Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Horrific Weakness [Basic]

In Basic, the rates of damage from Weaknesses are not quite horrific enough for the some of creatures in fiction. For example, vampires from VtM would suffer sufficient damage from sunlight that they burn to a crisp in less than a minute in direct sunlight. In order to reflect that level of damage, I suggest the following two modifications to Weakness.

1. Leveled damage: The damage of Weakness increases by 100% per level while the value increases by 50% per level (for example, a vampire could have Weakness (Sunlight; 3d per minute) [-120].

2. Accelerated damage: 1d per 12 seconds would have a base value of [-30] while 1d per two seconds would have a base value of [-40].

3. Combined damage: A vampire who took 3d damage every two seconds from sunlight would have a disadvantage worth -240 CP (and would take 90x as much damage from sunlight for only 4x the disadvantage value).

What do you think, would you use horrific weaknesses in your settings?
AlexanderHowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Horrific Weakness [Basic]

It looks very reasonable. Yeah, I would probably use it.
__________________
“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.”
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
awesomenessofme1
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Default Re: Horrific Weakness [Basic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In Basic, the rates of damage from Weaknesses are not quite horrific enough for the some of creatures in fiction. For example, vampires from VtM would suffer sufficient damage from sunlight that they burn to a crisp in less than a minute in direct sunlight. In order to reflect that level of damage, I suggest the following two modifications to Weakness.

1. Leveled damage: The damage of Weakness increases by 100% per level while the value increases by 50% per level (for example, a vampire could have Weakness (Sunlight; 3d per minute) [-120].

2. Accelerated damage: 1d per 12 seconds would have a base value of [-30] while 1d per two seconds would have a base value of [-40].

3. Combined damage: A vampire who took 3d damage every two seconds from sunlight would have a disadvantage worth -240 CP (and would take 90x as much damage from sunlight for only 4x the disadvantage value).

What do you think, would you use horrific weaknesses in your settings?
I've just used Reduced Time to reduce the amount of time between damage and Vulnerability to multiply the damage. Weakness (Sunlight, 1d/min, Reduced Time 6, +120%) [-132] causes 1d damage per second in sunlight.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Horrific Weakness [Basic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
1. Leveled damage: The damage of Weakness increases by 100% per level while the value increases by 50% per level (for example, a vampire could have Weakness (Sunlight; 3d per minute) [-120].
I'd just stack Vulnerability on top (so a vampire could take Weakness (Sunlight; 1d per Minute) [-60] and Vulnerability (Sunlight x3) [-60], which ends up with the same cost).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
2. Accelerated damage: 1d per 12 seconds would have a base value of [-30] while 1d per two seconds would have a base value of [-40].
My pentaphilia would insist on 1d per 10 seconds at -30 and 1d per second at -40.

Stack both for option 3.

I'd also be inclined to offer: "Die on a specifically defined condition outside your control in under a minute" for -100 points. Sure, death can be a motivator, but on the other hand, a sufficiently common suicide trick is a minor advantage.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Horrific Weakness [Basic]

Vulnerability explicitly multiplies damage from specific types of attacks, not from specific types of sources.
AlexanderHowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
Varyon
On Notice
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Horrific Weakness [Basic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Vulnerability explicitly multiplies damage from specific types of attacks, not from specific types of sources.
Seeing as Vulnerability (Silver) is legal, this can’t possibly be true. I feel Vulnerability is a pretty good match for increasing the effects of a Weakness (particularly as this means vampires suffer extra Injury from a “sunbolt” type attack (tight beam burning Innate attack, specifically typed as mimicking - or utilizing - sunlight)), but as the pricing appears to work out similarly, your version seems fairly valid as well.
__________________
GURPS Overhaul
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Horrific Weakness [Basic]

Silver can be a type of attack (it is a subset of Metal), but it can also be a source. Vulnerability (Silver) only multiplies damage by silver attacks, Weakness (Silver) causes damage by proximity to a silver source. They do not interact because Weakness is not an attack.
AlexanderHowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:25 PM   #8
Prince Charon
 
Prince Charon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: Horrific Weakness [Basic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Silver can be a type of attack (it is a subset of Metal), but it can also be a source. Vulnerability (Silver) only multiplies damage by silver attacks, Weakness (Silver) causes damage by proximity to a silver source. They do not interact because Weakness is not an attack.
That depends entirely on how the GM thinks it should work, though. I'd allow it, and it seems that you wouldn't.
__________________
Warning, I have the Distractible and Imaginative quirks in real life.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 1/01/2020: August, 2014 has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
Michele
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Udine, Italy
Default Re: Horrific Weakness [Basic]

I don't know. I find it difficult to assess whether the point values are appropriate for that level of kiss-of-death effect, or not. I tend to suspect that it might become too much of an instant effect, especially on beings that are famously hard to get rid of. And if the vampire is clever enough never to even remotely risk being exposed to his kryptonite? He gets a bucketful of points, becoming even more powerful all through the night.
__________________
Michele Armellini
GURPS Locations: St. George's Cathedral
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #10
Daigoro
 
Daigoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Meifumado
Default Re: Horrific Weakness [Basic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I don't know. I find it difficult to assess whether the point values are appropriate for that level of kiss-of-death effect, or not. I tend to suspect that it might become too much of an instant effect, especially on beings that are famously hard to get rid of. And if the vampire is clever enough never to even remotely risk being exposed to his kryptonite? He gets a bucketful of points, becoming even more powerful all through the night.
Indeed. To compare, Terminal Illness that kills you within a month is -100 pts, and is more likely to come into effect than a weakness to sunlight that a character would do everything they can to avoid.
__________________
World Wikis:
Cyberpunk: Duopoly Nation
Fantasy: Dominion Cross
Space Opera: Behind the King's Eclipse
Steampunk: Colonial Steam
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pentaphilia

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.