Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
GreatWyrmGold

Default How Many AP Should Be in an FP? Analysis

Pyramid 3-44 starts off with a section called "The Last Gasp," which includes "Action Points" to represent short-term fatigue. At the end of the section, it gives a suggestion that abilities which cost FP could be converted to AP instead. It mentions a conversion rate of 10 AP to one FP, but as an example rather than a rule, and also suggests changing the rate for "balance".
I decided to explore the effects of different conversion rates.

To do so, I will e xplore the following characters with semi-arbitrary statistics:
* Alexander Dark, an up-and-coming apprentice wizard. HT 11, FP 14, AP 11; Recover Energy 15. (I am assuming that Recover Energy lets you recover FP at double/quintuple rate under The Last Gasp rules; it's never actually explained.) Favored spells include Detect Magic (2 FP), Ice Dagger (3 FP/second charged), and Zombie (8 FP).
* Bianca Alamilla, a revolutionary psion. HT 10, FP 11, AP 14; psionic Energy Reserve 9. (I am assuming that energy reserves return at the same rate as normal FP.) Many of her abilities do not cost FP, but she can burn FP to improve her chance at teleporting (1 FP per +1), and her telepathic Mindstrike attack costs 1 FP per use.
* Chisomo, a cinematic martial artist. HT 15, FP 20, AP 20; qi ER 10. Possesses cinematic skills and techniques including Power Blow (1 FP) and a custom Triple Strike technique (3 FP).
* The Dallas Demon, a supervillain with super-strength and pyrokinesis. HT 13, FP 13, AP 20. Super-Effort ST (1 FP) allows bursts of strength; while most of his pyrokinetic powers don't cost FP, the mighty Hellfire Bomb attack (which immolates everything within a few hundred feet) costs 10 FP.

First, let us determine their FP and AP regeneration under Last Gasp rules.
Spoiler:  

We should now be able to do some evaluations of how various systems impact the characters.
Alexander Dark:
Spoiler:  

Bianca Alamilla:
Spoiler:  

Chisomo:
Spoiler:  

The Dallas Demon:
Spoiler:  

Now, for some thoughts.
A 1:1 AP:FP ratio leads to some pretty silly results, trivializing almost any FP cost. This may be appropriate to a four-color campaign or the like, but probably not right for most campaigns.
Generally speaking, non-combat abilities have their costs trivialized at higher AP:FP ratios than combat abilities. This shouldn’t be surprising, since AP are primarily a combat-oriented mechanic. Ideally, there would be a simple way to distinguish between combat and non-combat abilities; alas, there is not. The simplest divider would be usage time—anything which took more than, say, a minute (or 15 seconds or whatever) to activate would be a “noncombat ability”. There are, of course, a number of problems. The biggest would be abilities like Warp with a variable activation time, but the wide array of clearly noncombat abilities with short activation times also mess with this metric. Oh, and then there are abilities which can be used both in combat and out of it (Warp comes to mind again).
5:1 and 3:1 seem to be good ratios for combat abilities, and neither has particularly absurd results with noncombat abilities. 5:1 has a couple of advantages; normal humans recover 5 AP per FP spent (though PCs will likely have larger AP pools), and it makes the cost of an Extra AP limitation an easy -1%/level. Of course, 3:1 will work better for some campaigns.

Thoughts? Other points of view or methodologies? Anything I overlooked?

Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 01-01-2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Forgot this forum doesn't have spoiler= tags.
GreatWyrmGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: How Many AP Should Be in an FP? Analysis

Very nice analysis - thanks for doing it. Seems like that 5:1 point particular shines for making combat resource management matter.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
dripton

Great stuff. I've only used Last Gasp in a mundane combat game, never in a game with FP-powered spells or psi, so I've never really thought through this in detail before.

Looks like there's unfortunately not a clear answer. It's just another knob for the GM to set at the start of a campaign.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
Great stuff. I've only used Last Gasp in a mundane combat game, never in a game with FP-powered spells or psi, so I've never really thought through this in detail before.

Looks like there's unfortunately not a clear answer. It's just another knob for the GM to set at the start of a campaign.
My recommendation is to start high at the 5:1 level (costs more per FP equivalent), and then if you find your powered folks gimped too much, tone it down to 4:1, and then 3:1. Lower than that and I think you've got people slinging ridiculous amounts of power around with no real need to pause and recharge. Given the analysis above, I think the 5:1 ratio is a good place to start.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
Tyneras

I was also leaning towards the 5:1 and 3:1 ratios when I tried to convert Magic to AP. Bit off a bit more than I could chew, there.

I'd recommend making anything that resorts FP restore AP instead, and dump Recover Energy completely.

This would make things like Paut from DF1 restore 12 or 20 AP, and have Lend/Share Energy only Lend/Share AP.

These days I'm of the school of thought that I would make Magical Energy Reserve into Magical AP and give it it's own set of flavorful recovery events.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
Orochi-art

I'm still a bit slow from new year's eve. You suggest 5:1 or 3:1 ratio. Does this means if the spell was 1 FP; using new system changes that cost into 5 AP/ 3AP?
Orochi-art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi-art View Post
I'm still a bit slow from new year's eve. You suggest 5:1 or 3:1 ratio. Does this means if the spell was 1 FP; using new system changes that cost into 5 AP/ 3AP?
Yes, mostly. There will still be some GM judgement here, in that some things you might just want to say "yes, this used to cost FP when it meant it took 10min to recover. It still costs FP now that each one takes much longer. Suck it up."

But for the trade of FP to AP for powering spells that can be built up (say, dumping a bunch of FP into a fireball spell), you will want to do it at 5:1 to start. So each 1d damage for a damaging spell where 1 FP gave you 1d would now cost 5AP instead.

Extra AP cost 2 per level for "generically useful" AP. Extra FP costs 5 per level. Extra AP that are aspected for magery only might be 1/level with some level of maximum that would be GM discretion. Maybe HT/2 or 5 per level of Magery or something - so someone with Magery 6 and HT 10 might be able to dump 30pts into extra AP for spellcasting only.

I'm just winging it here, as I've never used AP for this purpose.

Tags
action points, the last gasp