Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Jadefire

Default King Tut/Wight Brothers Ruling

For cards like King Tut and Wight Brothers that say you lose 2 levels even if you escape from them, do you lose the 2 levels in addition to the bad stuff if you don't escape from them or does losing the levels only happen if you do escape?
Jadefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: King Tut/Wight Brothers Ruling

The only way you do not lose 2 levels is if you defeat these Monsters. However, for the Wight Brothers, whose Bad Stuff also causes (significant) level loss as well as other stuff does not have the level loss applied twice. ;-)

So, if you fail to Run Away from King Tut, you suffer it's Bad Stuff and lose 2 levels. If you fail to Run Away from the Wight Brothers, well, it really doesn't matter, since the Bad Stuff takes you to Level 1.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 05-07-2013 at 11:44 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Clipper

For completeness, Mr. Bones is an interesting case as it says you lose a level even if you escape and his Bad Stuff is to lose two levels. In this case, you only lose two levels if you are caught, not three.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Blazinjsin

Why would King Tut and Mr Bones have different effects for the same wording?

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazinjsin View Post
Why would King Tut and Mr Bones have different effects for the same wording?
Due to MunchkinMan's mention that you don't apply the level loss twice, which matches the following FAQ entry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Q. King Tut and the Wight Brothers say "Characters of higher Levels [than 3] lose 2 levels, even if they escape." Does that mean you lose two levels even if you defeat those monsters?
A. No. But if you cannot defeat them, then you must try to run away, and you'll lose the 2 levels even if you do escape. If they catch you, of course, you do suffer the Bad Stuff from those Monsters. (But you don't lose the two levels twice!)
So you shouldn't lose levels twice with Mr. Bones, but King Tut's Bad Stuff doesn't involve level loss so both effects happen.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
by_dome

Well, I still have some questions regarding this kind of foes...

Thing is, we're playing them as follows: If you encounter any of this undead enemies, you go down 2 levels instantly, and by defeating them you get to preserve your levels (so if I was 5, I don't go up to 7, no other monster are involved in this situation).

Is this correct??

The other Question is tied to the 1st one, So if in the case that we lose 2 levels instantly, and the combating player is in level 5, he goes down to 3, do they instantly ignore him or he must still have to fight/run away?
In the case that the lost levels apply immediately, I think it would be just fair that the player STILL needs to run away, and not ignored, that's just very convenient.

Any help will be appreciated.
by_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Sabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by by_dome View Post
Well, I still have some questions regarding this kind of foes...

Thing is, we're playing them as follows: If you encounter any of this undead enemies, you go down 2 levels instantly, and by defeating them you get to preserve your levels (so if I was 5, I don't go up to 7, no other monster are involved in this situation).

Is this correct??
No. If you defeat the monster, you do not lose any levels. You would gain the appropriate level(s) for winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by by_dome View Post
The other Question is tied to the 1st one, So if in the case that we lose 2 levels instantly, and the combating player is in level 5, he goes down to 3, do they instantly ignore him or he must still have to fight/run away?
In the case that the lost levels apply immediately, I think it would be just fair that the player STILL needs to run away, and not ignored, that's just very convenient.
The loss of levels occurs when you successfully run away, or fail to run away, and are applied at the end of combat when you would normally have gained your levels for winning.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Clipper

Yes, the level loss happens only after you admit defeat in the combat and then resolve your attempt to Run Away from that monster.

Also note that monsters that don't pursue you do fight you. It is possible to kill these monsters if you have a high enough combat strength. What the non-pursuit clause means is that when you admit defeat in the combat, you can escape those monsters without rolling to Run Away from them. They will not chase you and cannot do their Bad Stuff to you.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:26 AM   #9
kotya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
So you shouldn't lose levels twice with Mr. Bones, but King Tut's Bad Stuff doesn't involve level loss so both effects happen.
I disagree. FAQ entry particularly states "lose the two levels", not just "lose levels", so I think it only relates to the "even if they escape" condition, not to the Bad Stuff. My understanding was that it relates to case when you fight with King Tut (or Wight Brothers) and its Mate, and you will not have to lose 4 levels if you've escaped them both, just 2 levels. Could Andrew please confirm what is correct for this case?
kotya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:33 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

Since Andrew's not the only person who can give official answers, I'll tackle the Mate issue: It's a Monster that has the same Level, enhancements, and abilities as the one it's copying. If you're facing King Tut with Mate played on it, you will lose 4 levels if you have to Run Away. Same answer if you were facing both King Tut and Wight Brothers.

Mr. Bones, that's a potentially weird case, that I'll have to tackle once I'm ready.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote