Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #5441
malloyd

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Indeed. I opted not to define what caused the shift, but my headcanon is that in each case one of the cavalrymen twisted and shifted reality by (very strongly) rejecting the current reality.
Personally I think I'd go with divine intervention. There is no shortage of gods that are fond of cavalry and respect heroism, something catching the attention of one of them for the first time since the bronze age can have this same effect without requiring any of the local humans to have the power to alter reality.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #5442
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
These effects were unprecedented - cavalry during the Great War certainly didn't function this way, nor did it prior to Krojanty (indeed, prior to that battle history was indistinguishable from Homeline).
Does the effect apply to camel cavalry? I could see arguments either way, but if it does, that will change warfare in North Africa and Arabia significantly.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #5443
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Personally I think I'd go with divine intervention. There is no shortage of gods that are fond of cavalry and respect heroism, something catching the attention of one of them for the first time since the bronze age can have this same effect without requiring any of the local humans to have the power to alter reality.
That can also work, although with the reality-warper it could be that such people are vanishingly rare and typically are, at best, a bit lucky. Such a person having the sort of willpower necessary to reject reality and getting into a situation extreme enough for them to do so may well be so incredibly low probability as to be comparable to someone fairly winning the Powerball 20 times in a row, using the same numbers on each ticket. Also, I assume the character completely burns out their reality-warping ability in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Does the effect apply to camel cavalry? I could see arguments either way, but if it does, that will change warfare in North Africa and Arabia significantly.
Perhaps it varies, so that in some wordlines it's only horses, in some only camels, in some both - or perhaps anything of the sort, including two people where one is getting a piggyback ride from another. I could see a worldline where it applies to camels and the point of divergence was during the Battle of Aqaba (and Lawrence may have gotten out of there unscathed, after his camel shrugged off the accidental shot to the head).
Old 03-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #5444
zarawesome

Ultra-3 is a base year 2021, TL8 civilization - but TL8 according to Third Edition rules. That means laser weapons, cyborg limbs, spaceships and cloning, but no Internet and no computer phones.

Computers are voice activated, but about 100 times slower than mainline computers, and 100 times more expensive. Long-distance travel is via maglev or airships.
zarawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #5445
Astromancer

Try this one...

Due to slightly changed geography (mainly the Guinea Highlands where the Niger River has its source are higher and have a slightly different orientation) two rivers flow from the Guinea Highlands. One west, the Niger, one north, the Lybian. The Lybian flows to the Mediterranian. Rome's Legions march south along the banks of the Lybian to the other side of the desert.

Basically, Romans in Africa. This can be played realistically (death by malaria or worse) or as a Sword and Sandal romantic epic with heroes and villains all around. Add some low-key magic (Path/Book) if you want more flavor. Dropping in Ancient Alien relics or an advanced Wakanda-like society if you like Sci-Fi. (The idea of a Scion of Mars fighting an ancient Black Panther would be KWEL!!!)

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:03 PM   #5446
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarawesome View Post
Ultra-3 is a base year 2021, TL8 civilization - but TL8 according to Third Edition rules. That means laser weapons, cyborg limbs, spaceships and cloning, but no Internet and no computer phones.

Computers are voice activated, but about 100 times slower than mainline computers, and 100 times more expensive. Long-distance travel is via maglev or airships.
Wondering if they are more advanced analog computers instead of digital.

Or perhaps, that design where computers are more like game consoles, because data is data and programs are programs, and data can't change programs. There is a fancy name for it which I forget.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:31 PM   #5447
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Wondering if they are more advanced analog computers instead of digital.

Or perhaps, that design where computers are more like game consoles, because data is data and programs are programs, and data can't change programs. There is a fancy name for it which I forget.
That is known as a Harvard Architecture, and more like a digital signal processor or some microcontrollers.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:28 AM   #5448
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this one...

Basically, Romans in Africa. This can be played realistically (death by malaria or worse) or as a Sword and Sandal romantic epic with heroes and villains all around. Add some low-key magic (Path/Book) if you want more flavor.
This is the Africa Tarzan lives in with ancient hidden Roman cities all through Africa.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #5449
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
This is the Africa Tarzan lives in with ancient hidden Roman cities all through Africa.
Yes, but it has Black Panther too. Instead of Lord Greystoke, how about Senator Villa Griseo?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #5450
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Yes, but it has Black Panther too. Instead of Lord Greystoke, how about Senator Villa Griseo?
Both and see if players figure it out.

Pulp is full of raised by animals jungle people. Tarzan is the one that made it a trope not counting Romulus and Remus.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited