Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
dntimm

Default Question: RPM and any actual plays using it?

I was wondering if there were any actual plays anyone knows of using RPM? I wanted to see how it actually worked out? I have time to listen to podcasts, and so was seeing if there were any out there.

Thanks
-D
dntimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Question: RPM and any actual plays using it?

I have used it exactly once, in a Monster Hunters one-shot with all new players. I wound up making up some charms for the witch to start out with, which allowed the player in question to play her character, though it wasn't really getting the most out of the system. Honestly the system could really benefit from a grimoire of basic rituals—existing books skew towards showing off the more complicated things you can do with the system, which is useful in its way but the effects tend to be too expensive to cast in most adventuring situations.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntimm View Post
I was wondering if there were any actual plays anyone knows of using RPM? I wanted to see how it actually worked out? I have time to listen to podcasts, and so was seeing if there were any out there.
My blog is full of actual play reports using RPM as well as lots of posts on RPM itself.

Is there something you're looking for in particular?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:02 AM   #4
Taneli

Do you mean simple spells like this:

Ignite Fire
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Energy
Inherent Modifiers: Subject Weight, Range
Greater Effects: 0 (x1)

This spell lets you ignite a small fire like with matches, fire starter, or a lighter.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Energy (6) + Subject Weight: 10 lbs (0) + Range: 0 Yds (0) 6 energy (6x1).
Taneli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I don't know of any, although I have not looked. There would be a problem in that any RPM user who is designing rituals in-play is almost certainly doing it on paper or a computer, because the calculations aren't verbally interesting, and talking through them is fairly slow. Audio alone won't capture that.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Do you mean simple spells like this:

Ignite Fire
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Energy
Inherent Modifiers: Subject Weight, Range
Greater Effects: 0 (x1)

This spell lets you ignite a small fire like with matches, fire starter, or a lighter.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Energy (6) + Subject Weight: 10 lbs (0) + Range: 0 Yds (0) 6 energy (6x1).
That might be a bit too minor. Examples of what I have in mind from GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic include Cure Disease, Detect Secret Doors, Diagnose, Fireball, Light, Lockpick, Minor Healing, Seek Person, Terrify, Weaken Blood. These are all spells that are useful in common adventuring situations and involve just a single effect. In my ideal world, we'd get a grimoire that has a lesser example and a greater example of each path/effect combination. Which sounds pretty basic but would give us over a hundred spells.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
That might be a bit too minor. Examples of what I have in mind from GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic include Cure Disease, Detect Secret Doors, Diagnose, Fireball, Light, Lockpick, Minor Healing, Seek Person, Terrify, Weaken Blood. These are all spells that are useful in common adventuring situations and involve just a single effect. In my ideal world, we'd get a grimoire that has a lesser example and a greater example of each path/effect combination. Which sounds pretty basic but would give us over a hundred spells.
That would be nice, indeed. Maybe if RPM books sell well enough TBTB will nicely ask Christopher to write one? ;)

Also, are you aware of the GURPS Magic to RPM Complete Conversion -thread here in the forum? I believe it's about half-done, and is pretty much what it says on the tin.
Taneli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
That would be nice, indeed. Maybe if RPM books sell well enough TBTB will nicely ask Christopher to write one? ;)
TBTB rarely come to authors, it's almost always the other way round. But if I had the greenlight I'd write a book that was part advice/new material (such as this enchantment system I hacked together, short but IMHO better than the base system because it uses the spells, not advantages to make magic items) and part new spells. I have so many spells written up for my campaigns I'm working on getting in the *thousand* range so it's not like the inspiration or material isn't there. Again, if I had the greenlight.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #9
dntimm

Hi All, Thanks for the replies.

@ Christopher R Rice: I am not really looking for anything per say. Just looking to how it goes in play and how people play / how it flows in play. I do own the book you wrote (GURPS GM: Ritual Path Magic ) , and have read most of it 😉. I have looked at your website before and read things.

@ johndallman: I did the basic google search and a forum search and didn’t see any as well. So I was wondering if the knowledge of the forum knew something I didn’t find. And I agree that the calculations wont show through in audio, but I have time for audio.

@Taneli: I had looked at the thread but not recently, and thanks for reminding me of.

In general, I really was seeing if somebody had done an actual play. Like I said I was looking for something more of a audio route as I sit and read in front of a computer for hours a day. After a point the eyes get tired, also its tough to read during chores around the house. My Ipad isn’t water proof and I don’t use it while doing dish’s :P . You know listening while my eyes are elsewhere.
As for RPM, I haven’t convince any to want to use it. One its new and sparkly and the curmudgeons don’t find interest in it. Two it takes work to create spells(we all recognize this) and folks say math is hard (sigh). Three were not unhappy with the main magic rules for the most part. But I think it might work better for a low magic game, but allow magic healing though…

Thanks for the replies (and getting me to write more then I thought I would).
-D
dntimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
@ Christopher R Rice: I am not really looking for anything per say. Just looking to how it goes in play and how people play / how it flows in play. I do own the book you wrote (GURPS GM: Ritual Path Magic ) , and have read most of it 😉. I have looked at your website before and read things.

Cool. Cool. If you have questions I'm around more on discord then I am here. If you're interested, here's an invite link for my blog's server.

Become a Patron!

Tags
rpm