Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Supers in otherwise-realistic settings

Visualization already requires an IQ roll to function. Anyway, we are talking about superhumans in a realistic setting. Visualization, especially with the build that I described, is almost tailored for such a setting because its effects can be explained by extremely good luck rather than superhuman abilities. In fact, I believe that the majority of superhumans should probably have such an ability, as it is a cost effective way to differentiate them from supernormals and would explain some extraordinary lucky breaks, especially in high-tech or ultra-tech settings.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I'd be reluctant to allow Reliable on Visualization, save at a low level, or where there would normally be a penalty. I prefer to give it 'Requires IQ Roll' or 'Requires Will Roll,' or similar, and let the character buy up the skill, instead.
I agree with that. I think that Reliable in other cases is giving an excessively cheap bonus, usually without an adequate narrative justification.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #13
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I agree with that. I think that Reliable in other cases is giving an excessively cheap bonus, usually without an adequate narrative justification.
What is a "narrative justification"? I can say this character is especially good at math type stuff so they have Mathematical ability, why can't I say this character is especially good at Visualization?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Insider trading. If it becomes common knowledge that the super had more information than the general public could gather, then the FTC would hit them hard. Only members of Congress are allowed to get away with insider trading (by law; and they do).
Being good at trading is different from insider trading, which has the specific meaning of trading based on information you have from the inside of a company that the public market doesn't. A person trading based only on public information and making rolls at skill 30 or whatever is doing something perfectly permissible.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

When I plan out high realism supers, the campaign takes one of the following forms:

1) Its a low-combat exploration of what the character does with their abilities. How do they make money? How does it effect their social life? What do they do with it? How long does it take them to figure out the details of their abilities?

2) Its a SWAT or military game exploring powers in combat. If the players aren't government, they are at least interacting with supers who are, and are private investigators, organized rebels, or otherwise fitting into existing paradigms.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #16
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Being good at trading is different from insider trading, which has the specific meaning of trading based on information you have from the inside of a company that the public market doesn't. A person trading based only on public information and making rolls at skill 30 or whatever is doing something perfectly permissible.
But if it's ever discovered that the person is a precog, at any point in the future, the FTC would lay a smack down on the person. That the information was public, but from the future doesn't really matter. Precogs who start down this path see this eventuality and stop themselves from any sort of betting or gambling. This is why they never get rich.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #17
AlexanderHowl

But we are discussing Visualization and Wall Street, not Precognition and Wall Street. I mean, you could get a similar effect with Intuition (Based on Will, +20%; Inspired, +100%; Reliable, +10, +50%; Super, -10%) [39]. While you do not get a bonus, you tend to make the best choice, and you are capable of doing so with amazing regularity.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #18
Phantasm

One thing that anyone dressing up in colorful outfits should do is make sure the outfit has a good amount of armor. The bulk of the bad guys, early on at least, will likely be street thugs with pistols and possibly private security forces with sub-machine guns (if they're going after organized criminal cartels), usually in the 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP range. So wearing Kevlar and other commonly available body armor under or as part of their uniforms will be a necessity for their own survival.

Of course, escalation happens. "We start wearing body armor, they buy armor-piercing rounds. And then there's you, leaping over rooftops, wearing a mask..."

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:32 PM   #19
AlexanderHowl

Certain abilities are really useful in that case. For example, Afflictions that deprive an individual of their ST can really be useful, such as the following:

Withering Curse: Affliction 1 (Attribute Reduction, ST-20, +100%; Extended Duration, 100x, +80%; Malediction 3, +200%; No Signature, +20%; Stunning +10%; Super, -10%) [50]. With just a moment of concentration, you bring even the strongest of men to their knees for 100 minutes times your margin of victory, as even the weight of their clothing is too much for them to bear.

Such an affliction could be a wonderful tools for dealing with any enemy that does not possess superhuman ST, and it would force most of them to burn through their FP to keep going during combat. Since any weight over 0 lbs causes a ST 0 individual to collapse and be incapable of moving, their own equipment becomes a liability. It also allows mundane authorities to capture the culprits, as they only know that the individual collapsed and quickly passed out from exhaustion.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:38 AM   #20
smurf
Banned

The NPC I created had was just called Mr Prediction. He has wealth due to stock market trading. However, a smart Precog will also know to make mistakes too and therefore divert eyes from attention.

Super SWAT teams were dubbed ESWANT (Extra Special Weapons and No Tactics). The Gunisher can easily use a 20M weapon with his 'army of one' shtick.

Spony Tark's Battle suit is modular and can reconfigure itself with Alternative Abilities (cheapest way of building the character). Spony is only 200pts and his armour is 800pts. There is the General Utility form, Fast, Strong, Armoured, shooty ones. Like many electric vehicles it needs a few hours of recharge each day.

The Tank is in the US military and uses 3 different types of innate attacks: Explosive Ball Lightning, Rapid Fire Chain Lightning and the armour piercing Fork Lightning. The Tank keeps his cool through meditation but otherwise has a reputation of having a short fuse.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic books, supers, worldbuilding