Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #41
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: How to go about making an Ultra Tech Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Yes, that would certainly be contorted.

If that's supposed to be a reference to US gun regulation, note that privately raised armies are only 'okay' to the sense of freedom of association. Any army-like way of using those rifles is very not okay.
Nah, USA does allow private citizens pistols, at least in some places.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #42
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Also true. I was just trying to guess where that example was coming from. And apparently failing.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #43
Bruno

Quote:
Yes, that would certainly be contorted.

If that's supposed to be a reference to US gun regulation, note that privately raised armies are only 'okay' to the sense of freedom of association. Any army-like way of using those rifles is very not okay.
Hardly. Blackwater is a US company, after all. They just can't be an army on US soil (a pretty major distinction, I grant you).

Quote:
Honestly reminds me more of the situation in Canada, but ISTR our legislation doesn't allow mercenaries.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #44
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Also true. I was just trying to guess where that example was coming from. And apparently failing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Hardly. Blackwater is a US company, after all. They just can't be an army on US soil (a pretty major distinction, I grant you).

Honestly reminds me more of the situation in Canada, but ISTR our legislation doesn't allow mercenaries.
Was actually talking about modern Ukraine, particularly as of the last 1½ years.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #45
El Ravager31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
TL12^ Quantum Archery

As with other implicate order interface (IOI) sports, the implanted web aligns the neuro-somatic system directly with the unified field. The 'bow' manifests a section of reality with a defined resiliency. The 'string' is an intercostal membrane joining the bow arc whose length is defined by the conviction the user can apply in the pseudo-dimension (defined by (Willx2+ST)/2). Aiming is an entirely neuro-somatic operation, so remains based on DX.

'Arrows' are extracted from a carried supplied of plasmatter, and remain in an undefined eisen-state twinned to the user's implant web. Their exact capabilities emerge momentarily after launch based on a quick contest with the target's probability defenses, if any.

Edit: Is it weird that I expect pretty much everybody here will be able to make some kind of sense out of that babble?
I like the fact that the arrow's capability only becomes apparent after the contest with probability defense. It makes me think of The Spaceship Heart of Gold's improbability drive.

The arrow just turned that guy into a penguin "at a probability factor of 3 million to 1 against and falling." Sorry, but I love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Seriously though, that is a really cool concept! Think if the shooter had unlucky and was firing one of these arrows (or if the target had unlucky for that matter)... You would never know what might happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Is the bow for "RUle of Cool" or "Realism?"
Actually, the characters are recreations of older edition GURPS characters that my friends had. Several of us (myself included) had moved away for a while, but we are all back for one reason or another. When I mentioned wanting to run a campaign, everyone thought it would be cool to update the "old gang."

That brings us to Luke Deerborne (the character using the bow). The player always envisioned him as a bow hunter and designed him to be a great shot. Add to this the fact that he managed a few well timed critical hits throughout his career, and his bow became known as deadlier than any pistol.

So, to answer the question... It was originally chosen because of the cool factor, but it has since became the character's calling card almost. He does have the Guns skill (pistol), but it is quite a bit lower than his bow skill. I think its like a Bow 21 vs Guns 15 if I can remember correctly.

ETA: As I think about it, there may even be a bigger gap than that. I don't have a copy of his sheet handy.
El Ravager31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #46
Otaku

Quote:
Was actually talking about modern Ukraine, particularly as of the last 1½ years.
I didn't even think an example was necessary (though it is appreciated); it shouldn't be any great stretch of the imagination that those with power would find ways for the rules to apply to everyone else. Only a hopeful stretch that some would resist the tyranny as best as they could.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #47
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm just glad my home state of Oregon doesn't allow bounty hunters. They're pretty much mercenaries not bound by laws that citizens or even cops are technically required to obey.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #48
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I didn't even think an example was necessary (though it is appreciated); it shouldn't be any great stretch of the imagination that those with power would find ways for the rules to apply to everyone else. Only a hopeful stretch that some would resist the tyranny as best as they could.
But that's not what the case is. It specifies that people with pistols are not okay even if they are in a private army. Or if you're referring back to Malloyd's prior version, the private armies were using bows because the rules did apply to them, they just didn't forbid them from being an army. There's nothing there about the rules not applying to people in power either way.

Having somebody enforcing weapon restrictions while not holding any sort of monopoly of force position is pretty weird. I wonder how that works.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #49
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm just glad my home state of Oregon doesn't allow bounty hunters. They're pretty much mercenaries not bound by laws that citizens or even cops are technically required to obey.
Bounty hunters are required to obey the same laws as everybody else. The stuff people do tend to think of as special powers actually aren't all that broad, and anybody else who stood surety on somebody else's bail bond has the same rights. In a sense letting somebody post your bond is a mild form of selling yourself into slavery. Or appointing that person your legal guardian if you want a nicer analogy - it really doesn't permit much a parent couldn't do to a child.

Mind you many prosecutors tend to exercise discretion and not pursue violations too vigorously, but that's a somewhat different issue.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #50
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I'm not sure if you understood the example. Private armies aren't inherently bad. In fact, they served quite well most of the time in order to protect against invasion. (Though it's not like they don't have dark incidents too . . . as do cops and militaries of the non-private sort too!)
My point is that they are much more 'okay' by both the government and the society than e.g. private civilians owning pistols (though there's also a restriction on rifle types for individual non-organised civilians).

Tags
bow, ultra-tech