Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
anthooony

Default Visual of Player's Setup

Hey everyone! I created a simple visual as to what I think is the card setup for a player in Munchkin (doesn't matter what version they have). If you see anything wrong with this, please feel free to put your 2 cents in this post. I am still trying to figure out if I am playing everything right and any insight is helpful.

NOTE: This is how I've been laying out my cards and playing them too. It is possible for people to have a different layout, but I am mainly trying to focus on if I have the right cards in the right place and how they are organized.

IMAGE HERE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5520/9...eea3bcb3_h.jpg

Hopes this helps the new players as well as current players who are still unsure of how to setup their cards like me :)

Last edited by anthooony; 08-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.
anthooony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
SmokeRulz

Default Re: Visual of Player's Setup

There really is no official way of setting things up. If I have enough room on the table, I like to arrange my equipped stuff like there's an invisible dummy on the table. Headgear on the top, footgear on the bottom, etc.

Also, your link doesn't work, so I can't comment on it!

EDIT: Now I can see it. Seems pretty standard, to me. I've had similar setups before, and everything is in a good spot.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1

Last edited by SmokeRulz; 08-17-2013 at 02:29 AM.
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
anthooony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRulz View Post
There really is no official way of setting things up. If I have enough room on the table, I like to arrange my equipped stuff like there's an invisible dummy on the table. Headgear on the top, footgear on the bottom, etc.

Also, your link doesn't work, so I can't comment on it!
Hey! Sorry about that. I've been having problems uploading the photo. But yeah, I am aware that people can lay their cards out anyway they want. I just want to make sure like the sections are correct.

Since I know there is one section for your Munchkin/Bonuses/Etc, one section cards that are in your hard, one for "Carried" Items such as Gear/Weapons and section of "Carried" Items that are like One-Shot Items/Gold Pieced Items.

I think I got the link updated. Let me know if you are able to view it now :D
Old 08-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
SmokeRulz

Yeah, I can see it, and I already updated my original post. I only had so much to say. ;P
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
anthooony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRulz View Post
Yeah, I can see it, and I already updated my original post. I only had so much to say. ;P
Awesome! Thanks so much for checking out my post/photo. I feel much more at ease on playing without hesitation now. Haha.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
six's monkey

IF you're keeping those green cards on the table, no problem, but keep -them- facedown. :-)
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
anthooony

Quote:
Originally Posted by six's monkey View Post
IF you're keeping those green cards on the table, no problem, but keep -them- facedown. :-)
Most definitely. They are Hand Cards which you keep in your hand or you can lay them down on the table if you get too lazy or tired to hold them the whole time. Haha. :) Thanks for the heads up! Other than that, does the setup look correct?

Also, I have a question as to Carrying Items such as the Unused Gear. Now, I know when you have a Big Item in play, the limit is only 1. Does the same rule apply when carrying gear/weapons/bonuses that you aren't using? Or can you carrying any amount of Big Items that you aren't using?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
MIB 9966

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthooony View Post
Also, I have a question as to Carrying Items such as the Unused Gear. Now, I know when you have a Big Item in play, the limit is only 1. Does the same rule apply when carrying gear/weapons/bonuses that you aren't using? Or can you carrying any amount of Big Items that you aren't using?
You can only carry 1 Big item, whether you are using it or not.
MIB 9966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

Some points:
  1. Carried Items are Items in play, unused or otherwise. You indicate some understanding of this by describing both sections for Items as carried Items. Since you can only carry 1 Big Item, that means you can only ever have one in play without some other card allowing you to have more.
  2. You can not play new Items to the table if they are not one-shots during combat, and even then, one-shots can only be played from the hand during combat to actively use them for that combat. It could be inferred that you are stating that you can only play Items to the table (one-shots and "normal" Items) during combat.
  3. I'm not sure what you mean by having "the same title in play." You might want to clarify that.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
anthooony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 9966 View Post
You can only carry 1 Big item, whether you are using it or not.
Gotcha. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Some points:
  1. Carried Items are Items in play, unused or otherwise. You indicate some understanding of this by describing both sections for Items as carried Items. Since you can only carry 1 Big Item, that means you can only ever have one in play without some other card allowing you to have more.
  2. You can not play new Items to the table if they are not one-shots during combat, and even then, one-shots can only be played from the hand during combat to actively use them for that combat. It could be inferred that you are stating that you can only play Items to the table (one-shots and "normal" Items) during combat.
  3. I'm not sure what you mean by having "the same title in play." You might want to clarify that.
So my understanding is that I can carry as many One-Shot items as I want but in order to use them, I have them in my hand. I cannot just use them when they aren't in my hand during combat? And by the "same title in play" means that say you have a Footgear equipped, you cannot use another Footgear. Sorry for the lame interpretation.

Thanks for always helping out!