Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2018, 01:44 AM   #11
Ottriman

Default Re: Help building a other-wordly-esque creature

I am now reminded of an old thread about how to homebrew up a "Swallow Whole" ability that wasn't such a kludge like modified constriction attack.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=132239

Hope this helps.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:00 AM   #12
joppeknol

Is it correct, that the creature is capable of receiving an almost infinite amount of cp based on skills?

In that case it would need an infinite amount of cp. Still doable. Just write down that it works that way and forget about point cost.

I think you need a set of modular abilities in order to avoid an infinite amount. The amount of modular ability slots should be high enough to impersonate a character or to use his skill set if needed. However, it would mean that there is a limit on the amount of knowledge it can steal from a victim. If the victim was a extremely skilled person, the knowledge of that person would be too high to be stored in the beast. People would find out that Einstein suddenly 'only' has skill 14 in physics!
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottriman View Post
I am now reminded of an old thread about how to homebrew up a "Swallow Whole" ability that wasn't such a kludge like modified constriction attack.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=132239

Hope this helps.
This one is nice, I am studying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Do you have Powers?

Yeah, I got the book.

(...)

So to learn skills and memories go with Mind Probe (Cosmic, Works on the dead, +50%; Memory Bank, +150%)
You still need a power like Wild Talent or a Modular Ability pool for skills but Morph could handle that instead with GM permission, especially if coupled with the Mind Probe above.
OK, so you mean morph lets me employ the other characters' sheet, and so I get the skills and abilities... right?

But how do I copy its mind? (I don't want my character to fail just as "the thing" did. It should be able of completely replicating the assimilated characters).

Part of the intention with this creature, is completely impersonating the other subject w/o the need of using mimicry or modular abilities etc. It is like doing a copy paste of a subject (i.e. as in the movie the 6th day), probably as a reverse mind-transfer.

After such "reverse mind transfer" however, the assimilated subject is no longer the subject, just a "perfect" copy of the original creature (a "slave mind"). It could think it still is the original, but in fact it is under complete control of the monster (which is the "master-mind"); and the "slave-mind" cannot resist the "master mind". The "slave mind" might forget about the events on demand of the "master mind", but it is working under the "master-mind"'s control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
Is it correct, that the creature is capable of receiving an almost infinite amount of cp based on skills? (...)
The creature should be able to morph into the assimilated being, at least providing its physical stats (ST, HT, DX). While the other stats (mental) are covered by the creature's stats.

The creature should as well, be capable of "upgrading itself" by acquiring the best traits of the subjects it assimilates. This includes "downloading" skills from the subjects, improving physical stats, appareance, etc.

So, regarding the CP, maybe it does not really need an infinite pool of CP; but it could acquire CP from the subjects it assimilates. Afterall, the creature is capable of analyze a subject and modify itself to acquire the traits it needs.

So, maybe it could "mind probe" the skills it requires from the assimialted subjects, and "download" them just as they do in the matrix movie, the skill level should be at least the same as the subject's original skill.

(Hope I explained myself).

- Hide

Last edited by Hide; 12-10-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote