Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2019, 03:00 AM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: What is implied about the setting by GURPS Magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghotfish View Post
If you don't think it will work, that's fine, but that wasn't really my original question.
Oh, I think it could work.
I recommend making some cheat sheets with the modifiers, especially materials, dates and locations. Youll want to minimize page flipping and lookups during the game.

Also now that we know more about the campaign. The players should be tracking purchases of materials.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:47 AM   #12
Ghotfish

Oh yeah, cheat sheets already made.

To be honest, the cheat sheet type stuff I did a long time ago when this was just a thought experiment, I just found them looking through old files and decided to give it a go (I've watched Supernatural, X-Files, and the new Men In Black in the last month, so am feeling like modern, hidden weirdness.)

Definitely tracking materials.
Ghotfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

If you're using the full spell list, Time travel is a thing. On the subject of the gate college, the beacon spells are extremely useful for reducing range penalties. You also have the potential for permanent gates to be lying around the setting.

Demons are the only worked example, but a generalized "Summon Planar Ally" spell exists, as does the ability to travel to where-ever the planar ally comes from. So at the very least you've got where ever demons come from. I think the exact planes are left open for the GM, so you've sort of got a weird situation there.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #14
Black Leviathan

The rules imply that there are mana levels, they don't quantify what mana is or what else it's level could indicate but it is a variable energy that concentrates areas reflective of it's nature and that that energy can accumulate in some plants or minerals that can be distilled Alchemically.

Information and Gates spells imply that time is malleable and events in history can be changed affecting causal relationships normally. Information spells also imply the existence of an aura that can be perceived that affects specific objects handled by a person of interest.

Gate Spells Imply that there are other universes or planes that are similar to ours that can be visited.

Necromancic spells imply that there is an afterlife and that there is a "hell" and a mirror real that could be thought of as a "Heaven" but doesn't detail what that means dogmatically.

Mind Spells imply that dreams occupy a sort of plane of existence that others are capable of occupying.

Communicaiton and Empathy spells imply that the human (Or non human) mind is not unlike a hard drive where skills or languages can be copied to if only temporarilly.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #15
Whitewings

Spell casting is vastly more common than enchanting. Anything beyond the most basic wizard's tools takes months or years of work.
Whitewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #16
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewings View Post
Spell casting is vastly more common than enchanting. Anything beyond the most basic wizard's tools takes months or years of work.
Quick and Dirty is a lot more flexible than you might assume if you have some helpers or are willing to dabble in Black Magic.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #17
Whitewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Quick and Dirty is a lot more flexible than you might assume if you have some helpers or are willing to dabble in Black Magic.
In a low mana setting, assistants aren't all that helpful. You'll need to really go nuts with astrological modifiers to get an effective skill high enough for a decent-sized circle (effective sklll 25 for a circle of six in low mana).
Old 07-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:
In a low mana setting, assistants aren't all that helpful. You'll need to really go nuts with astrological modifiers to get an effective skill high enough for a decent-sized circle (effective sklll 25 for a circle of six in low mana).
20 for Low Mana. 25 is for Very Low Mana.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #19
Plane

Quote:
If you expend double the energy you can get a +5 bonus to offset the -5.

One trick, besides having a powerstone, is I think if you use "Energy Orbs" (magical styles) they would work like an Energy Reserve in being usable towards a single spell, although that comes with a -3 penalty so it might not be worth it.

Of course: if your HELPERS take a penalty, this doesn't affect the main caster's skill so long as they don't dip below 15 as a result.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #20
Whitewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
20 for Low Mana. 25 is for Very Low Mana.
25. -5 for Low Mana, -5 for the assistants, and the lead enchanter has to have at least 15 after correcting for that.