Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-08-2018, 03:52 AM   #21
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: New Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Obviously game styles will vary and if you feel it breaks your game you wouldn't use it.
Well, it is not my game I am concerned about Chris; it is the game run by future neophyte GMs and Players, who, if they all end up taking this talent - and at IQ8 and 1 point, what newbie could resist - will miss out on so much added drama, tension, and fun.

It is those people I am concerned about with the inclusion of such a talent at such low IQ and cost.

If I was forced to include it in the rules-set, I would make the talent reflect *years* of specialized training, and seriously raise the IQ requirement *and* the cost - so it would be very rare among members of an adventure party.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:00 AM   #22
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Well, it is not my game I am concerned about Chris; it is the game run by future neophyte GMs and Players, who, if they all end up taking this talent - and at IQ8 and 1 point, what newbie could resist - will miss out on so much added drama, tension, and fun.

It is those people I am concerned about with the inclusion of such a talent at such low IQ and cost.

If I was forced to include it in the rules-set, I would make the talent reflect *years* of specialized training, and seriously raise the IQ requirement *and* the cost - so it would be very rare among members of an adventure party.

JK
Well, I'd say the prerequisite should be that you have the Talent for both weapons, the Thrown weapons Talent and perhaps a min adjDX to use it. And perhaps 2 points is a fairer cost. I wouldn't allow it in conjunction with a missile weapon. In my games it was intended for the skilled javelin/axe thrower, who could throw and then rush into combat.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:03 AM   #23
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Here are 32 new talents
There are more possibilities if you think about court life, like hawking, hunting, and heraldry (I'm sure there inspirational are scenes from Game of Thrones for this).
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 AM   #24
ecz

First aid.
It costs only one point, level 9.
works as a "minor physicker" Heals one point and works even without any medical equipment making a 3d/DX. The Physicker talent costs 1 if the Character already has First Aid.

Also I love the idea of a sort of "level two" for many talents that come only in one version without a reason:

silent movement II
climbing II
Acrobatics II

tracking II
woodsman II
spying II
chemist II
alchemy II
mathematician II

the first three should have an high DX (15?) as prerequisite

finally I'm in the camp of who thinks that a "quick draw" talent is not that useful for playing and combat balance.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:51 AM   #25
pyratejohn

Navigation would be useful.

Also, since we have Tactics (maybe it would sound better as Tactician?) and Strategist as a skill progression, how about we include a level above Captain, call it Commodore and Admiral, that would allow a +2 on initiative and include the ability to command a fleet?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:55 AM   #26
pyratejohn

Quote:
Membership (contacts, influence)
  • Guilds
  • Police
  • Government
  • Royalty
  • Military
I would think those would be included as a perk of having a job.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #27
pyratejohn

Artillery, for the use of VERY large crossbows (ballista) and other siege weapons, even if we don't have rules for them yet.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:07 AM   #28
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
Quote:
Membership (contacts, influence)
  • Guilds
  • Police
  • Government
  • Royalty
  • Military

I would think those would be included as a perk of having a job.
Hi Pyratejohn,

I wasn't thinking just simple membership, I was thinking ranking membership -- I'll edit the post for that. Ranking membership in an influential organization should cost at least 1 talent point to represent the work it takes to get there.

What you say makes sense with the current rules, where the only thing social talents can do, mechanically, is affect a reaction roll. Social talents in the RAW are very weak sauce.

Many of the talents I listed only make sense if there are contest rules and SJ did say that we need them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
We absolutely need to add a mechanic to do this - thanks for raising the issue, zot. GURPS has a mechanic, but I don't want to import it wholesale.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:09 AM   #29
pyratejohn

Marine, gives a +1 to adjDX while fighting aboard ship.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 AM   #30
pyratejohn

Quote:
What you say makes sense with the current rules, where the only thing social talents can do, mechanically, is affect a reaction roll. Social talents in the RAW are very weak sauce.

Many of the talents I listed only make sense if there are contest rules and SJ did say that we need them:
True, and we do need contest rules. I did a contest in my Tollenkar game last night because it seemed like the best way to handle the situation.