call of Cthulhu does things, so I'd want to make sure it doesn't resemble that in any way.
We discussed this a bit here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ghlight=sanity

My thoughts at the time:

"Since there’s no attribute that really covers courage, maybe a fear mechanic should simply be to roll 3d6 on a fear effects chart. The range might be “you laugh at it” to “you run away in blind terror”. In TFT fashion, low is good for the figure, high is bad. More frightening things might roll 4d or get a positive modifier. Less frightening things might get a negative modifier or roll 1 less dice. There could be a “courage” talent, which would let you roll 1d less."

Perhaps a cheap "foolhardy" talent that lets you roll 2 dice less, but requires an IQ roll to voluntarily retreat (unless outnumbered at least 2 to 1).

I never had time to put together a "fear chart".
Old 08-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #28
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
This is going to sound bug wild, but

My dream campaign to run would be a sort of 70s-era dark urban fantasy/psychic horror deal. Draw from stuff like Phenomenon, Carrie, Firestarter, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Scanners, Trancers. Bikers, hippies, occultists, and witches straight out of The Wicker Man or Rosemary's Baby. No cell phones, but muscle cars and pay phones. Probably some alien invaders from space and other dimensions. Some kung fu drama, all that good stuff. Because it's me, I'd draw from a lot of random horror movies. The balance would change somewhat because of the lack of common medium-to-heavy armor, but a leather motorcycle jacket is a decent substitute for leather armor. Not quite realistic in terms of it slowing down bullets, but whatever, I'd let it pass.

I've been kicking around some ideas about an IQ-affecting equivalent of Fatigue for horror/sanity damage, but I actually dislike the way Call of Cthulhu does things, so I'd want to make sure it doesn't resemble that in any way.

Sounds like you want a Kung Fury setting!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #29
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi John,
I bought a couple of the Midkemia press adventures and thought they were very well written. However, I found that they worked best if the 'other game systems' were very close to D&D. :-(

Warm regards, Rick.
I used the Cities supplement constantly in my early days of GMing (1981-83). I still do when I create a city.

I also used Carse, Tulan and Jonril as sourcebooks. And a supplement with 6 or so small towns (the title escapes me). I lost that one many years ago.

They were very well written products and haven't been exceeded in sophistication (of the content; obviously presentation has improved a lot).
Old 08-21-2018, 05:51 AM   #30
Helborn

Simple Runequest adaptation: use ST as is , IQ as is, DX as AdjDX. Drop all other Attributes. Ignore the magic system for anyone not a Rune priest or lord. Turn them into wizards. Apply appropriate talents ignoring the percentile characteristics.