Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Case

Default Character Sheet for Starters

Hi all,

I guess you have seen dozens of character sheets before and this one may be just another one in the vast plethora of endless papers.

Nevertheless, I've created this one with some things in mind and perhaps it could be of any use for you. Coming from other RPG systems, my group consists of experienced gamers, but likes to forget a lot between the game sessions.

Key Features:
  • Printer friendly - lightweight black and white.
  • Uses meter and kilogram.
  • Covers stats, weapons, equipment, notes and magic on four pages.
  • Contains illustrative texts for abbreviations, calculations and rules.
  • Includes space for GURPS Horror sanity usage.

This is currently work in progress (version 0.5) and I appreciate any comments or feature requests. I could also provide a version with yards/feets/lbs. if desired.

GURPS Starter Character Sheet 0.5

Version 1.0

Update in Post #9.

Last edited by Case; 05-14-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: File Update
Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Character Sheet for Starters

You won't have place for all the Advantages and Disadvantages in that space. And probably not the skills either. I'd make that space skills (etc.) most often used), and devote a separate paper to skills etc.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Aneirin

I like the second page, haven't seen enough sheets that allow armour for each individual location. I would prefer imperial...I mean I like metric better, but GURPs uses imperial so it would avoid having to change it.

Noticed a little error on the dodge, stating it is DX modified by encumberance, instead of basic speed +3 modified by encumberance.

Only real criticism is the advantages and disadvantages boxes may be too small. it also seems to be split (for some odd reason it appears on page 1 and page 3, same as skills, though the skills on page 1 is big enough for me)

Maybe you could make the notes and campaign log smaller (or remove them altogether) on page 4 and have a bigger advantages/disadvantages/perks and quirks box (maybe seperating advtanges and disadvantages), and for the first page replace the skills section on page 3 with a techniques section instead. And make page 3 page 2 so it naturally leads on.
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
ClayDowling

I like the sheet pretty well. The advantages section would be fine for lower point value games. Most of my 150pt characters, especially modern characters, don't use that many advantages and disadvantages.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Case

Thanks for the input so far.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Maz

I really like it, nice level of details and looks simple and easy to find your way around.

But as others have said, there aren't enough space for skills and ads/disads.
Personally I prefer sheets to be designed by how the sheets are used in the game, rather than how you build a character.

So I prefer a page 1 to be "everything I need for normal play". This included stats, skills ads and disads.
Page 2 to be a "combat page" and should include pretty much everything I might need for combat.
Page 3 is then an "equipment sheet" because that always ends up being a lot, and can then include money, wealth-level, job income and skills and so on.

Yours have some of that. But have combat info spread out on page 1 an two. If I need to know my dodge for instance, or HP or HT I need to find page 1. While I need page 2 for all attacks and armour.
I would move all combat-relevant to page 2, giving space for Skills and ads/disads on page 1.
To make room on page 2, reduce the amount of weapons. It is extremely unlikely you are going to run around with 10+ range weapons, and if you do, you aren't going to use them all all the time. So maybe cut it down to 4-5 or so. The same for melee.

A nice feature would be to include the random hitlocation table in the armour-section so if rolling randomly you know that a 12 means left arm for instance.

In general I have also found it to be worthwhile to customise sheets based on what type of game your playing. No need for "gun info" on a sheet used for a DF game for instance. I made one like that for DF: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8527082/DF%...ar%20Sheet.pdf
could use a brush up.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I made one like that for DF: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8527082/DF%...ar%20Sheet.pdf
could use a brush up.
Cool! :)

I really like sheets with a graphical reprentation of the hit locations, also the structure is good IMHO...

To further improve it I'd recommend the same thing as I said to Case: You should replace the Hit Location "11 Groin" with "11 Abdomen", generally the better way if you ask me...
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
Case

I've adjusted the sheet according to the feedback. It's not by any means a perfect solution, but I've tried to keep the focus on GURPS starters.

PDF-Versions:
GURPS Starter Character Sheet v1.0 Imperial
GURPS Starter Character Sheet v1.0 Metric

Source files in Libre Office format:
GURPS Starter Character Sheet v1.0 Imperial
GURPS Starter Character Sheet v1.0 Metric
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case View Post
This is currently work in progress (version 0.5) and I appreciate any comments or feature requests. I could also provide a version with yards/feets/lbs. if desired.
Nice work :)

One thing I noticed is the armor/hit location table: Personally I'd recommend replacing Groin with Abdomen, like it is done in Low Tech etc.
IMHO it's generally better and especially for Horror, except you want to play Comedy-Horror with lots of kicking in the nuts ;)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character sheets, excel, game aids