Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
Sciencezam

Default [Spaceships] Two-handed Mecha Weapons

Pretty straightforward-how would one go about making a weapon for a mecha, constructed with the Spaceships system, that requires two mecha hands to wield?

To my understanding, a Robot Arm system can hold one handheld major battery (or some combination of weapons in a smaller battery, that are fused together as part of the same mount). And I think there's something on Oversized weapons, which take 3 system slots (three hands?) to carry a Spinal Battery. So what does a 2 system slot/two handed weapon count as?

The goal in this case is a large squad-support conventional gun, used for long-range precision work with the mecha carrying it. This, to be more specific.
Sciencezam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Celti

Default Re: [Spaceships] Two-handed Mecha Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencezam View Post
To my understanding, a Robot Arm system can hold one handheld major battery (or some combination of weapons in a smaller battery, that are fused together as part of the same mount). And I think there's something on Oversized weapons, which take 3 system slots (three hands?) to carry a Spinal Battery. So what does a 2 system slot/two handed weapon count as?
I think it's fair to treat two Robot Arms as being able to carry a handheld Spinal Battery if it is braced against the mecha's shoulder like your typical rifle — which your example weapon appears to be, from the statement that it looks more-or-less like an oversized MG3.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Varyon

Default Re: [Spaceships] Two-handed Mecha Weapons

It should be possible to expand the table to cover in-between cases. I did something similar for designing my own take on Star Wars style blasters. Here's a modified version of that progression:

Code:
Output	dDam
100 kJ	1d
150 kJ	1d+1
200 kJ	1d+1
300 kJ	1d+2
500 kJ	1d+2
700 kJ	2d-1
1 MJ	2d
1.5 MJ	2d+1
2 MJ	2d+2
3 MJ	3d
5 MJ	3d+2
7 MJ	4d+1
10 MJ	5d
15 MJ	5d+2
20 MJ	6d+1
30 MJ	7d
50 MJ	8d
70 MJ	9d
100 MJ	10d
150 MJ	11d+2
200 MJ	13d+1
300 MJ	15d
500 MJ	16d+2
700 MJ	18d+1
1 GJ	20d
Note this is slightly different from the default SS progression - mine goes 3-5-7 rather than 3-4-6 - in order to use the SSR progression from the rest of GURPS. This only makes a difference at the 10 xJ and 30 xJ (where x stands for any prefix) points.

This is only dDam1. For dDam2, just multiply output by 10 to determine damage.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, spaceships