Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Banestorm Victims in Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I was thinking more Ultra-Tech, where you can get full body armor and guns that can make their own ammo, so the character would have to load up on survival gear.
It really depends on the TL, even for ultra-tech. A monocrys bodysuit or reflex tacsuit is as good as the knight's plate armor. A reflex bodysuit is pretty vulnerable to everything but piercing and cutting. If you're in the latter, I'd worry about getting grappled and stabbed to death.

Ice guns and partisan needlers are pretty lousy weapons by DF standards; 2d pi- x3 will barely take down an unarmored orc and will fail terribly against the undead and constructs. I'd really want a heavy laser pistol and a portable solar recharger, but while ultra-tech says that power cells are rechargeable, it doesn't have any game mechanics for doing so nor a portable solar recharger.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Unless this character had time to prepare, why would anyone carry weapon solar rechargers? Wouldn't a normal person just replace the batteries/capacitors and/or hook them up to their vehicle or local outlets?

Even a weird over-geared survivalist is unlikely to be carrying a heavy military style laser weapon, right?
I suppose you could posit they came from a world with DF style beasts roaming the lands, but boy is that guy a nut for wandering around alone to be banestormed.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #13
Bruno

I know a few people who carry solar chargers in various formats for their cellphones or laptops; some built into the tops of backpacks, some as separate deployable thingamies. They're not crazy survivalists, they're people who think extra batteries and/or stealing power from coffee shops is annoying/gauche, or are making an ecological statement.

If you're going hunting with a laser rifle, for like two weeks? I would bring a solar charger instead of pounds and pounds of power cells.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Okay, I concede. It isn't completely absurd, especially when talking about banestorms and DF.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
chandley

There are also chargers that work by sticking one end in a campfire (or other heat source) and filling another end with water. I have one in my car kit and one in my backpack, as a useful emergency phone charger.

Tight-beam burning isnt terrible in DF (pretty much x1 vs everything but diffuse, and has the option of a vitals shot). An Omni-Laser (a pulse-beam laser (+1 CF) with an electrolaser stun/lethal option (+1 CF roughly) gives you tight-beam burning, cr ex, electrical stun and electrical save or die. If that is rechargeable, well, you can go a long time on that. Make it Sig Gear though!

I would definitely go a rifle, even if it is just the survival laser. Acc 12 is unheard of in DF, and even without gunslinger will basically sell the package.

For TL 6-8, using the rules in After the End to reload modern cartridges with black powder could extend a banestorm victims ammo supply. DF doesnt _cannonically_ have blackpowder, but there have been articles effectively adding it without any real violence to the setting. Here, the WWII guy with a heavy rifle built to be used as a club, with the addition of a bayonet, is basically a Musketeer with better ROF. They will have to pick up DF armor at some point, but could probably make it through the first delve with a flak jacket and a helmet. Sig Gear on the rifle is still probably a good idea.

Neither the Demolisher nor the Musketeer have a UB, so 10 points for ROF 3 WWII guy, to 20 points for ROF 10 TL 8-10 guy, would be my gut instinct. Allow Gunslinger as a powerup for the character and let them rock out.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #16
warellis

Does Dungeon Fantasy have a setting of sorts that this person would be dropped in?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #17
Angle

Huh. Assuming they had no way to get modern tech, would high TL be a disadvantage here? Like if you had your dude be a random person who got dropped in without any particularly useful equipment?
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Does Dungeon Fantasy have a setting of sorts that this person would be dropped in?
Generic PseudoD&D Fantasy. No particular setting books.

If you really need a premade setting, any D&D settings will work perfectly.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #19
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
Huh. Assuming they had no way to get modern tech, would high TL be a disadvantage here? Like if you had your dude be a random person who got dropped in without any particularly useful equipment?
At 250 points the DF allows it is really not a "random person", specially as most social advantages are limited in DF. Further DF is about character optimization for dungeon delving, so the character would be something action oriented. So look more at something from action 1 or 3 or the monster hunter sidekicks than the common man on the street.

Actually some of the templates from Monster hunters sidekicks+35 points for high TL and 15 points more in advantages/attributes might make interesting DF characters as they already kind of do similar things by design so have some of the skills.

Tags
banestorm, dungeon fantasy, high tl