Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2015, 11:57 PM   #11
Koningkrush

Default Re: Broad jumps compared to world record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Meaning that Move 1 = a -1 foot jump.
Well, if you had Basic Move 1 (which means your running speed is slower than a typical walking speed) then I would say you're incapable of jumping any distance off the ground whatsoever.

The closest I've got is changing the -3 to a -5, but that means someone with Basic Move 5 can only long jump 10 feet. I don't know if that's realistic or not because I can't find any statistics on "average" jumpers.

Personally, in my games, I limit everyone's main attributes to a maximum of 14. If they want specific things to be extreme like their basic move, skills, talent, etc., then they need to specifically buy those things, not inflate their attributes. This also makes basic move have a maximum of 10 in my games since 14 Dexterity and Health gives 7 BM and you cannot buy basic move more than +3 without alien features.

Last edited by Koningkrush; 07-23-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Koningkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:14 AM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

When I was a kid, I could standing broad jump over 6 feet. So I doubt a running jump by any adult should come anywhere near that low of a distance.

And average human does not in any way correlate to Gurps 10 stat defaults.
Though I do remember some studies of athletic men standing high jumps. The norm was raising center of balance by 22 inches. Of course we can lift our long legs to clear obstacles taller than that.

Tall people will jump with their bodies over the line, and land pivoting over their feet increasing point to point distance by a few feet more than the raw center of balance to center of balance would suggest.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:56 AM   #13
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
In real life, being well trained in a physical feat is only a small amount of it. It mostly all comes from how fast and powerful your body is, not how good your form is. I couldn't spend my entire life practicing form and studying textbooks on body mechanics just to jump out of my chair and break the world record without any physical ability. It pretty much comes down to two things.

-Basic move/strength/etc. (including sprinting/extra effort/whatever) should be able to bring you to a maximum of around 80% of a world record.
-Proper training and mastery with body mechanics should fill in the rest of the 20% to bring you up to the best a person could possibly manage.
Except that different activities require different strength and flexibility. There was a BBC story with a group photo of Olympians from different sports in swimsuits which shows how different a "fast and powerful" body for different sports is. And someone with the right muscles who has not practiced coordinating their muscles and tendons for a particular activity will not be able to apply their strength effectively. Skill can represent both of these, although it might also unlock perks similar to Strongbow for a particular feat.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:04 AM   #14
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
You have to calculate standing jump distance first, then double it at the end. Basic move 5 gives 14 feet, not 17. (5*2)-3 = 7. Maximum running long jump is then 14.
No, you are taking the -3 twice in your example for running jump.

Standing broadjump is (5*2)-3 = 7

Running is ((5+5)*2)-3 = 17
Old 07-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

No, running can no more than double standing broad jumps.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:47 AM   #16
weby

Quote:
No, running can no more than double standing broad jumps.
Yeah, my bad as it first says to add the value into the formula.. and then after that limits it..

So all my examples above would be -3 feet, but still the move 9 person would beat mens world record without any training or extra effort at all. The move 8 would beat Women's record.

But still one would expect people to use extra effort in a world class competition and the world records to be the effect of someone trying really hard extra effort and succeeding(one of those "yey I rolled a 5" things).
Old 07-23-2015, 01:51 AM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Move 9 is 21.6 sprint without Extra Effort. Do Olympic long jumpers run anywhere near that fast?

Edit: 21.6 mph sprint.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 07-23-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:03 AM   #18
Celjabba

Jumping champion are often also running champion. Carl Lewis for example.
And I think that if you assume a maximum of move 8 , you get more or less believeable result for human running and jumping.
Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:20 AM   #19
weby

Quote:
Move 9 is 21.6 sprint without Extra Effort. Do Olympic long jumpers run anywhere near that fast?
21.6 sprint? you mean 10.8 sprint right?

Many of the olympic long jumpers are also sprinters because many of the traits like the explosive speed are very similar in training/body requirement, the fastest sprinters run at that speed, but as said, people likely do extra effort in such situations.

Note that the average adventurer type character could easily get move 9.. as speed 6 is not that uncommon at even fairly low build points as DX and HT are both attributes a lot of adventurers want t raise... and adding B17 "For normal humans, training or a sleek build can justify up to 3 yards/second of increased Basic Move" at only +15 points..

So your average low/medium point adventurer with 15 points extra spent move would be world class jumper..

And if you were silly you could build a character that wins world records at a total point cost that is negative.. (Average stats, +1 speed +3 move=9.. for a total of 35 points that could be offset by disadvantages like "OPH gloats to everyone how fast he is at running and how far he jumps and such silly things to compensate the 35 points.. )
Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #20
ArchonShiva

I use Move x 16" for long jump (halve with neither a running start or skill roll, double with both) and Move x 4" for a high jump. I've yet to find a situation where it's inferior to the weird-as-hell RAW. You can still use half Jumping skill.

It gives the world record jumper Move 11 (or Jumping-22), and Usain Bolt a 32 feet maximum distance, which is pretty tolerable if jumping is going to be based off Move.

It also gives they Move guy 1 1.5 feet, which is certainly better than jumping backwards.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rule, jumping, realism