Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
ajardoor

Default [DF Project] Super-adventure: The Mists of Dread

WARNING: FOR GMS ONLY!

"The world is a vampire, set to drain
Secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames
And what do I get, for my pain?
Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game"
-- Smashing Pumpkins, "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"

"Hello there, delver. I want to play a little game."
-- The Trapmaster

Okay, ITT; GMs of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy come around and we work on the creation of a complete super-adventure, named The Mists of Dread. Proper introduction in the post below.

Consider this entire thread a collective work in progress, if we think this project is finished, tabletop roleplaying being what it is.

First up, an index, to show everyone what's what and what the authors still need to type up. Expect this to heavily edited in the future to include new content, if all goes well.

1.1.1 The Super-Adventure and You
1.1.2 How to Sandbox
1.2 Inspirations and Themes
1.3.1 Got Suggestions? Content?
1.3.2 You Done Goofed!
1.3.3 Forthcoming Answerable Queries
1.3.4 Links and Other Resources
1.3.5 Credits and Thank Yous

2. The Setting of Mistvale

2.1.1 The Decadent City-State
2.1.2 The Distrincts
2.1.3 Yes, Only One City
2.2.1 The Mysterious Past
2.2.2 Clues to the Past
2.3.1 The Dark World Incursions
2.3.2 What's Going On?
2.4.1 The Party Enters the Picture...
2.4.2 What If I Want to Change Things?
2.4.3 Recommended Character Creation Options

3. The Factions, In-Depth

3.1 The Temple of Fortuna
3.2 The Temple of Boadicea
3.3 The Temple of Devis
3.4 The Temple of Al-Tolf
3.5.1 The Merchants' Guild
3.5.2 The Vampire Cult
3.6.1 The Thieves' Guild
3.6.2 The Ten Knives Bandit Syndicate
3.6.1 The Assassins' Guild
3.6.2.1 The Shadow Elf Council
3.6.2.2 Left Hand Versus Right Hand
3.6.3 Dirty Deeds Done at Reasonable Prices
3.7.1 The Town Watch
3.7.2 I Fought the Law...
3.8 The Wizards' Guild & Academy
3.9.1 The Grey Sheilds Road Wardens
3.9.2 The Under The Table Relay
3.10.1 The Noble Families
3.10.2 Skeletons in the Closet
3.10.3 Shakespeare's Plot Hooks

4. Notable NPCs

4.1 Watch Chief Dank Vinald
4.2 Magisteress Carrietta Whitler
4.3 Cannoness Prudence Da Nang
4.4 High Priestess Penelope Baccomb
4.5 High Priest Iago Jackalknife
4.6 Grand Druid Orel Prescott
4.7 Mistvale Overlord Carmine Aesop
4.8 Nyx, Exarch of Aradia

5. Recruitable NPCs

5.1 Rock Lobster
5.2 Ivy Xero
5.3 Uther Sarx
5.4 Fabula Legate
5.5 Father Quentin Wash
5.6 Mildred Bezoar
5.7 Quartz Chain
5.8 Jacob Von Infernosong and Charles Balmonto
5.9 Crazy Horse
5.10 Ernest Tinwheel
5.11 Edith Sulfur
5.12 Someone Else?

6. Monsters and (Potentially?) Hostile NPCs

6.1 Mist Shades
6.1.1 Lesser Humanoid
6.1.2 Heavy Humanoid
6.1.3 Lashed Barb Hunter
6.1.4 Bladespider
6.1.5 Scrapboar
6.1.6 Bolterhulk
6.2 Giant Rat
6.3 Wolf
6.4 Demons
6.4.1 Hellhound
6.4.2 Spellhurling Shrapnel Devil
6.4.3 Archer Centaur Demon
6.4.4 Frog Demon
6.5 Troll Witch
6.6 Ripper Wight
6.7 Security Armour Swordsman Golem
6.8 Divine Servitors
6.8.1 Servitor of Fortuna
6.8.2 Servitor of Devis
6.9 Vampire Cultist
6.10 Human Cultist
6.11 Town Watchman
6.12 Ten Knives Bandit
6.13 Corrupt Grey Sheild
6.13 Assassins
6.13.1 Human Throat Slitter
6.13.2 Gnome Sabotuer
6.13.3 Green Elf Bow Sniper
6.13.4 Halfling Shootist
6.13.5 Human Ninja
6.14 Minibosses/Bosses
6.14.1 Vampire Queen Eliza Carthia
6.14.2 Yas Weer, Shadow Elf Greater Wizard
6.14.3 Clas Darque, Shadow Elf Ninja Master
6.14.4 Uju Nikop, Shadow Elf Greater Cleric of Aradia
6.14.5 Victoria Banestown of the Grey Sheilds
6.14.6 Oscar Worthers of the Grey Sheilds
6.14.7 Mavis Orgham of the Grey Sheilds
6.14.8 "Royale" Richard Cowlwater of the Grey Sheilds
6.14.9 Bandit King Oz Bruckner of the Ten Knives
6.14.10 Cecil Axehandle of the Ten Knives
6.14.11 Giles Dangner of the Ten Knives
6.14.12 Jacques Whiteler of the Ten Knives

7. Campaigning in Mistvale

7.1.1 Opening Adventure: Getting There
7.1.2 Quest: The Chalice of The Third Heaven
7.1.3 Quest: True Crime
7.1.4 Quest: The Spice Must Flow
7.1.5 Quest: C.S.I. Mistvale
7.1.6 Quest: When There's No More Room in Hell...
7.1.7 Quest: Seige Mentality
7.1.8 Quest: Cleansing
7.1.9 Quest: Incursions of the Mist
7.1.10 Quest: Look Upon My Works, Ye Mighty...
7.1.11 Quest: Misappropriation
7.1.12 Quest: The 'Ass' in 'Assassin'
7.1.13 Quest: Larceny For Dummies
7.1.14 Quest: Road Maintainence

7.2.1 Side Event: The Confessional
7.2.2 Side Event: The High Sabbat
7.2.3 Side Event: Talking With Nyx
7.2.4 Side Event: Talking With the Druids

7.3 Rumor Table/s

7.4 Random Encounters Table/s

7.5.1 Treasure Packages
7.5.2 Fancy Carpet Roll
7.5.3 Diamond Gem
7.5.4 The 7th Principle Codex
7.5.5 Gold Nugget
7.5.6 Bag of 40 Coppers and One of Them is Cursed

Last edited by ajardoor; 03-22-2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: fixed stuff
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
ajardoor

Default Re: [DF Project] Super-adventure: The Mists of Dread

1.1 Introduction

"Now this is the story, all about how,
my life got turned right upside down"
-- First lines of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme

"In the beginning, there was nothing. Then, there was night. With night, came pleasure."
-- Nyx, Exarch of Aradia

1.1.1 The Super-Adventure and You
So what is a super-adventure? Well, put simply it's a combination of adventure module and a 'miniature' setting - typically a series of adventures and/or a single major location that serves as a backdrop to a campaign.

The Mists of Dread is a super-adventure I wish to fully flesh out and then freely distribute it to any GURPS Dungeon Fantasy GM who wishes to use it, on this board or anywhere else. Eventually, the final draft of the project will be served up as a single PDF, time and resources permitting.

