Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #21
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - Posts other than GURPS (PotG)

So, we've laid siege to a castle without a goal or a plan of any sort, captured two defensible areas and set one of them on fire, and endangered the one set of people that we seem to be here to protect.

Pretty standard way to begin a session for us. But we seize the high ground, scamper around like headless chickens, and manage to survive to a pause in the fighting.

Alas, the magical armor that seemed destined for my character had to be left behind. Sometimes it's hard to be a paladin.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #22
Kalzazz

How depressing! Poor armor!
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #23
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
How depressing! Poor armor!
I know! it's going to be lonely without its owner. And it must have been divine guidance that let us defeat a 15th level bad guy!

(Of course, perhaps that armor was just there as a test of my faith. One which I suppose I passed - I did abandon the booty to get the priests - but it was probably too near a thing. Ah, well. I'm not a 15th level paladin. I'm still learning.)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #24
Kalzazz

My level 1 3.0 paladin at one point was awarded by the DM +1 full plate and a +1 sword (+3 vs Evil), and then the next session the DM was like 'Oops! To much reward!' and took it all away
Old 04-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #25
DouglasCole

Yet another video of people doing remarkable things in armor made me think about whether really spry people in full armor should really lose all of their DEX bonus. As I note, I'm not sure I'd mod the game, but it did get me thinking.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #26
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yet another video of people doing remarkable things in armor made me think about whether really spry people in full armor should really lose all of their DEX bonus. As I note, I'm not sure I'd mod the game, but it did get me thinking.
While live-action roleplaying combat is not particularly realistic in that we use foam weapons, we do use real armor for the most part. I wore a coat of plates and plate pieces (arms, legs) for two of my characters.

Even did a back flip in the ensemble although I have to admit it wasn't intentional and would not try it again. I was surprised, started to fall backwards and for whatever reason wound up doing a full flip landing on my feet. We all stood there stunned. Looking at each other for a beat and than I ran. (I was ambushed when I was alone).

What critical is doing anything athletic in full panoply is that it is properly fitted. And for the most of the armor you where that means the straps are all the right lengths and you are belted up properly (this is important for chain).

Of Chain versus Plate, it is far easier to do athletics in plate as chain is a shifting mass of metal on your head and body supported by a few points (your shoulders, the crown of your head, etc. Belting properly distributes the weight better.

Plate in contrast is strapped to your body at several point of contact. Properly fitted plate feel like wearing football or hockey gear. Obviously medieval warriors are carrying more weight than sports players today. But like modern athletics they have conditioned their endurance to deal with a full day of wearing armor.

My own gear weighed 40 to 50 pounds by itself and when I was attending events every month I could wear it the entire weekend and fight when I needed to without being winded. At times I could even outrun lightly clad fighters but the point where I got out of breath came a lot sooner for me.

You learned to accommodate that because the last you wanted to have happen is be so out of breath that you start flailing with your weapon. I sat down whenever I could, I worked at my armor setup so when I moved it "breathed" to keep me cool in the summer. I cut my kit down to the absolute bare minimum and kept everything else secured in my cabin.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #27
Kalzazz

Did you find armor caused problems trying to stop quickly?

I found when LARPing that armor seemed to provide little impediment to most things except for stopping, but the added momentum of the armor left me on the ground a few times when trying to stop quickly, especially on slick grass or snow

I didn't notice any appreciable hampering to how fast I ran or how quickly I tired, but I believe that is because I am sufficiently slow and out of shape that a lurching waddle of 5mph is my top sprint even in track gear. My normal LARP move was either a slow amble or occasionally more of a GURPS step. I only very rarely moved more than say 10 yds at anything faster than a placid walk (I'm the sort of person that at a dead sprint moving forward is slower than someone is running backwards while loading a bow)

However, I will note my LARPing had a distinct lack of stairs. While I was a CO I could usually forget I was even wearing my thrust vest and other gear, until I climbed stairs. Then I really felt it
Old 04-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #28
Kalzazz

Out of curiosity, foam swords, real armor - Amtgard?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #29
robertsconley

Quote:
Did you find armor caused problems trying to stop quickly?
Sort of with Chainmail. I am a large guy so the extra weight never hindered me as much as the smaller guys. With Plate if the straps got lost or I didn't positioned it right it interfere with doing anything athletic.

Quote:
However, I will note my LARPing had a distinct lack of stairs. While I was a CO I could usually forget I was even wearing my thrust vest and other gear, until I climbed stairs. Then I really felt it
When I first starting wearing gear it was tiring. At the height of my participation I was doing stuff twice a month and it got me into pretty good shape fitness wise. It got to where I didn't notice it much at all. The ease of wearing Armor in mind it definitely about how fit you are.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #30
robertsconley

Quote:
Out of curiosity, foam swords, real armor - Amtgard?
NERO, I play, ran events, and wound up owning a NERO chapter, ARGO. Did all of this for 13+ years and then had to turn things over when I started a family. It was pretty good experience but a ton of work especially to run events and manage a chapter.