Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Loot for otaku/geek

So, in a game I plan on running, the PCs are a black ops squad fighting against a corporation/paramilitary trying to take over the world, and the supernatural is involved. They are fielded by a corporation/paramilitary that has no legal jurisdiction but is trying to make the world a better place. Their Mission Control and resident hacker non combat NPC backup is a geek and otaku. What kind of items, if found in the bad guys' place through a live bodycam, would make Mission Control go nuts and offer pay out of pocket from her own personal Offshore Account if they managed to bring them back to her?

I'm just asking to bring some personality to salvage brought home by the PCs. Basically, I want my PCs sources of income to be a "mission fee" and "salvage fees" for any valuable brought back to fund the black ops part of the organization, and for valuable-but-not-tactically-useful (phones, laptops, jewelry, perfumes, and the like) the black ops team (including the support) getting first pick for buying salvage, then the rest of the organization, and then it hits a black market.

Basically, black ops are expensive, and so harmless salvage (not guns or drugs) is sold to finance black ops, and dangerous salvage (guns and ammo mostly) are put to use. The PC's paramilitary are morally gray but the opposite one is run by a megalomaniac bent on world domination.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #2
jason taylor

Default Re: Loot for otaku/geek

Beer stein full of terrabyte memory flash drives (has nothing to do with mission, just really cool).

Swiss Champ xavt (same)

Victorinox Cybertool (I couldn't use it but I bet your Smart Girl can and it would be really useful on duty as well as off).

Venetian Patrician's garb for SCA (no I don't know how to despoil anyone of that but it is really cool). With a real cut and thrust, side sword. At first I thought of what I would like though and of course she is female from what you say. SCA garb though would do. As would a sword though obviously you cannot use that in a convention.

Jadzia Dax costume. No I am not female but the character is and I think Jadzia is really cool.

Bat'lithe (Jadzia has to have one after all).

More seriously, a full scale hardend-case extra-snazzy, emergency-services style laptop with lots of firewalls and general stuff that screams, "I'm up to something and only your in-house geek can find out.

Accounts from some mysterious bank accounts.

Bit Coin flashdrives.

Plans to the heating duct of the new battle station (why not?).

Passwords to the enemies secure networks.

Lots of intell related materials.

For more fun stuff:

Illuminated copy of LotR (no I don't know why bad guy corpses would have that on them but whatever).

Every Delphi complete works.

Every Baen Book

Complete History of US Naval Operations in World War Two in E-format.

Complete songs of Loreena McKeenit, Enya, and Vera Lynn.

Infinite Starbucks Gift Card. Or enough gift cards to be effectively so.

Humungous pile of keychain pendants of varying motifs and themes but appropriate to the user's personality.

Of course I am thinking of what I would like.

Velcro straps for organizing twisties (keeping cords organized is a pain).

Roll of cuttable wire (yes really, it makes better fasteners then split rings if you have a cutter and a pliers to flatten the knot).

I-phone. Several I-phones in fact (my phone is a miserable little thing someone richer would consider disposable).

Tablets of any kind. An Apple looks attractive but more Kindles would be good too. With accessories like cases and skins. And someone with more steady hands to put a skin on.

Laptops.

Power bank with wind-up, solar, and cord rechargeable modes.

Are you getting all that? Please send it to me on my Birthday two weeks ago.

Seriously this seems like an easy question. Just ask what part of the loot from bad guy corpses the people here would want shared with them assuming they wanted such.

Last edited by jason taylor; 11-01-2018 at 07:09 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #3
jason taylor

Of course I just described myself. What is Mission Control like other then being geeky?
Old 10-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Irish Wolf

A complete Blu-Ray (or whatever tech is most recent for your game) collection of Neon Genesis Evangelion, with creator's commentary track.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
jason taylor

Just ask, "What is nerdy" and then, "What is nerdy in the way my character is nerdy."