Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 11-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Weirdness Magnet in Transhuman Space

Greetings, all!

I know, I know, Weirdness Magnet is normally not meant for realistic games. But given that Transhuman Space is a setting that is (in)famous both for its weird stuff and for its 'things are so mundane I do not know what to do with it', maybe a coincidence-based, not-out-right-supernatural, incredible-but-possible version of Weirdness Magnet might be at home in it. In fact, sometimes I get the feeling that someone took WM in the campaign I play in.

What would you deem as appropriate events for such a version of Weirdness Magnet in Transhuman Space?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Weirdness Magnet in Transhuman Space

Malware. Lots of malware, doing weird things.

Misdirected e-mail, and other connection and identity management failures. Your network profiles get swapped with other people's, resulting in your receiving incredibly strange and disturbing advertising.

If you come into contact with strange forms of biological or web life, you somehow become known as a friend of that "species," which attracts prejudice, as well as occasional help.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
ClayDowling

In a non THS game I ran, a character had weirdness magnet. I ran it with odd coincidences. The best one was a small white dog that, for no reason that was ever realed, started following her everywhere. She wouldn't remember letting it in the car, but when she got where she was going, it hopped out. If she went into a bar to find somebody, the dog was waiting outside, making friends with the bouncer. Honestly, the player was never certain that the dog wasn't a hallucination.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Anthony

Weirdness magnet is only unrealistic because it causes weird things to consistently happen to the same person, not because weird stuff doesn't happen. I had a friend who had such experiences as having a quarter million dollars appear in his bank account because someone thought he was dead and was using the account for money laundering on real estates schemes.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Weirdness magnet is only unrealistic because it causes weird things to consistently happen to the same person, not because weird stuff doesn't happen. I had a friend who had such experiences as having a quarter million dollars appear in his bank account because someone thought he was dead and was using the account for money laundering on real estates schemes.
Nor am I 100% sure that there aren't people who approximate weirdness magnet status in real life. Maybe they're simply outliers on the bell curve of probability (out of 7 billion people, a few can be expected to have weird stuff happen to them over and over by chance) or maybe not, but some people do seem to resemble the state described by the trait.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Fall out of a two story window, land in a sticker bush. Suffer no injuries, not even a scratch. That was weird.
Get bitten by lady bugs and bees regularly without ever being stung in my life by a bee. Also weird.
Walk down a hallway alone in a house in my underwear and hear a quarter drop right in front of me from who knows where.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Renegade uplifts of species no would ever think of trying to uplift.
Toaster with A.I. that only talks when you are alone.
Not obviously drunk or mentally ill homeless people give you money.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Walk down a hallway alone in a house in my underwear and hear a quarter drop right in front of me from who knows where.
Do you ever sleep in your clothes? Mysterious coin drops happen to me sometimes when I sleep in my clothes and get coins from my pockets stuck to my body somewhere.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Do you ever sleep in your clothes? Mysterious coin drops happen to me sometimes when I sleep in my clothes and get coins from my pockets stuck to my body somewhere.
I never said it was magical, just weird. I didn't feel it though, or its sudden absence. And it also sounded like it was thrown while I was merely walking.
I never sleep in pants.
No matter what actually happened, it was due to a very unlikely event, hence weird.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
By 'clothes' I take it you mean your necro-pants, and by 'pockets' I take it you mean the magic dead-guy-scrotum.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
realism, weirdness magnet