Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2015, 01:44 AM   #1
Strabo

Default RPM and range penalties; Sorcery enchanting and different materials

I really like both of the magic systems, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Does an RPM caster receive range penalties on the Quick Contest to resist the ritual?

2. GURPS Thaumatology - Sorcery lists several EP multipliers for different types of items. What would be a good multiplier for, for example, a lantern? Since it's metal and is carried in a hand, I assumed that the multiplies of "Weapon, Metal" is fitting. And what about weapons/armor/items made not out of wood or metal? For example, an orichalcum weapon would have different DR and HP than listen in "Weapon, Metal". Should I consult the gadget limitations to get a fitting multiplier for such cases?
Strabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: RPM and range penalties; Sorcery enchanting and different materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strabo View Post
I really like both of the magic systems, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Does an RPM caster receive range penalties on the Quick Contest to resist the ritual?
No, he already paid for the distance in energy.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #3
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strabo View Post
2. GURPS Thaumatology - Sorcery lists several EP multipliers for different types of items. What would be a good multiplier for, for example, a lantern? Since it's metal and is carried in a hand, I assumed that the multiplies of "Weapon, Metal" is fitting. And what about weapons/armor/items made not out of wood or metal? For example, an orichalcum weapon would have different DR and HP than listen in "Weapon, Metal". Should I consult the gadget limitations to get a fitting multiplier for such cases?
For non-standard items, your best bet is to use gadget limitations to come up with a fair multiple. For example, a typical metal lantern has DR 2 (-20%), is SM -5 (-10%), and can be stolen with a Contest of DX (-30%), for a net -60%, which becomes a multiplier of x0.40 (you simply subtract the limitation percentage from x1.00).

If your orichalcum weapon is completely unbreakable (which is the assumption that Dungeon Fantasy makes, for example), then you can't include the Breakable limitation at all, so DR and SM don't matter. You'd just look at Can Be Stolen (and disarming effectively equates to a Contest of DX or ST, -30%) for a multiplier of x0.70.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:56 AM   #4
Strabo

Okay, thanks for the clarification.
Strabo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enchanting, ritual path magic, sorcery