Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Help creating an ability; Wild Talent for advantages?

Hello, all.

I am trying to build an ability which I feel is close to Wild Talent for a character named Gunmetal Grey. He has an ability to pull at the soulspirits of things around him in various ways. He could pull at the air to be able to solidify it under his feet so he could walk on it, he could pull at the small amount of water in a glass to bring it to his mouth for drinking, and he can also do exceptional things with objects that he's close to. His sword grants him an Innate Attack, his bracelet increases his Will. However, if he gets close to objects throughout play, he should be able to pick up on these abilities pretty fast. This doesn't happen a lot. It has to be an object that you really, really, really love. However, he wouldn't necessarily have to spend a lot of time with it to bond with it. His bracelet was given to him by a stranger in passing out of random kindness, and he immediately had a bond with it because it reminded him that he is not alone in the world.

If you're familiar with Bleach, it's pretty similar to the idea of Fullbring.

To me, it feels like a warped version of Wild Talent. Maybe that's what it is. He can put 1 put into an ability, but he can use it until he has totally paid it off or something or has a certain level if it's leveled? I dunno. Obviously, each will have Gadget modifiers, and I'm thinking about making them each AAs. But then... What about the general application that I mentioned above? Just a couple more AAs of Walk on Air, Control (Liquid), or...? I dunno. I feel like I could also go the Modular Abilities route too.

What seems like the best approach to this? I appreciate all help. This is VERY important to me.

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Help creating an ability; Wild Talent for advantages?

Wild Ability pg. 90 of Powers

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Wild Ability pg. 90 of Powers
How did I miss that? Ugh... Well, that's one half of the equation solved. Thank you! Haha. You're always catching my mistakes.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
How did I miss that? Ugh... Well, that's one half of the equation solved. Thank you! Haha. You're always catching my mistakes.
It's not a mistake if you don't know, just ignorance - though both can be remedied easily enough. :-)

FWIW I would write up Fullbring with Modular Abilities - not Wild Talent - though it has been a while since I watched Bleach.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

To answer your question literally: Wild Ability from GURPS Powers, pg 90. However that doesn't do what you want it to be doing unless they can only do it so many times per game session; which doesn't appear to be the case. I'd suggest Cosmic Power (Physical Only, +50%; Reduced Time 1 or Reflexive, +20% or +40%; Focus-Limited, Highly Versatile, -5%; Trait-Limited, Broad Class, -20%) -- this would allow them to change the active trait as either a free action or a reflexive free action depending on which enhancement you prefer. From what I remember of that arc, I'd suggest against Reflexive as they didn't seem to reactively alter their moveset on someone else's "turn".
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
It's not a mistake if you don't know, just ignorance - though both can be remedied easily enough. :-)

FWIW I would write up Fullbring with Modular Abilities - not Wild Talent - though it has been a while since I watched Bleach.
I was thinking Modular Abilities too. But the Wild Talent/Ability would be his specific Fullbring. He's more of a jack of all trades than someone with a specific power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
To answer your question literally: Wild Ability from GURPS Powers, pg 90. However that doesn't do what you want it to be doing unless they can only do it so many times per game session; which doesn't appear to be the case. I'd suggest Cosmic Power (Physical Only, +50%; Reduced Time 1 or Reflexive, +20% or +40%; Focus-Limited, Highly Versatile, -5%; Trait-Limited, Broad Class, -20%) -- this would allow them to change the active trait as either a free action or a reflexive free action depending on which enhancement you prefer. From what I remember of that arc, I'd suggest against Reflexive as they didn't seem to reactively alter their moveset on someone else's "turn".
Thank you so much. That puts together the second part of my equation. Now I just have to find a way to make it affordable...

How do I fit this into a 200-point campaign? (Plus 75 in disadvantages.) I'm not above some heavy limitations.

Tags
advantages, alternate abilities, modular abilities, power, wild talent