Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: GCA Sheet vs Handwritten Sheet

I don't use either. Some of my players have character design software; I don't use it, and I don't accept its output until I've gone through it line by line.

In the process, I copy it into a Word file, laid out to suit my own preferences. I print out the file, once the player is happy, and that's their character sheet. They can annotate it in pencil or ink as they choose; from time to time I enter the changes and make an updated file and an updated print.

I reclaim the file at the end of each session and put it into a binder.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
dcarson

I like to keep a copy of character sheets so that I can plan based on what advantages, disadvantages and skills they have. If I use handwritten ones it is harder to make copies and with several players I'd have no idea what most of the things are because the handwriting is unreadable.
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
Perssek

Most of my players are lazy, rules-hating bastards. Therefore, they do NOT use any kind of pen, pencil or even mechanical pencil to write even the most basic piece of information into their sheets. All of them use GCA, with sheets and campaign files made by me. Then, they send me the character files by e-mail. I print them, and we start gaming.

Whenever they have to update their characters (to expend the gained experience points), they use my laptop, and then we print the new character sheet. I am the only one making stuff by hand (or word processor files).
Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
thulben

In the campaign that I just wrapped up, I made it so that everyone used GCS. The character sheet that I had at midnight the day of the game session was what they used... even if it's the one they sent me for the last session! I think it's only fair that I be allowed to take into consideration updates to the character in designing a session. If I had it to do again, I might create a shared folder in dropbox and do it that way but keep the rest of it the same.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
panton41

I use GCA and what sold me on it was when I converted the first GURPS 4th Ed. character I made on paper into it and found out how many little details I'd missed.

I know it's not perfect, but at least I know it'll get the math right.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
In the campaign that I just wrapped up, I made it so that everyone used GCS. The character sheet that I had at midnight the day of the game session was what they used... even if it's the one they sent me for the last session! I think it's only fair that I be allowed to take into consideration updates to the character in designing a session. If I had it to do again, I might create a shared folder in dropbox and do it that way but keep the rest of it the same.
Made sure? You know, I'd drop a campaign before I'd use a program to make a character. You must have amazingly compliant players.

Bill Stoddard
Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't use either. Some of my players have character design software; I don't use it, and I don't accept its output until I've gone through it line by line.
Totally different approaches. I certainly don't have time for that. Nor do I demand the players let me keep their sheets. I play with adults and expect theyll do some of the work, be honest, and generally help me run the game. YMMV.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Totally different approaches. I certainly don't have time for that. Nor do I demand the players let me keep their sheets. I play with adults and expect theyll do some of the work, be honest, and generally help me run the game. YMMV.
It totally does. I am willing for my players to do as much of the work as they can handle. But in addition to trivial stuff like check the math and the rules legality, I want to make sure that they're taking traits appropriate to the setting, and that they're assigning suitable values to variable cost things, and I'm likely to suggest ways they can do more efficient builds, or that certain traits that they didn't pick would fit their concept well, or even are necessary to make sense of the kind of character they have.

And a lot of my players just are not strongly game mechanics minded. When I think of wanting them to do some of the work, I think of coming up with interesting roles to play, coming up with good back stories, and even suggesting things that will add to the worldbuilding; and I think of figuring out dramatic things for the characters to do. I select first for people who can do that. I don't care if they have a strong grip on the mechanics. If they have a good concept I'll help them devise appropriate mechanics.

Bill Stoddard
Old 06-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #19
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It totally does. I am willing for my players to do as much of the work as they can handle. But in addition to trivial stuff like check the math and the rules legality, I want to make sure that they're taking traits appropriate to the setting, and that they're assigning suitable values to variable cost things, and I'm likely to suggest ways they can do more efficient builds, or that certain traits that they didn't pick would fit their concept well, or even are necessary to make sense of the kind of character they have.
Oh, I generally do this sort of stuff, but I don't recopy it. We use GCA, and I get updates of the files. That also allows me to use the GM control sheet, which is handy. This also saves a lot of time. I thought you were scrutinizing sheets for mischievous player mathematics. I remember doing that in my teenage years, though not now. My bad, Bill.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #20
Onkl

There seems to be as many approaches to this as there are gaming groups, which is fine.

I was just looking for a way to optimize, but now I am quite content with the way I do it - what sparked this thread was a gaming session we had last saturday where, due to bad planing on my part as well as a bit laziness on the players, the game did not evolve as I wanted (they made combat oriented chars, I wanted them to have more social skills). But that's just because I did not do it with my standart procedure which is as follows:

First I send my players a short campaign description with a list of questions regarding their character.
Once I get their answers to my questions, I begin to build a character with it. I then return my proposal to them along with point total, disadvantage limit, necessary advs/disadvs/skills... an let them customize.
This then usually goes back and forth a few times between me and the players until we both are satisfied.
Then we fix a date for the first gaming session.

Thanks for all your answers!
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character sheet, gca, gm advice