Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2016, 12:48 AM   #1
Adronio

Default Realistic house-rules

Hey Gurps-fans, first time posting here so ill make this quick.

I was thinking about realism in gurps and wondered if you guys had any house-rules or alternate gurps rules you use and/or like.

I'll start off with mine:

Survivable guns from pyramid 3/44. Halving the damage but doubling the penetration.

Increasing the chance of randomly hitting the vitals on a torso hit from a 1 on a 1d6 to 1 and 2 on a 1d6, because vital organs take up alot of space, yo.

Note: Sorry for any potential grammar errors, English isn't my native language.
Adronio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:42 AM   #2
Tomsdad

Default Re: Realistic house-rules

Nice.

I'm not normally a fan of the half damage* dbl pen thing, but actually tie it with 2x the chance of a vitals hit and I quite like that!

Will up the randomness of gun fights, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
aesir23

You might be interested in this old thread of mine.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
You might be interested in this old thread of mine.
My problems with your "vital organs table" is that you can hit several organs in one go, and your table does not reflect that. I think just using "vitals" is actually a better way to model that.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Cheomesh

Generally speaking, every GURPS House rule post on my blog is made with an eye to realism. Here's everything with both GURPS and Houserule in the label: http://chainlinkandconcrete.blogspot...bel:houserules

M.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I love wounding systems for gurps. I find this version to be the easiest to reference and the best thought out. While you're on that site, you may as well look at everything else the guy has. Animalia is considered particuarly useful, though its not really a realism house rule.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
Adronio

Hello everyone, nice to see all the replies.

I'm just going to explain why I chose to use these alternate/homebrewed rules.

First off, the lungs and heart alone take up alot of the upper part of the torso, these two organs alone is more then 1/6 of the torso, and getting shot in the upper part of torso is pretty much a death sentence if you are using any respectable caliber. However even a rifle bullet doesn't do alot of tissue damage, and most of the energi of the bullet is going to leave the body with the rest of the bullet itself, especially with high-powered rifle bullets. This means that if f you get shot somewhere non-vital, even with one of the most powerful handheld infantry weapons (excluding .50 cal) you will probably be fine. Even a lung shot is survivable, even though extremely dangerous. Of course, if you don't get medical attention you'll probably die from infection, but that's another matter entirely.

Hope that wasn't to much of a wall of text.
Adronio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #8
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adronio View Post
Hello everyone, nice to see all the replies.

I'm just going to explain why I chose to use these alternate/homebrewed rules.

First off, the lungs and heart alone take up alot of the upper part of the torso, these two organs alone is more then 1/6 of the torso, and getting shot in the upper part of torso is pretty much a death sentence if you are using any respectable caliber. However even a rifle bullet doesn't do alot of tissue damage, and most of the energi of the bullet is going to leave the body with the rest of the bullet itself, especially with high-powered rifle bullets. This means that if f you get shot somewhere non-vital, even with one of the most powerful handheld infantry weapons (excluding .50 cal) you will probably be fine. Even a lung shot is survivable, even though extremely dangerous. Of course, if you don't get medical attention you'll probably die from infection, but that's another matter entirely.

Hope that wasn't to much of a wall of text.
Don't forget bleeding out will also be a problem if the hole's big enough, even if the hole isn't somewhere critical.

But then the over penetration rules will give you that even with the half damage tweak.

a 12.7mm is normally 6dx2 pi+ so (6d pi+ with the tweak)

the initial damage might be capped by over penetration, but an average wound will still bleed as if it was 31 points, so -6

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-10-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #9
exdeath

I am thinking about testing those alternate rules:

Every time you receive damage or someone tries to heal you, you must update your time to die that will continue the same unless you roll a smaller number.
Checking if you will die is only made when time ends, if you survive you wont have more death checks until something damage you.
Amount of time until you check if you will die or not is:
( (3d6 * (HP/ damage)) * 200) +1 minutes

The roll you must do to see if you wont die is:
(hp / damage) *10

When you receive damage:
If the weapon damage before multiplier is not higher than DR (PS: DR after armor divisor do its job) the actual, damage is:
(weapon damage / 1.3) rounded down

If the weapon damage (before multiplier) is higher than DR (PS: DR after armor divisor do its job) but [weapon damage (before multiplier) - dr (PS: DR after armor divisor do its job) ] is less than dr (PS: DR after armor divisor do its job) , damage is:
Actual damage done to the thing divided by 1.5

Shock Rules
Every time you receive a damage check to see if you will enter shock and stop fighting:
(HP / (current received damage + (damage before the hit divided by 15)))

With the previous dice roll check if you will enter shock and pass out:

(HP / (current received damage + (damage before the hit divided by 1.25))) * 12

Last edited by exdeath; 06-09-2016 at 06:37 PM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheomesh View Post
Generally speaking, every GURPS House rule post on my blog is made with an eye to realism. Here's everything with both GURPS and Houserule in the label: http://chainlinkandconcrete.blogspot...bel:houserules

M.
I like some of these, although they are a bit finicky. One note, on the PASGT, is that the v50 standard was about 2d fragment. That's a 7 average roll, by the numbers. I dropped the DR just a bit because 7 was a little higher, give that it's not designed to stop damage at the higher caliber pistol level. YMMV.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4th, realism