And I want to see if you guys have anything to offer this effort.

1.1.2 How to Sandbox

The primary 'mode' of campaign for The Mists of Dread is a sandbox - that is, the super-adventure will not serve as a linear series of pre-set adventures, but a fully fleshed-out setting full of plot hooks and background events that the party will interact with at their decision and luck.

It should be noted that the sandbox campaign may not be for your players, and it will require a certain style of GMing.
Also note that I have made several sort-of 'house rules' and 'house interreptions of the rules' in the process of writing this super-adventure. No doubt others will too.

Check out your usual gaming site articles and the enlightened commentary in the thread to learn more about running a sandbox campaign!

1.2 Inspirations and Themes

So what kind of atmosphere and stories should a campaign in The Mists of Dread be like?

Well, first off, here's the inital inspirations for this campaign idea and some of its subplots and elements;
+ Deadly Premonition (video game - dark world, one type of enemy, the town's past and murder mystery)
+ Ravenloft (Dungeons and Dragons setting - dark secrets and the mist motif)
+ Twin Peaks (video game - surreal elements and parts of the city)
+ STALKER (video game - general motif of ruins and backwoods with supernatural stuff)
+ Amnesia: The Dark Descent (video game - ruins of an old castle)
+ Darklands (video game - free and open exploration with dark fantasy motifs)
+ Alone in the Dark (video game series - dark world and dark secrets)
+ Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (tabletop RPG - political stuff, dark secrets and some enemies)
+ Saw (movie series - one major antagonist)

And what about the themes?
+ Hidden agendas
+ Political struggles
+ Dirty money
+ The mysteries and ruins of the past
+ The sudden evil horror intruding into the everyday

1.3.1 Got Suggestions? Content?

Post in the thread!
PM me!
My contact info is below!

1.3.2 You Done Goofed!

If I have made a mistake (AND I HAVE), tell me via thread post, PM, e-mail or whatever. Be meticulous! Explain why it is wrong, if it's not obvious! Provide an example of the fixed error if you can! Be polite!

1.3.3 Forthcoming Answerable Queries

This section left blank for now.

1.3.4 Links and Other Resources

Contact me at p_dragon500@hotmail.com
GURPS Character Sheet: http://gurpscharactersheet.com/wiki/
GURPS Monster Repository: http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/monsters

1.3.5 Credits and Thank Yous

YOU for reading this thread!
Marko Zadro/Harry O'Gane for stating up NPCs!

Last edited by ajardoor; 07-08-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
ajardoor

2. The Setting of Mistvale

"When the darkness fell, New York City became something else, any old Sinatra song notwithstanding. Bad things happened in the night, on the streets of that other city. Noir York City."
-- Max Payne

"This is MY city!"
-- Assertion made at least once each by Carmine Aesop, Eliza Carthia, Dank Vinald, several dozern unlicensed street merchants (32% of whom are now deceased), hundreds of bandits (58.96% of whom are now deceased), Oz Bruckner, Prudence Da Nang, Iago Jackalknife and eighteen town watchmen.

And now, an outline of Mistvale and starting the campaign.

2.1.1 The Decadent City-State

Mistvale is a combination of mining town, major trading outpost, backwoods town and high magic city-state with lots of nearby dungeoneering spots (caves, ruins, abandoned shrines, trade roads, urban sprawl, noble families to rob, etc.).

Modern Mistvale is surrounded by plentiful natural resources and has access to all different types of magic. The wizards guild has set up one of it's best academies in Mistvale, and the various temples are all fairly well-decorated (think Vatican City on a much smaller scale). The Merchants Guild gets a lot of profit out of the mines, not to mention the salvage of Mistvale-That-Was. Many noble families and middle class burghers live in well defended manors. A company of mercenaries named The Grey Shields patrol the trade roads as wardens and tax collectors. The guilds of thieves and assassins have quietly staked out a position in the poorer areas, despite still struggling with internal politics quite dramatically. The backwoods are slowly being tended to by a new influx of Druids and faerie folk, after decades of being left to rot in the aftermath of whatever disaster claimed Mistvale-That-Was, although some of their number speak fearfully that some dark presence or two has entrenched itself within the forests and abandoned pagan shrines.

2.1.2 The Distrincts

The Centre of Town is, naturally, where the party will find the city hall and the various headquarters of major organisations like the Town Watch, the Merchants' Guild and the Wizards' Guild (but not the Academy), in addition to The Temple of Boadicea. There is, of course, the richest, most cosmopolitian marketplace in the city surrounding the Merchants' Guild HQ, which the party should visit if they want expensive items, special orders, magic items, to shop amongst the richer middle class and to meet the more successful merchants in the city. Enjoy the trappings of wealth, government and enchanted technology here.

The West Hills are hard to miss. That's where the noble families mansions are, although they more resemble fortresses these days. No mana areas are common here, as are patrols by the town watch. Paranoia and influence make for a nerve-wracking stroll for commoners -- expect to get searched at least once unless you've made buddy-buddy with one of the noble families or the watchmen (a Claim to Hospitality or the Honest Face perk might save you a few hassles). No-one's quite sure how The Temple of Fortuna got the choice spot for their church here -- probably just another one of their characteristic strokes of good luck...

The East Hills are just miserable. While it is proudly home to one of Mistvale's major trade roads, the whole district is going down fast. This is partly due to the growing infestation of evil spirits, and partly due to the growing crime in the area. The most reliable go-between for the Assassins' Guild is here, far from the eyes of the Watch. Random encounters here might just mean muggings, assassination attempts and catching sight of some clandestine deal or meet-up going down. Plenty of inns and taverns can be found in this large district, the cheapest and least safe in the city, in fact! Naturally, the Grey Shields HQ can be found here, full of well-guarded evidence of their bribe-taking.

The district of North East Hill is pretty much barren ruins of Mistvale-That-Was, almost completely taken over by the rotten backwoods and few people live or visit here - so no random encounters during the day. Hence why the Assassins' Guild HQ is hidden deep in the most north eastern part. Also? Low mana and low sanctity across the board.

South Hills ain't much but the Wizards' Academy, as far as civilised folk care. They're missing out, though, as the healthiest backwoods in the countryside (lowest penalty for Druidic abilities) are here, patrolled by the local nature priests themselves. There are also a few deep cave complexes out on the fringes, with no penalty to Druidic abilities within their walls.

The first the party will see of Mistvale is the district of North Hills, if the opening adventure is used as is. The cut stone tunnels that link the district to the rest of the city will cause a -3 penalty to Druidic abilities. If the party needs healing, buffs or boring and judgemental sermons, they can try the Temple of Al-Tolf near the centre of the district.

South East Hills is an even worse hive of the obvious Star Wars quote than East Hills. It's closest to the mine, thus the place where the poor have to live. The Temple of Devis tries to help the underdogs here any way they can, but their efforts are undercut by the inevitable wave of violence induced by the Thieves' Guild who make their HQ here. If the party manages to show enough resourcefulness to discover the location of the Ten Knives Bandit Hideout, it's on the very outskirts of this district, where the backwoods meets the dirt road. Good luck. And be prepared for gruelling random encounters.

2.1.3 Yes, Only One City

Sorry to say, but the entire focus of this super-adventure shall take place in Mistvale's (admittedly expansive) city limits and surrounding countryside. It is assumed that the party, once they have arrived in Mistvale, don't leave the city until the super-adventure/campaign is over. The GM, should he approve of this, should tell the players this OOC.

Sorry to give railroading a nod, but the momentum of the campaign might fall apart if the party simply packs up and leaves for another city, where the atmosphere and background are completely different from Mistvale's.

Of course, that's IF the GM is following this super-adventure within its parameters...

2.2.1 The Mysterious Past

The town hints vaguely that it used to be even more, perhaps a greater city than the capital itself. But those days are behind it, for some kinda disaster wiped out a good section of the town about five generations ago (judging by the ruins) and the city is just now starting to re-establish itself as a juggernaut of civilization, with the modern city being made up of the section of the original city that wasn't destroyed and the parts of the ruins that were repaired and remade fit for inhabitation. Luckily, the many caravans of adventurers and tradesmen helped with this process by bolstering the local economy like nobodies business (adventurers find a lot of new wealth in it's ruins and mysterious backwoods).

None, however, openly and broadly speak of some vague sense of disquiet they feel, however widespread it is. Perhaps the constant mists (sometimes heavy, sometimes light - which gave Mistvale it's namesake) that infest the region are to blame. How silly, to be unnerved by simple fog...

2.2.2 Clues to the Past

Want to find out something about Mistvale-That-Was? Check the ruins. The city's offical records are too busy with present troubles to worry about past ones.

Perhaps a diary or magical recording survived the disaster? Not that it'll have all the answers, but maybe just a point in the right direction?

2.3.1 The Dark World Incursions

In the first adventure, the party will encounter the main supernatural horror of The Mists of Dread; the incursions by the Dark World into the local reality.
If you've played Silent Hill, you may understand what that implies.
If not; the Dark World shall make its violation of reality known by a sudden warping of the local surroundings into strangely solid reflections of Mistvale-That-Was back before the disaster, only flooded with ominiously thick mist.
Also? Monsters. Specifically, the Mist Shades, hideous constructs born from necrotic and demonic energies and molded by the loss of Mistvale-That-Was stalk the Dark World, ready to prey on the living. They are not zombies, although they can certainly act like them and do share some weaknesses with them. They are not fully demons, although again, they do have some of their weaknesses.
The Dark World is sinister, chaotic and full of bizarre hallucinations.

2.3.2 What's Going On?

The disaster of Mistvale-That-Was and the incursions are linked somehow.
Somebody did this, somehow.
The rest, however, is up to the GM to decide. Whatever the answer is, there is no canonical explanation to be found within this write-up.
Some suggestions, if you find yourself lacking the creative spark; it's a result of The Trapmaster preforming some sort of arcane ritual through the methods of serial murder for some reason, a magical experiment gone horribly wrong, the infernal work of some grand demonic patron of a noble family, some forgotten god becoming tainted with undead demons...

CONTINUED NEXT POST...

Last edited by ajardoor; 07-08-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
ajardoor

2.4.1 The Party Enters the Picture...

At the start of the campaign, the party finds themselves heading toward Mistvale, in search of fortune or some personal goal...

2.4.2 What If I Want to Change Things?

Don't like the setting/factions/subplots given here?
Go ahead, swap 'em out with an original creation.
Telling me about your proposed vision would let me offer some advice on how to do it, if you like.

2.4.3 Recommended Character Creation Options

Here's how I would run a Mists of Dread game;

You play a 300-point character. Stick to the Dungeon Delvers' Cheat Sheet in DF 1 for character creation guidelines, with the exception of this game's personal rules below. Ask me if you have any questions about creating your character, naturally.
If you're using "racial" templates as per DF 3, you don't need to use the DF 1 "class" templates as strictly and give preference to the "racial" templates where there is overlap and any "racial" disadvantages that are options in "class" templates are considered automatically taken (i.e. the Halfling and Thief templates both have Kleptomania). This overlap includes attribute levels to a degree; higher "racial" attributes do not stack with "class" attribute levels while lower "racial" attribute levels must be bought off or left lower than the original "class" template (i.e. a Halfling Thief going strictly by the templates would either have a ST of 8 for -20 points, or a ST of 11 for 40 points, but has DX 15 for 100 points all the same). Also note that "racial" attribute levels have minimiums and maximums modified similarly (i.e. a Halfling has a racial ST maximum of 17 and a racial DX maximum of 21).

Keep disadvantage points at about -50 plus up to 5 quirks, although "racial" templates may require you to take more. Hence why overlapping to save points applies to both positive and negative point costs.

What your native Cultural Familarity and Language are depends on your character's racial template. Some races can choose between several CFs or Languages. Naturally, you can buy any other Language or CF with points at character creation or in play. It is highly recommended your character start knowing the Common Language and maybe the Human CF, as that will the dominant Language and CF in this game.

The Human CF is available as native to Humans, Cat-Folk, Dark-Ones, Corpse Eaters, Halflings, Half-Spirits, Gnomes, Minotaurs and any Half-Breeds.
The Elven CF is available as native to all Elves and Half Elves.
The Dwarven CF is available as native to Dwarves.
The Faerie CF is available as native to Fauns, Leprechauns, Nymphs and Pixies.
The Goblin-Kin CF is available as native to Goblins, Hobgoblins, Orcs and Half-Orcs.
The Reptilian CF is available as native to Dragon-Blooded and Reptile Men.
The Wildmen CF is available as native to Wildmen.
The Coleopteran CF is available as native to Coleopterans.
The Savage CF is available as native to Minotaurs, Orges, Half-Orges, Gargoyles, Trolls, Reptile Men, Wildmen and all Goblin-Kin.

The Common Language is available as native to all races.
The Coleopteran Language is available as native to Coleopterans.
The Elvish Language is available as native to all Elves and Faerie-Folk.
The Dwarven Language is available as native to Dwarves.
The Orcish Language is available as native to all Goblin-Kin.
The Infernal Language is available as native to Infernals.
The Celestial Language is available as native to Celestials.
The Giant Language is available as native to any character who has the Savage CF as his/her native CF.
The Reptilian Language is available as native to Reptile Men.
The Draconian Language is available as native to Dragon-Blooded.
--------------

And now, I must go to bed.

Last edited by ajardoor; 04-02-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: bolding
Old 04-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
ajardoor

Hi, next update, sorry it took so long, it was so long!
----------------------------

And I'm back!
-------------

3. The Factions, In-Depth

Factions are a big part of The Mists of Dread, as you've probably figured out already. Much of the party's interactions should involve some aspect of the Mistvale factions, as well as the various alliances and rivalaries between them.

A recommended house rule for factions in The Mists of Dread is that each faction has a single 'reaction score' towards the party. This functions very similarly to a hireling's loyality rating and loyalty checks (B518-519), except that new rolls are less frequent in favour of straight increases and reductions (to cut down on dice rolls).

The first time the party makes an impression (positive or negative, just as long as it's lasting) upon some influencial figure within a faction (such as the leader, a favoured champion or frequent representative), make a reaction roll for that entire faction.
The modifiers to this roll should generally be the same as if only the single person were reacting to the group as a whole - although the GM is free to rule that both bonuses and penalties are lessened by 1 (so a +4 becomes +3, while a -5 becomes -4...), to account for the fact that a single figure within an organisation - no matter how iconic - can truly dictact EVERY member's opinion.
Once that inital score has been rolled, the GM should generally add or subtract to it, based on future interactions between the party and the faction. See Reaction Rolls (B494) for information on what the score means.

Good general modifiers to the score/roll include:
* Harmed the faction's interests/resources/members: -2 to -12
* Donation or bribe: +1 per $1000 given, less than $1000 may mean one or two minor favours from the faction
* Rudeness towards an influencial figure: -1 to -4
* The party has at least one "monster" or "savage" member in it: -1 to -4 per member, depending on how racist/snobbish the faction overall is.
* The party shows itself to be honorable and fair in its dealings, keeping promises and not lying in a self-serving manner: +1 to +5, depending on how much the faction prizes honesty
* The party has an influencial figure within the faction either "on their side" or "over a barrel" (i.e. in a romantic relationship with a party member, deep in debt to the party, the party is blackmailing or mind-controlling the figure, etc.): +4 to +8
* A member of the party has a Claim to Hospitality, or similar advantage like Clerical Investment: +3 per party member
* Bringing some manner of significant harm to an influencial figure: -4 to -8

3.1 The Temple of Fortuna

Fortuna is the Good Goddess of Luck, Fate, Karma and Probability. According to the scriptures, she has had an exciting and tiring life since the creation of the multiverse, fighting in the thickest of The First Divine Civil War and losing several of her closest allies in the second. Most notable was her falling out with her sister Boadicea during The First Divine Civil War over her brutal and manipulative tactics, which sparked a quiet feud between them and their respective churches that still continues to this day.
In the scriptures, Fortuna is depicted as a fatalistic and depressive blonde woman in a red dress, constantly flipping a large and heavy golden coin.
Her church is a popular one in Mistvale, although the actual actions of its priesthood and holy warriors seem convoluted and random, as be fitting their goddess.
Clerics of Fortuna get various spells, most famously Bless and Curse. See Dungeon Fantasy 8 for more.
Paladins of Fortuna get holy abilities like Luck, Oracle, Sense Curses, Enhanced Dodge, Danger Sense, Precognition, Visualization, Daredevil and Blessed (Heroic Feats).
High Priestess Penelope Baccomb leads the chapter in Mistvale, and has proven herself politically savvy and strong willed, although unexperienced in personal relationships. Her full writeup is in the Notable NPCs section.
Currently, the temple harboured a divine artifact called The Chalice of Third Heaven within its deepest ceremonial dungeons, which were constructed by the servants of the God Devis at Fortuna's personal request.

Faction reaction modifiers:
* The party contains worshippers of Boadicea: -2 per member, -4 if the member is a cleric or paladin of Boadicea
* The party contains worshippers of Fortuna: +1 per member, +3 if the member is a cleric or paladin of Fortuna
* The party members have any level of Luck (church dogma states constant good luck is a sign that the individual helped advance Fortuna's agenda somehow and was blessed for it), or the Unluckiness disadvantage (church dogma states bad luck helps even the universe, allowing those in need to get the occassional lucky break when they need it): +1 per member
* The party successfully wins a game of chance against an influencial figure: +2 if the odds were even or in favour of the party, +4 if the odds were fairly against the party, +6 if the odds were almost impossible for the party

3.2 The Temple of Boadicea

Boadicea is the Neutral Goddess of Tactical Warfare, Bravery and Strength. According to the scriptures, she has fought several other gods (particularly Evil ones) in personal combat at least once, and has lead her followers into battle through divine guidance frequently over the centuries since creation.
She is often depicted as an armoured blonde woman, carrying multiple weapons and a sheild bearing the church's sigil.
Boadicea's Temple has found little favour amongst Mistvale's most politically powerful residents, although the priesthood nevertheless manages to make significant gains of resources through cunning and varied power. Their most current goal is to gain possession of The Chalice of The Third Heaven from The Temple of Fortuna.
Cannoness Prudence Da Nang leads the local chapter as its spiritual and military leader. She views all other religions in Mistvale, except for Al-Tolf's, with silent and amused disdain. See her full writeup in Notable NPCs.
Clerics of Boadicea use the soldier and officer War God templates from DF7 p.30, with their spell lists typically favouring spells of attack, information gathering and movement.
Paladins of Boadicea also use the soldier and officer War God templates, with their holy abilities including Blessed (Heroic Feats), Terror, Enhanced Move, Striking ST, Visualization, Innate Attack and Modular Abilities (combat skills only).

* The party contains worshippers of Fortuna: -2 per member, -4 if the member is a cleric or paladin of Fortuna
* The party contains worshippers of Boadicea: +1 per member, +3 if the member is a cleric or paladin of Boadicea
* The party contains members with any of Higher Purpose (Slay Demons), Higher Purpose (Slay Undead), Mortal Foe, Combat Reflexes or Striking ST: +2 per member
* The party cleanly defeats an enemy through superior tactics, brute force or pragmatic strategy: +3

3.3 The Temple of Devis

Devis is the Neutral God of Puzzles, Deception and Traps. According to scriptures, he is the youngest of the Gods, although his parentage is greatly disputed.
Devis is often depicted as a tall man in a heavy cloak with a hidden face and a completely right mechanical arm.
Although popular amongst some of the criminal elements and plenty of the poor, the Temple of Devis has gained little prestige and money. The fact that an exarch or worshipper of Devis is strongly suspected to be a serial killer known as The Trapmaster doesn't help much either. Still, at least it gives the downtrodden somewhere to go when they need a handup and some encouragement.
High Priest Iago Jackalknife is self-absorbed and greedy, with an eye towards gladhandling and goldbricking his way into the criminal underworld. He's had some success running a fence out of his most faithful altar boy's house, but he's not as nearly as slick as he seems to think he is. Not to mention that his risky business is on its way to causing a schism within the church. See his full writeup in the Notable NPCs section.
Clerics of Devis have a mixture of the Messenger/Rogue God and Artificer God templates from DF7, with their spells including the illusion, mind control, protection and warning, meta-magic, transformation and movement colleges
Paladins of Devis get holy abilities such as Danger Sense, Oracle, Empathy, Enthrallment and Blessed (Heroic Intelligence).

* The party contains worshippers of Devis: +1 per member, +3 if the member is a cleric or paladin of Devis
* The party successfully scams or tricks an powerful enemy who isn't a member of The Temple: +2
* The party contains members of the gnome and halfling race (church dogma considers both as the chosen people of Devis): +2 per member

CONTINUED NEXT POST...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
ajardoor

3.4 The Temple of Al-Tolf

Al-Tolf is the Good God of Life and Defense. According to scripture, he is the oldest god there ever was, one of the first to get involved with the creation of the multiverse, and has waged countless crusades against any entity who dares to threaten existence.
Al-Tolf is often depicted similarly to the stereotypical "sky father" figure, although he differs by being flamboyantly dressed and his beard is technicoloured.
The Al-Tolf Temple is easily the most generally liked in all of Mistvale, even amongst the bad people. His temple has mostly been devoting its political power towards building fortifications for the city in case of military attack. It is generally unknown why, but everyone just assumes that they have a good reason to do so.
There is no central high priest that the clergy answer to, but a council of its oldest and wisest members.
Clerics and Paladins of Al-Tolf generally follow the default DF1 templates.

* The party contains worshippers of Al-Tolf: +1 per member, +3 if the member is a cleric or paladin of Al-Tolf
* The party improves the general stability and safety of civilisation in Mistvale (i.e. healing a plague, defeating an invading army, stopping a gang war, etc.): +4
* The party contains worshippers of any God of Disease, Destruction, Death or Insanity: -3 per member, -7 if the member is a cleric or paladin of such a god
* The party contains members that are significantly well-armoured (at least 5 damage reduction): +1 per member

3.5.1 The Merchants' Guild

They're merchants. They buy and sell things.
Most of The Merchants' Guild is controlled by a vampire cult, but not all of it. And pretty much everyone in the Merchants' Guild knows jack**** about the cult's influence - including half of the cult itself (most think they're serving a demon, wizard or cleric of some evil god AND they reckon the cult controls about 15% of the entire guild).
The Merchants' Guild currently wants to buy magic items of any kind (the cult is big on researching hidden lore), gold and ores. Thus, the richest local industries right now are mining and adventuring.
At least half of each monthly profit gets skimmed off the top by the cult to fund various activities - usually security, bribes, social functions, public relations, investigations, thefts and a few assassinations.

* The party is caught cheating the guild (i.e. filching items or using the black market): -2
* The party helps pass legislation that eases trade restrictions: +3
* The party gives hot tips on the market to an influencial figure in the guild: +1 to +5, depending on how useful the info is
* The party gets in debt: -1 per level of the Debt disadvantage or $100 owed
* The party exposes the vampire cult's corruption of the guild and puts an end to it: +14

3.5.2 The Vampire Cult

Despite the cult's name here, only it's leader and four hand-picked second-in-commands are actually vampires. The rest are either just human worshippers/employees or ignorant rubes.
Vampire queen Eliza Carthia is the leader of the cult and is a master mage on top of her well-developed vampiric gifts. She sees herself as business woman and idle curiosity investigator, first and foremost. She prefers to stay hidden because she feels it would be easier to stay alive this way. Her most evil acts are reactive and born of sloth and emotional isolation than any lust or wrath, like killing someone in self defense (Eliza hates the idea of dying for good and takes any assassination attempt extra personally) and stealing money to fund her comfortable lair. Her followers, of course, are sometimes an different flavor of vice-ridden - much to Eliza's chagrin and worry.
Eliza Carthia is written up fully in the Notable NPCs section.

* The party causes details about the cult of any kind to become public knowledge or rumor: -1 to -9, depending on how badly the cult's cover is blown
* The party tries to kill Eliza Carthia: -13, -20 if they succeed and the cult survives
* The party gives some of their blood to the cult's vampiric members: +3
* The party contains a powerful non-divine and non-Druidic magic user (Magery 5+): +3

3.6.1 The Thieves' Guild

The Thieves' Guild is a gathering of several crime syndicates that work to control various illegal rackets.
Unlike the assassins, the public is generally aware that the guild exists. Thus, the City Watch is trying to crack down on them.
The guild makes a point of robbing trade caravans and nobles for loot. This has made them very unpopular.
The strongest syndicate within the Thieves' Guild is currently the Ten Knives Bandit Gang.

* The party contains a competent thief (at least 250 points, without the Criminal Record Social Stigma): +1 per member, with an extra +1 per full 50 character points over 250
* The party deals a significant blow to the City Watch: +3 to +7, depending on severity of their actions
* The party contains a justicar, paladin of a God of Justice/Order/Law/whatever or cleric of a God of Justice/Order/Law: -2 per member
* The party pulls off a successful heist and pays the guild its appropriate percentage: +1 to +4, depending on how stylish the hiest was and how much the percentage was
* The party causes the Ten Knives to lose their political power within the guild (the guild's general membership resents their success): +3

3.6.2 The Ten Knives Bandit Syndicate

Thanks to their secret alliance with the highly corrupted Grey Shields, they have robbed enough to afford an exceptional hideout deep in the backwoods where they keep extravagant and well-fortified living quarters for their members.
They are led by the flamboyant bandit king Oz Bruckner (see the full write-up of him and his trusted subordinates in the Monsters section).

* The party contains a justicar, paladin of a God of Justice/Order/Law/whatever or cleric of a God of Justice/Order/Law: -2 per member
* The party contains a competent thief (at least 250 points, without the Criminal Record Social Stigma): +1 per member, with an extra +1 per full 50 character points over 250

3.6.1 The Assassins' Guild

A secret society of a few Shadow Elves has recruited independent thieves, freelance assassins and a few ninja clans to kill for hire. Their existence is generally not known.
They sometimes watch for new talents to induct as go-betweens, associates, informants and sometimes full members.
Naturally, no one in the guild knows anything about the Shadow Elves controlling them, not they'd care very much.
Several factions have made contact with guild go-betweens to arrange a contract, although none have come even close to meeting a full member or Shadow Elf leader face-to-face.

* Any change in the reaction score of the Shadow Elf Council also changes the Assassins' Guild score
* The party foils an assassination attempt by the guild: -2 to -8, depending on the importance of the job
* The party cheats the guild on a contract: -4
* The party completes a contract for the guild, does so without alerting the authorities and pays the appropriate percentage: +1
* The party exposes the guild's activities to the public, accidentally or not: -4 to -10, depending on the severity of the exposure
* The party exposes the Shadow Elf Council's control of the guild and ends it without destroying the Assassins' Guild in the process: +2

CONTINUED NEXT POST...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
ajardoor

3.6.2.1 The Shadow Elf Council

The Shadow Elf leadership are a divided lot. Mages, assassins, master ninjas and clerics of various neutral and evil gods make up their number. Some of the council members are written up in the Monster section.
Each uses the guild primarily as a way of making money to fund his/her own little obsessions and personal quests.
Collectively, they decide on assassin guild policy, but they have problems with caring about the smaller picture, which they delegate to their direct sub-ordinates.
And no, not every Shadow Elf is on the council. Just these particular Shadow Elves.

* Interferring with Assassins' Guild business, if it harms the agendas of the majority of the council members: same penalties as for the Assassins' Guild
* The party contains a competent assassin, ninja or Shadow Elf (at least 250 points, without the Criminal Record Social Stigma): +1 per member, with an extra +1 per 50 extra character points
* Exposing their existence to either the public or Assassins' Guild: -5 to -8, depending on the severity of the exposure
* Killing a councilor, unless it was on the order of another councilor: -3

3.6.2.2 Left Hand Versus Right Hand

The agendas and numbers of the councilors is intentionally left vague, with the exception of the example councilors given later. Generally, build them as around 350 to 500 points, with a few power-ups (see DF11) here and there.
Most importantly, though, is that the Council is mostly unaware of each other's individual agendas and won't care unless it is at odds with his/her own. To simulate this, the GM may roll 2d - 1d whenever he figures the Council will notice a major event happening in Mistvale and wants to react to it.
If the dice comes up less than 9, the majority of the Council members will clash with each other due to their competiting goals and the action (whetever it's an assassination attempt or simply buying food supplies in bulk) is made less effective as a result.

3.6.3 Dirty Deeds Done at Reasonable Prices

Placing a contract on someone's head requires getting in contact with a guild go-between and proving you're on the level. It should require using the Streetwise skill at a decent penalty (-4 to -10), followed by a roll against Diplomacy or Fast-Talk at -4 to get your foot in the door. Expect yet another roll against your Forgery skill versus a generic skill of 18, or breaking into the public records and altering them, if you're NOT on the level. Wait another 1d + 1 days, and you'll be ready to do business.
So how much is an assassination contract worth?
The price starts at $2000 and has no real 'ceiling'.
A contract on Dank Vinald will be worth $20000. Any watchmen will be worth at least ($4500 + (2d X $100)) due to the fact that they're POLICEMEN.
Carrietta Whitler? $15000 (mages are tough targets).
Prudence Da Nang is $10500.
Penelope Baccomb is $17500 (she's way too popular and public to justify a lower price).
Iago Jackalknife is $10000.
Orel Prescott is $4500 (druids aren't very respected by the guild).
Carmine Aesop is not 'for sale'...at the moment...But if he WAS, $50000.
The Guild has no information on Nyx, but won't even try if they find out she's an Exarch of Aradia...Otherwise, they'll figure she's just some random woman off the street and price the hit at $2000.
Oz Bruckner is $18500 (supply and demand at work...). His second-in-commands are all $9000 each.
The Guild knows nothing of Eliza Carthia, but her price could reach up to $45000 if they knew some accurate details.
Any hit taken out on a Shadow Elf Councilor will be accepted for the price of $12500...at first, before the Council hears mention of it. Then the client will be refunded his money due to 'unfortunate circumstances before our control' and then watched like a hawk by the Council. And maybe killed.
The Grey Sheild leadership are all worth $9000 each.
Any given member of a noble family will be priced at ($5000 + (1d-2 X $500)).
A major figure in the Thieves' Guild would be worth $10000.
Attempting to place a hit on another assassin within the guild will get you laughed at.
A contract on a merchant will cost $(3500 + ((2d - 1d) X $100)).
The typical Guild percentage is 40%, although the Guild reserves the right to lower or raise this at their discretition.

3.7.1 The Town Watch

Dank Vinald leads the Town Watch, with more than a decade of quality police work under his belt. He runs it competently and honestly, brooking no abuse of power by his men. See his full writeup in the Notable NPC section.
See the stats for the average Town Watchmen in the Monsters section.
The political situation means that the Merchants' Guild and the noble families get priority in deciding which cases get the full attention of the Watch, a fact that annoys Cheif Vinald and most of the watchmen to no end.
The Watch are fairly well funded and armed.
Their current efforts are directed towards Thieves' Guild activity and The Trapmaster.

* The party contains a thief, an assassin, a ninja or similarly lawbreaking character: -2 per member
* The party turns in a criminal, or kills one in self defense: +1 to +7, depending on how malicious the criminal was
* The party contains a justicar, paladin of a God of Justice/Order/Law or cleric of a God of Justice/Law/Order: +2 per member
* The party exposes, humilates and/or defeats a major criminal faction (Thieves' Guild, Assassins' Guild, Shadow Elf Council, Ten Knives Syndicate, The Grey Sheilds, etc.): +5 to +10
* The party contributes significantly to the city's stability and safety (i.e. curing a plague, building fortifications, making peace between two factions, etc.): +2 to +7

3.7.2 I Fought the Law...

What if the party breaks the law? What if they slay a policeman or the Chief?
These are important questions for the GM to answer before he starts the game, as the campaign could be ruined if the party becomes wanted fugitives that the town watch will kill on sight, and execute if arrested.
Keep in mind that the watchmen probably won't take bribes to get out of jail, although sufficient clout with the Merchants' Guild or a powerful noble family might do it, if the charge isn't too serious or the case against the perp isn't too open-and-shut.
But if the party goes weasel out of their punishment this way, the reaction score of the City Watch should be reduced by 12 and the characters involved should gain the Criminal Record Social Stigma to indicate that the Watch has pegged them for scofflaws, even though it's off the record.

CONTINUED NEXT POST...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
ajardoor

3.8 The Wizards' Guild & Academy

Magisteress Carrietta Whitler heads up the Wizards' Guild and stands as the head of the Academy as well. Her reputation and emotional stability is currently in doubt, despite the generally unified support for her. Nevertheless, she remains all the qualities that made her a powerful magic-user in the first place; curiosity, cunning and an unbreakable will. See her full writeup in the Notable NPCs section.
The noble families and the Merchants' Guild are the most frequent hirers of Guild wizards, but definitely not the only ones.
What effects the Wizards' Guild tends to effect all other factions in Mistvale - it's not like magic items are constantly imported into the city, so many have to rely on Academy-trained and Guild-apporved magic users. Freelancers with the right spells can make a lot of money off anyone who dislikes the idea of leaving a paper trail.
The Guild keeps track of all its members, including keeping a registry of all their known spells, magic items and job history. If the players need info on a Guild wizard, they should make friends with a high-up in the organisation.
The Guild sells magic items, spellbooks, enchantments, power item charging, concoctions, exilirs and training in the arcane arts (Wizards and Bards only, Clerics, Summoners and Martial Artists apply elsewhere). Refer to DF 1, DF 3, DF 4 and DF 8 for prices on these services. Hiring a Guild wizard to cast a spell (default skill level to cast: 14) costs $2 per energy point, +$5 for every +1 to skill level and +$20 for every hour of work beyond the first.
Lately, the Guild has expressed interest in the ruins of Mistvale-That-Was, hiring bands of adventurers to explore them for lost lore and magic items.

* The party contains a competent wizard or bard (250 points, with at least 50 points in spells or magical traits): +2 per member, extra +1 per extra 50 points spent on magical advantages or traits
* The party donates a spellbook or magic item to the Academy's library: +1 per $100 worth of value
* The party is caught violating Wizards' Guild previlege (i.e. stiffing a bill for services rendered from a Guild Wizard, unauthorized access of the spell registry or smuggling magic items): -2 to -6, depending on the severity

3.9.1 The Grey Sheilds Road Wardens

The mercenary company hired to patrol the backwoods and trade roads of Mistvale is named the Grey Wardens. Its actions are directed by the group of senior members Mavis Orgham, Victoria Banestown, Oscar Worthers and Richard Cowlwater. See their write-ups in the Monsters sections.
The mercenary company is one of the many to form during the Copper Wars in the East fifty years ago. Since then, they've absorbed a dozern adventuring and bandit groups into their main structure.
And grown extensively corrupt in the meantime, too. Even those who don't get bribed by the Ten Knives are still self-entitled bullies. About four fifths of the organization in Mistvale is in the pocket of the Ten Knives. That includes ALL of the leadership.
Despite their success at gouging Mistvale for plenty of coin, they're slowly but surely marching towards doom, one way or another. No faction in Mistvale has a positive opinion of them, even the Ten Knives think they're being squeezed too hard, and City Hall hates their attitude. Something's gotta give...

Faction reaction modifers:
* Exposing their corruption to either the public or City Hall: -5 to -8, depending on the severity of the exposure

3.9.2 The Under The Table Relay

So how do the Ten Knives make their bribes to the Grey Sheilds?
First, the main leadership can count on a discrete brown bag of gold and silver coins ($2000) delivered to each of their rooms at the HQ every two weeks, disguised as laundry or various weapons.
The next lower level on the pecking order each gets $500 and everyone else in on it gets $100.
Individual Grey Sheilds who do a favour for a Ten Knives bandit typically ask for $50 minimum.
If there's a problem on either end, the message is delivered through an innkeeper and requires a password (that changes every three months).
If the Grey Sheilds don't get their payments, they'll start cracking down furiously on the low level Ten Knives bandits to remind Oz Bruckner of his 'obligations'.
While the Ten Knives THINK that the Grey Sheilds have no idea where their hideout is, the truth is that the leadership had already put a few wizards onto the task and quickly located its general area, for 'insurance purposes'.

3.10.1 The Noble Families

There are quite a few large families who have made a fortune in industry and agriculture. Mistvale's economy is affected greatly by the actions of these affluent people.
I have purposely left the families undetailed and unnumbered, so the GM can create his own and use them mostly as a plot device.

3.10.2 Skeletons in the Closet

Naturally, quite a few nobles are involved in bad stuff.
Sometimes, it's just a crime of some sort, or a scandalous affair or drug addiction.
In more disturbing instances, a noble will make a deal with an infernal entity for power or riches.
At least one noble family is controlled by a great-great-great-grandfather who's a powerful lich.

3.10.3 Shakespeare's Plot Hooks

If you really want to use the noble families as a jumping off point for a plot, steal from the best!
Romero and Juliet: the son and daughter from rival families fall in love. The party is hired to either help them or break up their relationship.
Hamlet: the son of a murdered nobleman hires the party to investigate a haunting. It turns out the ghost is the man's murdered father, trying to convince anyone who'll listen that he was murdered by his brother for his wife's hand and position as head of the family.
Othello: a nobleman grows ever suspicious of his wife, thanks to his scheming assistant. The party is hired to either prove his wife's innocence, or help the assistant.
King Lear: an aging nobleman wants to test the loyalties and leadership abilities of his three daughters.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
ajardoor

4. Notable NPCs

"Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things."
-- Peter Drucker

"The worst thing I've ever seen someone do is set a good example."
-- Eliza Carthia

The following NPCs have not been fully written up in terms of game stats.
This isn't because I want to discourage players trying to kill them, but because these NPCs just aren't going to be directly relevant to the party's situation, even though they are an important part of the setting. The party probably isn't going to meet them face-to-face, or attack them directly, barring the GM's implicit say-so.
But, to both comprimise with those who feel all NPCs should be properly integrated into the game mechanics and to help give some idea on their capabilties, I have included some of their most iconic general traits (skills, advantages, disadvantages, powers...) in notes.

4.1 Watch Chief Dank Vinald

Quote: "I hate scofflaws, certainly. But the lawless are even worse. The scofflaws will at least care about what laws they're violating."

Background: The streets of Blackchill City were not a safe place during The 3rd Crusade of Voluta. The worst of the mob had just come out on top of the gang wars and had the entire docks snuggly under their thumbs. It took a fine policedwarf indeed to break their grim strangehold on the nation's capital, and Dank Vinald was that justicar. By the time his taskforce had finished a good 5 years of investigations, several of the world's worst criminal sociopaths were either behind bars or executed. Since then, Vinald's star continued to rise, and soon caught the eye of Carmine Aesop. Reckonising Vinald as the dwarf for Mistvale, Aesop has given the Watch Chief as long a leash as possible in fighting the Thieves' Guild.

Description: Dank Vinald dresses in a simple, neat and dignified manner. He prefers a carmel-ish yellow in his Watch uniform, with shined buttons and a press-dried corner hat. His blue eyes shine with a rough decency, his face is wrinkled by a clean and dedicated work ethic and his thick blonde hair is combed somewhat foppishly where it's not plated in a heavy bread. When not on the job, he prefers pastel suits with thin leather shoes.

Personality: He's trying, trying to be that good shephard. Even if that means slowly burning himself on a virtual parade of vices and tragedies. He, at heart, dislikes a lot of his job, but he's willing to put up with it if it means making the world safe for the little guy.

Notable Traits:
Attributes and Secondary Characteristics: ST 13, DX 12, IQ 12, HT 15, Damage 1d thr/2d-1 sw, HP 14, Will 13, Per 13, FP 18, Basic Speed 6.75, Basic Move 5
Advantages: All from DF3 Dwarf Racial Template, Good Reputation +4, Danger Sense, Allies (Town Watch), Contacts Group (City Hall).
Disadvantages: All from DF3 Dwarf Racial Template, Honesty (9), Bad Temper (15), Sense of Duty (Mistvale), Intolerance (Career Criminals).
Skills: Intimidation-(14), Search-(14), Observation-(16), Broardsword-(17), Shield-(14), Strategy-(13), Interrogation-(15), Leadership-(16), Savoir-Faire (High Society)-(13), Streetwise-(15).

4.2 Magisteress Carrietta Whitler

Quote: "I haven't got time enough to explain everything wrong with how the latest paper on northen hermetic runes, even if I did know the Time Stop spell. Clearly, we must review the theory work on practical applications of information spells once more, if we are to retain our standards of research."

Background: Carrietta Whitler grew up in the steampunk city-state of Kincaid to the south, born in the lap of luxury as the daughter of the Royal Doctor for King Eric the Fourth. An unfortunate accident in her rebellious teen years left her blind in one eye for a year until it was healed by a Cleric of Al-Tolf. The disfigurement left her shaken, having taught her just how random and inevitable she could be undone. To fight off her feelings of helplessness, she took to studying what she saw as the only sure path to control of her own fate: magic. Once she had mastered the basics of magery, Whitler then spent three years travelling the globe in search of new magic to study before retiring to her current position as Magisteress of the Mistvale chapter of the Wizards' Guild.

Description: The years are just now catching up to the Magisteress. Her bloodshot hazel eyes have heavy bags under them and there is a slight tinge of desperation to her mussed, long black hair. Her soft Hispanic features have lost their class and energy to a tenure of relentless study and dynamic political games. Her fingers are ink stained and calloused. Her Guild garb is a delightfully well-designed robe, boasting fine materials with beautiful silver decorations around the breast pocket and fringes. Whitler generally tries to wear several enchanted items on her person at all times.

Personality: Magisteress Whitler isn't really a bad person. She just seems that way because she puts up such a good front. When she's meeting with others on a professional basis, she's relentlessly organised, thoughtful and full of easy bravado. It's an act. The Magisteress' mental stability has taken a few hits from the pressures of the job and the numerous magical disasters she's been exposed to. Her growing insanity mostly takes the form of a drinking problem and secret anxieties that her allies are setting her up for betrayal. She mostly responds to these fears with a hyper focus on her work.

Notable Traits:
Attributes and Secondary Characteristics: ST 10, DX 12, IQ 16, HT 12, Will 18, Per 13, Damage 1d-2 thr/ 1d sw, HP 10, FP 16, Basic Speed 6.50, Basic Move 6.
Advantages: Magery 5, Mind Shield 5, Allies (Wizards), Contacts Group (Nobles), Contacts Group (City Hall).
Disadvantages: Curious (12), Paranoia, Alcoholism (12), Obsession (Learn Ten New Spells), Workaholic.
Skills: Thaumatology-(25), Occultism-(25), most Hidden Lore specialities at 17, Alchemy-(20), Teaching-(16), Diplomacy-(18).
Spells: All Meta college spells at 21, all Hard Knowledge college spells at 23, another 60 points worth of other wizardly spells.

CONTINUED NEXT POST...

Last edited by ajardoor; 07-08-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #10
ajardoor

4.3 Cannoness Prudence Da Nang

Quote: "I do not care. Now, leave my sight. NOW!"

Background: Raised in the harsh borderlands of the north, Prudence Da Nang grew up wallowing in the background of several skirmishes between principalities. She had experienced very few times of peace by her 15th birthday, at which point she left home to join a mercenary army. There, she was introduced to the worship of Boadicea and was inspired to devote her life to the waging of combat in the name of The Mother of Battle.

Description: Da Nang is proud of her violent heritage, and makes little effort to cover the pale scars that dot her otherwise dark and exotic skin. Her well maintained armour and weaponry is a constant. She keeps her chocolate brown hair cut short. Her eyes are a hard emerald green.

Personality: Prudence Da Nang is a woman in love with the power her faith and her battles have given her. While not particularly sadistic or envious, she nevertheless tries to give everyone around her the impression that she can do things for (and to) them, if they give her motivation to do so. Anyone who dismisses her does more than insult her, for Da Nang considers being unfeared the first step on the road to being completely discarded, like a broken, rusted over sword.

Notable Traits:
Attributes and Secondary Characteristics: ST 13, DX 13, IQ 12, HT 14, HP 15, Will 15, Per 13, FP 15, Damage 1d+1 thr/2d+1 sw, Basic Speed 8, Basic Move 8.
Advantages: Combat Reflexes, War Born Leader 3, Striking ST 2 (Holy), Holiness 4, Higher Purpose (Slay Religious Enemies), Terror (Holy), Allies (Paladins and Clerics of Boadicea).
Disadvantages: Selfish (12), Code of Honor (Soldier's), Overconfidence (9), No Sense of Humor.
Skills: Two-Handed Sword-(25), Quick-Draw (Sword)-(18), Tactics-(17), Strategy-(17), Theology-(14), Armoury (Melee Weapons)-(13), Religious Ritual-(15), Leadership-(19), Crossbow-(16), Intimidation-(19).

4.4 High Priestess Penelope Baccomb

Quote: "Don't worry, I'll be there when I'll be there."

Background: Orphaned as a toddler, the Temple of Fortuna in the city-state of Belloq adopted Penelope Baccomb into its boarding school, teaching her all about the glory and beauty of Fortuna's domain. Since having left the convent, Baccomb spent her twenties and thirties travelling to distant lands, until she was instructed to join the Mistvale temple by an angel of Fortuna. 8 years later, she had secured a position as High Priestess.

Description: Despite being in her forties, the High Priestess has a pale but fresh and youthful face, like a porceilan doll. Her clerical robes are well-tailored and figure-flattering, showing off an impressive white and red pattern. Penelope wears her medium length crimson hair in a bun, which serves to emphasise the sparkling life in her gold eyes.

Personality: Mild mannered to a fault, Baccomb prefers to keep a 'hands-off' approach to personal interaction, letting people form their own opinions and rarely insisting upon anything. The only hint of a darker side is an equally distant reaction to tragic disasters and thoughtless brutality. She understands exactly why such things happen, so it's easy for her to just gloos over it.

Notable Traits:
Attributes and Secondary Characteristics: ST 12, DX 12, IQ 14, HT 12, Damage 1d-1 thr/1d+2, Will 17, Per 14, HP 12, HT 12, Basic Speed 6.00, Basic Move 6.
Advantages: Clerical Investment, Power Investiture (Holy) 5, Ridiculous Luck, Beautiful Appearance.
Disadvantages: Sense of Duty (Co-religionists), Pacifism (Self Defense Only), Mild Shyness.
Skills: Theology-(19), Religious Ritual-(25), Exorcism-(25), Meditation-(22), First Aid-(16), Public Speaking-(16), Diplomacy-(16) Savoir-Faire (High Society)-(17).
Spells: Curse-(22), Bless-(19), Blade Turning-(20), Missile Shield-(24), Sense Danger-(26), Divination-(25), Predict Weather-(19), another 50 points worth of clerical spells.

4.5 High Priest Iago Jackalknife

Quote: "Ha ha ha, yes, Devis truly works in, uh, mysterious ways, don't he? Aaaaanyways..."

Background: Iago Jackalknife grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, and loved every minute of it. The Temple of Devis was always there with a free meal and a sermon on lateral thinking, so he naturally gravitated towards joining the priesthood. Despite disapproval of his attitude, his superiors began to trust him as he showed time and time again that he would always put in the hard yards. When the last High Priest passed away last year, he left the position to Jackalknife, convinced that even Iago's questionable dealings would not disrupt the temple's holy works.

Description: Jackalknife has a ruddy complexion, with a thin layer of dirt clinging to his legs. His High Priest garments are heavy brown cloaks, each with a large black leather belt. Thick brown hair frames his face and his similarly brown eyes are small and mischievous.

Personality: One part Steve Busmeci's character in Fargo and two parts Ferris Bueller. He's a weasely, pedantic shovelhead, who got most of his breaks in life through being just that annoyingly hard to shake off. Nevertheless, you can't help but think he's reliable and understands the situation exactly.

Notable Traits:
Attributes and Secondary Characteristics: ST 10, DX 14, IQ 14, HT 12, Will 13, Per 16, HP 11, FP 12, Basic Speed 7.00, Basic Move 7.
Advantages: Empathy, Clerical Investment, Power Investiture (Holy) 4, Danger Sense.
Disadvantages: Greed (15), Trickster (12), Selfish (15), Sense of Duty (Co-religionists), Overconfidence (9).
Skills: Theology-(15), Religious Ritual-(14), Knife-(15), Throwing-(14), Streetwise-(18), Fast-Talk-(18), Cloak-(19), Smuggling-(15), Holdout-(16), Observation-(17), Urban Survival-(20).
Spells: Light Tread-(20), Quick March-(17), Lighten Burden-(17), Lockmaster-(22), Monk's Banquet-(20), See Secrets-(20), Gift of Letters-(18), Gift of Tongues-(18), Insignificance-(20), another 45 points into clerical spells.

CONTINUED NEXT POST...

Last edited by ajardoor; 04-10-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Tags
adventure, dungeon fantasy, project, super-adventure