Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
PenitentDemon

Default Whats a Demonling?

their mentioned 2 or 3 times in the Infernals book

but what IS a demonling

I get the impression their a state of very young demonic spirit of lower rank even then imps and gremlins...

anyplace i can get more info on them?
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
ravenfish

Default Re: Whats a Demonling?

-ling is a diminutive suffix. It can be tacked on at the end of a word to make the subject smaller or younger. A duckling is a little duck, for instance. In this case, it may refer to physical size, but more probably refers to importance. A demonling, then, is one of the lesser demons.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Dalillama

A demonling is an Infernal spirit of less than 7 Forces. They have not yet "Fledged" into a particular Band, and thus do not have Resonances, or, usually, dissonance conditions. The Heavenly version are called relievers, and fledge at 9 Forces. Imps, gremlins, etc. are subcategories of demonling, based mostly on temperament/ likely future Band. Demonlings are usually only found in Hell, but occasionally are given a Vessel and sent to serve a Demon, or rarely a Hellsworn or Sorceror. In these cases, they are called Familiars, and are obligated to serve their masters. The master can draw Essence from them, and temporarily force its discords onto the Familiar.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
PenitentDemon

ok thing is Imps or gremlins have a mininum of 3 forces

And in the infernals book it mentions 1 Force Demonlings

sorry for the confusion.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
tHEhERETIC

I don't have it with me atm, but as I remember the sorcery section of the Corporeal Player's Guide gives a fair breakdown of them (Awe Demonling, Banish Demonling, Banish Demon, Banish Big Hairy Demon...)

I had a little fun with the concept here
http://maroon-ed.livejournal.com/92341.html

I'll post something more technical in a couple hours when I'm off work. ;)
Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

They're mentioned in The Marches too, though CPG probably changed some of the rules. Demonlings always have at least one Celestial Force. The imps and gremlins are the most common kind, but there are plenty of weaker forces of evil out there. TM included a chart to roll up a description if a GM needed inspitation, but they're basically the small change of Hell ... minor nuisances at worst.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

The Infernal Player's Guide ought to have some demonling discussion, IIRC. The Liber Servitorum includes a writeup of 3 2-Force demonlings, which I found to be highly amusing.

Basically, "demonling" is the term that encompasses "imp, gremlin, and things of fewer-than-three Forces that are bound for higher things (if nothing steps on them first)." For angels, there's only one word needed: "reliever." (edit: and relievers only come in 3+ Force versions.) For demons? It got tedious writing "imps and/or gremlins" all the time, so when the term cropped up, it was pounced upon with great glee.

(The concept of less-than-3-Force-demonlings came up in The Marches, if I recall correctly. It was amusing enough that we kept it.)

Tags
demons