Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #21
Zarathustra

Default Re: SJG so needs to renew the GURPS Wild Cards license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Well, going by a career working with real criminals*, most actual people who commit crimes are not anywhere close to movie villains. Anyone even approaching movie levels of criminal intent is going to be worth several thousand real persons in jail.

The Joker, in the Batman setting, is conveniently crazier (while at the same time, more dangerous) than any organised criminal has ever been. Assuming that you accept superheroes in your setting, it's not all that weird to imagine that Jokers would be several orders of magnitude more dangerous than normal criminals.

If they weren't, there would be no need for PCs. There would just be sensible people who called the police.

*I'm a defence attorney.
???

Jokers aren't criminals. (Most of them anyway.)
Zarathustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #22
Refplace

Quote:
Well, going by a career working with real criminals*, most actual people who commit crimes are not anywhere close to movie villains. Anyone even approaching movie levels of criminal intent is going to be worth several thousand real persons in jail.

The Joker, in the Batman setting, is conveniently crazier (while at the same time, more dangerous) than any organised criminal has ever been. Assuming that you accept superheroes in your setting, it's not all that weird to imagine that Jokers would be several orders of magnitude more dangerous than normal criminals.

If they weren't, there would be no need for PCs. There would just be sensible people who called the police.

*I'm a defence attorney.
Most of the real dangerous criminals would be Aces but I can see how the mass mind would take a lot out on Jokers.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #23
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
???

Jokers aren't criminals. (Most of them anyway.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Most of the real dangerous criminals would be Aces but I can see how the mass mind would take a lot out on Jokers.
The vast majority of people are not criminals, just as the overwhelming majority of airline passengers are non-violent and harmless people. That has remarkably little to do with what other people fear from them, especially if they can be perceived as belonging to a minority if you squint.

The actual percentile chance that someone will commit a crime has little to do with the perceived risk from that person. Compare the security around cows and soda dispensers (real risks) to the ridiculous charades carried out over sharks and minorities (popular fake risks) to get an idea of how unimportant actual risk factors are to the way authorities react.

Last edited by Icelander; 09-11-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #24
Culture20

Quote:
The Joker, in the Batman setting,
The parent to your post was using the term "Jokers" as defined in the Wild Card series (a human mutated to deformity by virus who does not possess any super human powers). Infected people are classed by playing card ranks.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #25
dataweaver

Exactly. I have trouble swallowing the “Jokers as persecuted minority” notion because Jokers aren't so much dangerous they are disabled and disfigured.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #26
somecallmetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Exactly. I have trouble swallowing the “Jokers as persecuted minority” notion because Jokers aren't so much dangerous they are disabled and disfigured.
I have been working on a "mutant superhuman" setting and have been trying come up with plausible reasons for mutants to be feared and hated. My best attempt was makingthe mutating virus a communicable disease with a long latency (making the fear of invisible carriers a source of stress). It kills a majority of the victims and mutates the rest, and it is associated with "undesirables". (The game is set in an alternate 1980s, so this includes drug addicts, homosexuals, sex workers, etc). And just to put a thumb on the scale, a supervillain with control over a government black ops program is attempting to gin up fear of mutants to give him a freer hand in weaponizing or eliminating them as best suits his plans.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #27
Langy

Quote:
Pretty sure the way they're being treated is intended to be similar to people with leprosy.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #28
David Johnston2

Quote:
A minority doesn't have to be dangerous to be persecuted. Jokers can frequently offend one's senses and can easily inspire fears of contamination. That alone could cause persecution even if you ignore the fact that there are some jokers who are every bit as dangerous as Jack Flash, or Golden Boy while being incapable of leading a normal life. Just a few rampages from Jokers with the qualities of the Thing, The Lizard, Manbat or Atomic Skull would be enough to create grudges to be taken out on the relatively powerless ones. For that matter Croyd Crenson on a bad day wouldn't do wonders for the rep of jokers.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:32 AM   #29
sn0wball

Jokers are a constant reminder, that there is an alien virus abound, which can transform YOU into a hideous monster at any time, let alone right out kill you.

Also, one shouldn´t forget that the distinction between ace, deuce and joker is a arbitrary and social one, not a biological one. The prominent example is Peregrine, but also Rustbelt in more recent times.

I think the series does a pretty good job in explaining why things developed the way they are.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #30
Zarathustra

Quote:
You do realize that you live in a world in which people are feared and hated for the colour of their skin? It's worse for Jokers, because, as Xavier Desmond pointed out, all Jokers are unique. You can't do the equivalent of a "black is beautiful" type of movement due to Jokers all being a "race" of one.

Also, let's not forget the Card Sharks conspiracy. Those guys didn't help matters.
Zarathustra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers