Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2019, 12:02 AM   #21
Nereidalbel

Default Re: DR that prevents only damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Shock happens as a result of injury, injury happens as a result of damage, so you don't want your DR to stop the damage or the injury.

Using PK's 2007 idea DR which doesn't stop the damage being -100% offset by Absorbtion +80% is -20%...

The problem there is that 2 stored character points is needed to heal 1 HP, but there's a solution for that Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction: HALF [50].

This way half the damage your DR stops will be healed back, which is exactly how much you will suffer.

It doesn't give the FULL effect you're looking for since you'll be suffering half the shock penalties, but if you combine it will Low Pain Threshold, that ought to even it out right?
Overly complicated; the intended effect seems to be that only base damage is used for shock and such, which means using Damage Resistance. No ridiculous tracking on paper, just "use rolled damage to determine shock" and figure out how much of a limitation that is on Damage Resistance.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #22
Plane

I'm just thinking of a canon way to do it rather than eyeballing the limitation.

Costs Fatigue is -10%/level and "Costs Fatigue, Variable" allows a pricing system scaling FP cost on a leveled advantage.

DR is leveled like Innate Attack, so if you had DR that instated a DX/IQ penalty equal to its level, you could probably price it the same.

Since "Temporary Disadvantage" requires Switchable, you'll need to pay +10% upfront, but given that it's -40% for -1 to IQ and -1 to DX as a temporary disadvantage, you more than make it up.

So that you're not always suffering TD, you need to keep it off most of the time. So that it switches on when you need it: I think you would take "Reflexive".

I don't know whether it would make sense to buy "Variable" here too. B109's clearly designed for attacks, and P107 says "Non-attack abilities don’t need it – their range, area, level of effect, and so on are variable automatically."

But if you think about it... isn't it weird for DR inherently to be variable? If you have DR 3 (it hurts people to punch you) you could designate at any moment "I have DR 1" or "I have DR 0" so that people wouldn't hurt themselves, or so that you could easily receive a needle or an affliction?

If DR was variable by default then I think we'd need something like "All or Nothing" for those forced to use their full DR (ie can't become non-hard to punch, can't expose themselves to needles) and also "Always On" for people who can't use the "nothing" half of that (DR 0).
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
DR is leveled like Innate Attack, so if you had DR that instated a DX/IQ penalty equal to its level, you could probably price it the same.
Interesting approach. So if the DR 'gets used' you take 'shock penalties' in the form of DX and IQ penalties.

It could even be scaled so the first level is -1, the second is -2, third -3, and the fourth and further are prices with the full -4 to IQ and DX.

And then slap on a Nuisance Effect at -5% of something like "If DR activates and stops enough damage to cause a Knockdown and/or Stun check, you must make the check".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #24
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Interesting approach. So if the DR 'gets used' you take 'shock penalties' in the form of DX and IQ penalties.

It could even be scaled so the first level is -1, the second is -2, third -3, and the fourth and further are prices with the full -4 to IQ and DX.

And then slap on a Nuisance Effect at -5% of something like "If DR activates and stops enough damage to cause a Knockdown and/or Stun check, you must make the check".
I forgot about the knockdown/stun. I guess it also wouldn't well-emulate stuff like ANY shock to certain spots (face, vitals, groin) causing HT checks for major wounds.

Maybe some kind of auto-heal matched to whatever DR you're wanting really would be the solution.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote