Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Plane

Default converting Wait into a Move

This isn't legal, it's not one of the maneuvers allowed on B366. "if you spend some or most of a turn waiting, you're not using that time to move"

Since it is legal to transform a Wait into an All-Out Attack (which allows half Move in a forward direction) I was wondering if allowing Move maneuvers in a limited form (operating with MP like AOA does) would be balanced and make sense as a concept.

What if it was allowed but instead of getting full Movement Points as usual, you only get HALF the MP forward-only as in an All-Out Attack? The incentive being to retain full defence instead of making an attack.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
Gumby Bush

Default Re: converting Wait into a Move

Well, this would be close to Wait (AOD: Dodge--pick direction based on event waited for). Which also isn't RAW, but trading away the +2 to Dodge for being allowed to pick a direction of movement in response to some event seems fair. I wouldn't even restrict it to forward motion: it seems perfectly fair and realistic to say "I wait to see which way he goes around the pillar, then run the other way" or "I wait to see which door he goes through, then scamper through the other one."

I hadn't realized you can't Move with a Wait... that removes a lot of otherwise quite reasonable tactics. Allowing half-Move with Wait fixes that. I'd even permit half-Move and Attack, although Wait (two-step Committed Attack) is usually a better option if using MA (and I like to permit Committed Attack, Defensive Attack and the extra options for Feints and AOAs even when not bothering with other MA options).
Old 05-17-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
kdtipa

I think half-movement as the action for a Wait is reasonable and won't break anything.

I'm imagining the scenario where a person is watching down a hallway for when foes round the corner, and they need to run away when they see the foes (maybe to get close enough to friends to shout the warning "here they come!" or whatever). It seems reasonable to use a wait that way.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
GWJ

Personally, I think every maneuver (beside Concentration maybe) should have some "after-Wait version".
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
Black Leviathan

I think the counter to Wait-Move action would be why does a character who does a wait manuver where they spend a chunk of their turn motionless move as far as someone who just sprints full-out? Half-move gives you enough motion to reach hard cover if something comes at you or to start a get-away from them.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I think the counter to Wait-Move action would be why does a character who does a wait manuver where they spend a chunk of their turn motionless move as far as someone who just sprints full-out?.
Why are you presuming they are spending "half their turn motionless"? They aren't. They are reacting as soon as whatever triggers the Wait occurs* and as turns are mostly simultaneous, that means as soon as they decide to Wait.

I don't penalize any Maneuver following a Wait.

Or rather, the only penalty to a Wait is that it might not go off. I've toyed with the idea that an untriggered Wait might even transition into an Evaluate, Aim, or Concentrate if appropriate, just to see Waits taken more often.

* Or not even reacting at all.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
move, wait