Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
DAT

Default Summary of the Autoduel Setting

As part of a Con game I’m planning to run, I need an introductory blurb to describe the Autoduel setting. Below is my first attempt. Any thoughts on additions, subtractions, or other suggestions (especially the last paragraph)?
Name: Mission of Mercy (GURPS Autoduel)
Rule Set: GURPS 4th edition
Description:
There is a load of medicine that needs to be delivered to a town across the desert in the next 12 hours. The PCs are motorcycle scouts, cross country couriers, truckers, and auto duelists available to make that delivery. There are only 400 miles of bandits, biker gangs, and crazies in their way.

The Autoduel setting is a post-apocalyptic world, with pockets of civilization, in the form of Fortress Towns, surrounded by lawless areas, filled with bandits and cycle gangs. Air travel is expensive and infrequent, so the vehicles that transport people and goods between towns are armed and armored against bandits and gangs. As a result, Autodueling, a sort of demolish derby with armed and armored vehicles, has become a popular sport. The Fortress Towns can produce high tech weapons (e.g., up to experimental vehicle mounted lasers) and ground vehicles (e.g., electric cars capable of traveling 100 mph for 300+ miles) and medical technology is very advanced (e.g., cloning and brain taping), but costly.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
Curmudgeon

Default Re: Summary of the Autoduel Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
As part of a Con game I’m planning to run, I need an introductory blurb to describe the Autoduel setting. Below is my first attempt. Any thoughts on additions, subtractions, or other suggestions (especially the last paragraph)?
Name: Mission of Mercy (GURPS Autoduel)
Rule Set: GURPS 4th edition
Description:
There is a load of medicine that needs to be delivered to a town across the desert in the next 12 hours. The PCs are motorcycle scouts, cross country couriers, truckers, and auto duelists available to make that delivery. There are only 400 miles of bandits, biker gangs, and crazies in their way.

The Autoduel setting is a post-apocalyptic world, with pockets of civilization, in the form of Fortress Towns, surrounded by lawless areas, filled with bandits and cycle gangs. Air travel is expensive and infrequent, so the vehicles that transport people and goods between towns are armed and armored against bandits and gangs. As a result, Autodueling, a sort of demolish derby with armed and armored vehicles, has become a popular sport. The Fortress Towns can produce high tech weapons (e.g., up to experimental vehicle mounted lasers) and ground vehicles (e.g., electric cars capable of traveling 100 mph for 300+ miles) and medical technology is very advanced (e.g., cloning and brain taping), but costly.
Autoduelling began when a demolition derby driver mounted a machine gun on his car and used it. Since then the sport's only rival for popularity is combat football. Medical technology has advanced beyond simple cloning. You can be brought back from the dead, if you can afford it. When the world ran short of gasoline and ethanol, electric vehicles became the long distance transport of choice. The electric vehicles were easy prey for bikers and bandits. Civilization holed up in Fortress Towns too tough for the bikers to take, but the lands between the Fortress Towns are a dystopian world where the only right is might.

Now the electric vehicles venture between the Fortress Towns in mighty convoys. From the scout's motorcycle to the trucker's big rig, every vehicle is armed to the teeth with the best autoduelling weapons they can afford.

They will take back the night and one of them is you!
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
LokRobster

I think the description and summary work well. Curmudgeon's addition is good, too.

I'd love to hear how it turns out, particularly the actual autoduelling combat aspect of it translated to 4e. I've dabbled with the idea of stating up some duelcars in 4e Vehicle terms but have yet to give it a shot, much less run a battle with Basic Set Vehicle rules.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Autoduelling began when a demolition derby driver mounted a machine gun on his car and used it. Since then the sport's only rival for popularity is combat football. Medical technology has advanced beyond simple cloning. You can be brought back from the dead, if you can afford it. When the world ran short of gasoline and ethanol, electric vehicles became the long distance transport of choice. The electric vehicles were easy prey for bikers and bandits. Civilization holed up in Fortress Towns too tough for the bikers to take, but the lands between the Fortress Towns are a dystopian world where the only right is might.

Now the electric vehicles venture between the Fortress Towns in mighty convoys. From the scout's motorcycle to the trucker's big rig, every vehicle is armed to the teeth with the best autoduelling weapons they can afford.

They will take back the night and one of them is you!
So as an addition or a replacement?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
I think the description and summary work well. Curmudgeon's addition is good, too.
Thanks.

Quote:
I'd love to hear how it turns out, particularly the actual autoduelling combat aspect of it translated to 4e.
I'll see what I can do. The Con is next February/March, but I need to put in my descriptions in by the end of next month.

Quote:
I've dabbled with the idea of stating up some duelcars in 4e Vehicle terms but have yet to give it a shot, much less run a battle with Basic Set Vehicle rules.
Yes, this is the topic of another post ...
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
So as an addition or a replacement?
I was thinking more as a replacement, but if you want to scratch out the repeated information and use it as an addition, that's fine, too.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I was thinking more as a replacement, but if you want to scratch out the repeated information and use it as an addition, that's fine, too.
You bring up a couple good items.

But I am struggling on how to keep it short, not miss lead, and give it a interesting hook.

For the signup flyer, I almost wanted to describe the setting as:
"The Autoduel setting is a post-apocalyptic world, with pockets of civilization, in the form of Fortress Towns, surrounded by lawless areas, filled with bandits and cycle gangs. Think Mad Max/Road Warrior, but higher tech, and add professional auto duelist (a demolition derby with armed and armored cars)."

And then give a longer explanation in the character handouts.

-Dan