Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2015, 05:32 AM   #1
Humabout

Default [RPM] Altered Resistance

Is there a RAW way to give a particular group (or everyone!) a bonus to resisting a specific ritual? It seems that an easier-to-resist ritual should require less energy, but I'm not sure how to implement this.

I'm thinking of something like a ritual that causes a target to become infatuated with you; targets resist normally if they are attracted to your gender, or at +4 if not.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Altered Resistance

This deviates some from RAW, but applying certain Limitations to rituals can be appropriate for lowering their cost. In this case, Resistible gets a further -5% for every +1 to HT, so it follows that you could apply this -5% per +1. To make it specific to a gender, I'd handle it as +4 to HT -20%; -4 to HT for opposite gender +16% (-4 HT is +20%; opposite gender only is -20%, so apply Limiting Enhancements). Total is -4%.

Note this should only be allowed on offensive rituals, not for buffs or the like. Giving the target +10 to resist is arguably worth -50%, but not if it's a ritual nobody's going to try to resist anyway.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
This deviates some from RAW, but applying certain Limitations to rituals can be appropriate for lowering their cost. In this case, Resistible gets a further -5% for every +1 to HT, so it follows that you could apply this -5% per +1. To make it specific to a gender, I'd handle it as +4 to HT -20%; -4 to HT for opposite gender +16% (-4 HT is +20%; opposite gender only is -20%, so apply Limiting Enhancements). Total is -4%.
This is the sort of thing I was leaning toward, but I figured there was a RAW way of handling it already. I wonder if there's just a PK post or something regarding it. I'm going to try my hand at some google-fu to confirm this build.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Is there a RAW way to give a particular group (or everyone!) a bonus to resisting a specific ritual? It seems that an easier-to-resist ritual should require less energy, but I'm not sure how to implement this.

I'm thinking of something like a ritual that causes a target to become infatuated with you; targets resist normally if they are attracted to your gender, or at +4 if not.
The only RAW way that would save energy would be if the GM said, "A love spell would be a Greater Control Mind effect -- unless you want to tone it down so that it's just a significant reaction bonus and targets not attracted to your sex get a bonus to resist, in which case I'll call it Lesser Control Mind."

There are intentionally no rules for applying limitations to bring down energy cost because it is very very very easy to abuse such things -- even unintentionally. I urge extreme caution before house-ruling this; at a minimum, consider cutting the limitation value in half and not allowing it to stack with Traditional Trappings. (Though please don't construe these suggestions as an endorsement.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm