Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2019, 01:27 AM   #1
Bandii

Default Uses for Metabolism Control

Greetings,

I am looking for ideas of what a player could do with the Metabolism Control ability besides hibernation.

Thanks,

Mike
Bandii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:51 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Uses for Metabolism Control

You can likely get very drunk on small quantities of alcohol and/or sober up very quickly, if the GM is willing to interpret the advantage that way.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:32 AM   #3
Refplace

Te HT bonus for flushing poisons is rather useful, especially with the Mastery modifier.
I also like the deep sleep with internal alarm clock.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:22 AM   #4
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Slowing down bodily processes, allowing for reduced need for food and oxygen. Good for being imprisoned in an airtight space. Instead of hibernating, you can spend the time one normally spends suffocating in building escape devices.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Anaraxes

The bonus would apply to the HT rolls for losing FP in heat and cold, and possibly other hazards like altitude.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandii View Post
Greetings,

I am looking for ideas of what a player could do with the Metabolism Control ability besides hibernation.
I'm waiting for one of the usual suspects to say that all it can do is give +1 to HT rolls and allow suspended animation and anything else is "fluff text".
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
jason taylor

You can have an internal sleep timer. Aside from that being highly convenient in normal life, it allows you to ration sleep to be most convenient to your occupation which allows you to, for instance, endure periods of continual combat as long as you can gorge yourself on sleep between.

If this is combined with the ability to "autopilot" the sensory organs it can mean there is no need to endure deprivation to go on watch duty.

If as another poster pointed out you can internally regulate drink, that is useful for a political or espionage type game which might involve a secret war at parties. For instance a bodyguard or assassin can conceal himself if he can drink naturally; a spy can draw out an opponents secrets or seduce them simply by outdrinking them. Other ideas can be contrived.

If nucleotides are included as metabolism you can control the sex of a child (just as well we can't as people would be prejudiced to make their child the dominant sex and then one would outnumber the other). You can also control what the priority of replacement in your own cells are so you can tell your body "Hurry up and heal that hand because I really need it to work."

Last edited by jason taylor; 07-18-2019 at 09:38 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandii View Post
Greetings,

Thanks,

Mike
Defeat stress detectors.
Win eating contests.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Slowing down bodily processes, allowing for reduced need for food and oxygen. Good for being imprisoned in an airtight space. Instead of hibernating, you can spend the time one normally spends suffocating in building escape devices.
By the text, it only lets you do this by going into torpor, which doesn't lend itself well toward doing... well, anything. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to letting a character basically work at half speed (as though they had Decreased Time Rate) and get 50% of the benefit of the trait. Of course, the effect there is roughly the same as if they spent 50% of their time working and 50% in torpor, the benefit to working at half speed is you can keep an eye out the whole time (the drawback is that you still have to sleep, which I assume the guy alternating between work and torpor manages to satisfy during torpor).
Old 07-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

It should give the benefit of specialized temperature tolerance by speeding up or slowing down general metabolism.
I used to be able to speed things up giving myself a fever, so that aspect isn't even supernatural.

Tags
metabolism control