Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default [IW, Yrth]"You arrive ... where?"

Conveyors take you to the same location in a different world, and using a projector doesn't change that (B530, B531). Jumper is the same (B64).

But Yrth has radically different geography. Ytarria in is the northern hemisphere and about 3,000 miles across east-west (Banestorm, p4). This does not all cover all of the areas on Earth from which banestorms have brought people to Yrth.

So either the geographical correspondence doesn't apply when travelling to Yrth, or a banestorm can relocate its passengers radically, or both. Either is plausible. Lack of geographical correspondence is an extra problem in cross-world physics, but means deliberate travellers to Yrth probably don't end up in the sea hundreds of miles from land.

Any opinions?
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [IW, Yrth]"You arrive ... where?"

There has to be some give, otherwise elevation differences of a few feet or even inches would constantly kill or damage travelers and cargo.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Banestorms play by their own rules, and often break even those.
It's like trying to predict where a hurricane will deposit a specific object.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
Jürgen Hubert

I'd say that Ytarria probably corresponds to North America in purely geographical terms, and the banestorm probably felt no need to deposit people at the corresponding geographical location.

As for Homeliners wanting to reach Yrth with technological means... perhaps they use zeppelin conveyors? Note that they cannot take their means of transportation back...
Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
RogerBW

Banestorms are classified with Other Hazards in the Infinite Worlds book, and I'd argue that there's no reason they shouldn't shift one's location in transit just as nexus portals and dimensional highways do.

(And it seems to me that any world that has any difference in the moon - which Yrth certainly does - will have sufficiently different rotation that the idea of "the same place" is pretty nebulous anyway.)

As for getting there with a conveyor, I'd be inclined to attach a parachute to a stripped-down standard model, which would be disassembled and buried on arrival.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
I'd say that Ytarria probably corresponds to North America in purely geographical terms, and the banestorm probably felt no need to deposit people at the corresponding geographical location.
From the east-west size it seems to correspond well enough to Eurasia that between the "pseudo-medieval" feeling with pseudo-vikings in the north and Sahaud, I'd say it's "roughly equivalent" to Eurasia and damned to the details.

Total agreement that the Banestorms dump people willy-nilly.

A glider, blimp, or parachute equipped conveyor does seem to be the safest way to go to Yrth, presuming you know the problem exists. I'd preferrably gloss over the point entirely, because it's clearly going to be difficult - Yrth may not even be at the same time of the year/point in orbit around the sun, and I just don't want to cope with that.

If forced to come up with an explanation, I'd say whatever effect that makes Yrth a Sargasso has an annoying habit of dumping parachronic travellers at demi-random locations, as if they arrived in a mini-Banestorm-on-demand.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I would say that while the locations are semi-random, there are still areas that map to each other. Most of the continent seems to map to specific areas of the world, though not of the same geographic size.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
As for getting there with a conveyor, I'd be inclined to attach a parachute to a stripped-down standard model, which would be disassembled and buried on arrival.
Magnesium alloy frame (highly flammable) with all non-magnesium parts surrounded by thermite. Bury the small amounts of remaining slag if you feel like it.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Astromancer

I'd go with the idea that a given Earth location takes you to a given spot of Yrth, but the placement seems ramdom because the sorting principle isn't known. Example: A conveyor heading out of southern Manhattan might land in Northwestern Caithness. The same conveyor hopping out of northern Manhattan might land in Cardiel or on an unexplored Southern contient of Yrth.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 11-08-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Like a map projection overlay melded with an Escher painting.

Tags
banestorm, infinite worlds, parachronics, yrth