Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Bow ST for range and damage clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOwen View Post
How does one determine the cost of a longbow with a rated ST greater than 11?
It's unchanged. This is a simplifying assumption, like the assumption that a suit of armor costs the same whether it's made for an ST 9 adolescent or an ST 18 epic hero.

Beyond that specific point, what Fred says about bows is entirely accurate.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #12
AlexanderHowl

It is possible in high CP campaigns for characters to use truly impressive bows. For example, a character with ST 20, Bow at DX+2 or higher, and Strongbow could use a ST 22 composite bow (dealing 2d+3 impaling damage and having a range of 440/550). A ST 10 character with Bow at DX+2 and Strongbow using the same bow would have a -10 to skill, pay an extra 10 FP per combat, but they would deal the same damage.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
AllenOwen

OK Now I get it. The wording just seemed a little obtuse to me. Well, it is not obtuse wording as much as it is me overthinking it. Thank you!
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Damage is determined by the bows rated ST, not the characters ST.
Given that represents doing a full draw (ie a lower-ST character, at a skill penalty, shoots with the thrust of a higher-ST penalty) what do you think of partial-draw shows though?

A strong guy might for example, want to just pull his longbow less than fully-taut, to do a lower-speed lower-penetration shot on some foe. Maybe to conserve energy?

Or maybe a weak guy doesn't want to struggle (take skill and FP penalties) by forcing themself to go full-draw for max damage, and would be content with drawing it to 80% stretch?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #15
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Given that represents doing a full draw (ie a lower-ST character, at a skill penalty, shoots with the thrust of a higher-ST penalty) what do you think of partial-draw shows though?

A strong guy might for example, want to just pull his longbow less than fully-taut, to do a lower-speed lower-penetration shot on some foe. Maybe to conserve energy?

Or maybe a weak guy doesn't want to struggle (take skill and FP penalties) by forcing themself to go full-draw for max damage, and would be content with drawing it to 80% stretch?
I don't see any rules for that anywhere, and I know I read something similar for melee weapons.

I would allow it.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #16
seycyrus

Quote:
Damage is determined by the bows rated ST, not the characters ST.
Nah, this doesn't pass the reality test.

An average desk jockey shooting a 170 lb warbow isn't going to get anywhere near the range, power and/or penetration that someone that can pull the bow back to full, can achieve.

Now a crossbow would be a different matter.
seycyrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
I don't see any rules for that anywhere, and I know I read something similar for melee weapons.

I would allow it.
Trouble with a partial draw is it really messes with your aim as its not consistent.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:51 PM   #18
AllenOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
Nah, this doesn't pass the reality test.

An average desk jockey shooting a 170 lb warbow isn't going to get anywhere near the range, power and/or penetration that someone that can pull the bow back to full, can achieve.

Now a crossbow would be a different matter.
The rules say otherwise. Also, the average desk jockey trying to shoot a 170 lb warbow will suffer from severe penalties both in skill and in FP loss.

170 lb warbow is probably Rated ST 16. Average desk jockey ST 10. So -6 to skill and +6 FP loss on using it.
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:53 PM   #19
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Works great as a cinematic option, but realistically I believe bows are designed to work at full draw; using a bow at less than full draw is probably going to reduce velocity (and thus damage and range) more than using a weaker bow that requires the same amount of effort to do full draw as the normal bow does for the partial draw. That is, using the stronger bow at a lower effective ST is less efficient. Offhand, I'd say either multiplying the ST reduction by 1.5 or 2 would work - using an ST 12 bow with effective ST 10 actually does damage as per ST 9 (12-2*1.5) or ST 8 (12-2*2). There may be accuracy effects as well, but I suspect it's more like a skill penalty for using the bow in a manner you aren't used to than an actual reduction in Acc; treat it as a Familiarity.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #20
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Works great as a cinematic option, but realistically I believe bows are designed to work at full draw; using a bow at less than full draw is probably going to reduce velocity (and thus damage and range) more than using a weaker bow that requires the same amount of effort to do full draw as the normal bow does for the partial draw. That is, using the stronger bow at a lower effective ST is less efficient. Offhand, I'd say either multiplying the ST reduction by 1.5 or 2 would work - using an ST 12 bow with effective ST 10 actually does damage as per ST 9 (12-2*1.5) or ST 8 (12-2*2). There may be accuracy effects as well, but I suspect it's more like a skill penalty for using the bow in a manner you aren't used to than an actual reduction in Acc; treat it as a Familiarity.
All of that but also your probably not going to have the consistent anchor point which makes your accuracy inconsistent. Normally you shoot with your draw hand at the same spot on your face every time. Some below the chin, others in the nook of it but each archer should be consistent.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote