Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
rsqrdroberts

Default [RPM, MH5] Technomagic: Complexity and Limits on Scripts

I've searched the forum for a previous discussion, to no avail, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

Monster Hunters 5: Applied Xenology is almost exactly what I need to port The Laundry to GURPS. There are two things I wish it captured.

The first, energy costs by summoned demon level, was addressed by Ghostdancer in GURPS101: Spell Kits For Casters - The Necromancer. (Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ghostdancer.)

The second is my feeling that Cubicle 7 got it right that more powerful hardware is needed to cast higher level spells.

A lot of this can be done with MH5 by using the Notes from the Computer Table, MH5:20, along with TCSs needing to run on minimum Complexity machines, MH5:21. A C3 smartphone is -2 to RPM and can only run a Basic TCS for +0 to skill, whereas a C5 laptop is +0 to RPM, and can run a Good TCS for +1, for a net +3 to RPM skill.

I can also give Laundry agents digital grimoires that are bonuses to rituals, which are dependent on the complexity of the device. I.e. only certain rituals are available on the C3 grimoire, but more rituals for C4 grimoires, etc. (Or I can change the bonuses, depending on the Complexity of the Grimoire.) (Or both.) I haven't decided the bonuses for these Grimoires yet.

This is I want to discuss:

I'd also like to limit the number of scripts on a device to be determined by the energy of the rituals, and not just the number (2xComplexity, if magically resonant, MH5:17).

This is similar to a previous thread about Conditional Rituals here...[RPM] Conditional Rituals (Too Powerful?)

Are the Grimoire/TCS bonuses/Computer Table Notes enough of a limitation for small devices?

Should I add some energy based limitation to the number of scripts storable on a device?

Is there some other mechanism that I am missing, or not understanding correctly?

advTHANKSance,
R^2
Old 02-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM, MH5] Technomagic: Complexity and Limits on Scripts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsqrdroberts View Post
I'd also like to limit the number of scripts on a device to be determined by the energy of the rituals, and not just the number (2xComplexity, if magically resonant, MH5:17).
Maybe use Effect Shaping RPM from Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic as a guideline. So maybe something like this:

Required ComplexityBase Energy (not including Greater Effects Multiplier)
Complexity 1 Energy 1 - 10
Complexity 2 Energy 11 - 20
Complexity 3 Energy 21 - 30
Complexity 4 Energy 31 - 40
Complexity 5 Energy 41 - 50
Complexity 6 Energy 51 - 60
Etc. Etc.

Quote:
This is similar to a previous thread about Conditional Rituals here...[RPM] Conditional Rituals (Too Powerful?)
I pretty much stick by my comments there. :-)

Quote:
Are the Grimoire/TCS bonuses/Computer Table Notes enough of a limitation for small devices?
Maybe, but as the TL increases, probably not.

Quote:
Should I add some energy based limitation to the number of scripts storable on a device?
Can you explain this a bit more please?

Quote:
Is there some other mechanism that I am missing, or not understanding correctly?
Check out the box "Ugh, Hardcopy!" on p. 5 of Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
rsqrdroberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Check out the box "Ugh, Hardcopy!" on p. 5 of Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic.
Bingo! This is exactly what I was looking for. How did I overlook it? (Where is the embarrassed emoji?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsqrdroberts

Can you explain this a bit more please?
I was just re-asking the previous request/question, I'd also like to limit the number of scripts on a device to be determined by the energy of the rituals.
I think you answered that above when you suggested the Effect Shaping RPM Required ComplexityBase Energy values.

BTW, I'm not sure I'm seeing what part of Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic your basing the Required ComplexityBase Energy concept on. (I've just reread Effect Shaping pp.6-8.) Was it the Casting a Spell section, where we divide the energy by 10 to determine a skill penalty?
Old 02-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Bingo! This is exactly what I was looking for. How did I overlook it? (Where is the embarrassed emoji?)
Heh. It's cool. Just glad that's what you were looking for.

Quote:
I was just re-asking the previous request/question, I'd also like to limit the number of scripts on a device to be determined by the energy of the rituals.
I think you answered that above when you suggested the Effect Shaping RPM Required ComplexityBase Energy values.

BTW, I'm not sure I'm seeing what part of Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic your basing the Required ComplexityBase Energy concept on. (I've just reread Effect Shaping pp.6-8.) Was it the Casting a Spell section, where we divide the energy by 10 to determine a skill penalty?
Yup, that's it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters, ritual path magic, rpm, technomagic