Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Handedness and Extra Arms

If you have Extra Arms but not Ambidexterity, then how does handedness work? Do you only have one good hand? Are half of your arms strong and the other half weak? I can't remember any time this is addressed in the rules.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:25 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Handedness and Extra Arms

As per Kromm:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
You get one master hand and everything else is at -4 for the off hand.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:26 AM   #3
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
As per Kromm:
Does that mean that you have to by Ambidextrous for each off-hand (so, if you have four hands or other manipulators, you need to buy it three times)? That seems likely given the context.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:41 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Does that mean that you have to by Ambidextrous for each off-hand (so, if you have four hands or other manipulators, you need to buy it three times)? That seems likely given the context.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. I don't remember any official templates having multiple stacks of Ambidexterity, but you're welcome to do your own research to prove me wrong.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:44 AM   #5
doot

On this subject, does Ambidexterity matter for kick attacks? Or teeth? I would probably assume “no” for teeth, but the kicking has come up and we couldn’t find it.
doot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Kromm goes on to say, in the same post, that anything that reduces off hand penalties does so for all hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doot View Post
On this subject, does Ambidexterity matter for kick attacks? Or teeth? I would probably assume “no” for teeth, but the kicking has come up and we couldn’t find it.
Kicks and bites lack off hand penalties, so no. If you wish to introduce “off foot” penalties, I’d have Ambidexterity eliminate such.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
doot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Kromm goes on to say, in the same post, that anything that reduces off hand penalties does so for all hands.

Kicks and bites lack off hand penalties, so no. If you wish to introduce “off foot” penalties, I’d have Ambidexterity eliminate such.
Thanks, bro, that helps a lot
doot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
Plane

Quote:

So if 4-armed Goro/Kintaro or whatever goes from "1 on 3 off" to "4 on 0 off" how do you limit Ambidexterity to "all except one" or "all except two" to get "2 on 2 off" or "3 on 1 off?

A -4 for biting/kicking would be great, it's always seemed incredibly weird that somehow people are more coordinated this way than with the off hand.

The idea that you can bite someone in the arm for a mere DX-2... I think the only way I'd be able to do that with such accuracy is if I was grappling an arm and pulling it into my mouth, which would be covered in Technical Grappling terms by using Control Points to buy off penalties
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
So if 4-armed Goro/Kintaro or whatever goes from "1 on 3 off" to "4 on 0 off" how do you limit Ambidexterity to "all except one" or "all except two" to get "2 on 2 off" or "3 on 1 off?
Use something like Accessibility pricing, maybe?

Quote:
A -4 for biting/kicking would be great, it's always seemed incredibly weird that somehow people are more coordinated this way than with the off hand.
The off hand by default suffers no penalty in unarmed combat, the penalty only applies when using a weapon in the off hand (and I’d expect at least a -4 for trying to wield a weapon with your mouth). “Clumsy biter” could be a legitimate Quirk, however (or even the default state for humans, with a Perk to buy it off).
Old 08-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #10
Plane

Quote:
The off hand by default suffers no penalty in unarmed combat, the penalty only applies when using a weapon in the off hand
I don't want to open that can of worms, but being more coordinated at biting/kicking someone than hitting them with a club (even in the off hand) is also pretty weird.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote