Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #11
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: An Ogre Mark VI and . . . what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Whereas I'm taking a play out of Henry's book and working the odds. VI vs Dopp makes the most sense, but I have to consider what the obvious choices for Set 3 and Set 4 would have been without this opportunity, since it'd be a shame to waste this opportunity on them...but with market research involved, do I vote for the oddballs in hopes we get them all in time (as like Drew, I do want everything on that list and then some), or do I vote for the best choice for this set plus the ones I think would give Set 3 enough momentum to guarantee a Set 4?
Yeah, the VI + Dopp ended up being my runner-up for the same reason. It's one of the "logical" choices to pair up the competing "giants" on the battlefield.

You are definitely putting more work into it than I did. I mostly went with "what don't I have and what would I actually use?" For me, that ended up being the MarkI,MarkII; especially since they went with MarkI(x2)+MarkII.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #12
Mack_JB

I'm assuming a Mk. I and II will be easier to add to the OM#3 or OM#4 sets -- and keeping the mystery Ogre tooling a similar size to the Mk. VI tooling (for a Dopp) means they likely could be more affordably made.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Yeah, the VI + Dopp ended up being my runner-up for the same reason. It's one of the "logical" choices to pair up the competing "giants" on the battlefield.

You are definitely putting more work into it than I did. I mostly went with "what don't I have and what would I actually use?" For me, that ended up being the MarkI,MarkII; especially since they went with MarkI(x2)+MarkII.
The I and II...now there's one I'd go beyond "Too Many Minis" for, specifically because I love the idea of being able to use a micro-swarm of them. Oooh, now there's an idea! I really need a regular play group like Mack_JB has, I wonder how a pair of IIs and some artillery would fare against a III on the attack...

Edit: If they go in a set, please please please please please do an over-print run for the I and II...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #14
sparky00

You should get Ogrezine!
It has some great stuff in it and it looks just gorgeous!
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #15
Mack_JB

Cross-posted from the KS campaign.

Random additional thoughts:

OM#3 = Combine Set to mirror OM#1 (4 HOW, 8 HVY, 8 GEV, 6 MSL, 14 INF, 1 CP), but with a Mk. IIIb and _then_ the Mk. I and Mk. II -- making it an all NAC set (and please have extra Ogres available like with OM#1).

OM#4 = Combine set to mirror OM#2; the Ogres then can be Ninja and Vulcan. Another all NAC set.

Future Set #5? for Mk. VI and Doppelsoldner.

Future Set #6? for Oni, Samurai, Golem, Dragon (two or three of each, maybe?).

Future Set #7? for Ogrethulhu and infected human units.

Last edited by Mack_JB; 05-29-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: durn typos
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #16
sparky00

What are the physical differences between a Mk IIIB & an Oni?

Can the differences be resolved with paint, or are they sufficiently different that a separate sculpt is required to adequately represent each?

thanks, erik
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post

Can the differences be resolved with paint, or are they sufficiently different that a separate sculpt is required to adequately represent each?
They would be visually distinct, especially if SJ Games goes with the Oni having an internal missile rack (as with GURPS Ogre and Roy Kubicek's Nihon counter sheets) rather than four external missiles.

I've made my choices, based on what I want for my collection.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #18
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post

thanks, erik
According to the Nihon Empire · North American Divisions Supplement the SAMURIA (Mark5) and ONI (Mark3B) were equipped with modified Secondary Batteries of 3/3/3.

So, the only change is those SBs.

I would luv to see such modified SBs available as a sprue for those who want to modify their OGREs.
I have some FanMade Later Last War Paneuropean OGREs and some from the Combine Stealth Department I want to do some custom OGRE work on.
I'll also need some Paneuropean Laser Turrets and Towers...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

I made a Paneuropean Mark5 Huscarl from Stuttgart that would be a good example of what one possible iteration of modified SBs would look like.
Here's a link to them:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...57688053199546

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 05-29-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #19
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
Here's a link to them. I have a Paneuropean Mark5 Huscarl from Stuttgart that would be a good example of what one possible iteration of modified SBs would look like on.
Wow! Nice work!
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #20
FJCestero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
I have some FanMade Later Last War Paneuropean OGREs and some from the Combine Stealth Department I want to do some custom OGRE work on.
I'll also need some Paneuropean Laser Turrets and Towers...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

I made a Paneuropean Mark5 Huscarl from Stuttgart that would be a good example of what one possible iteration of modified SBs would look like.
Here's a link to them:
I'm so stealing those...
Attributed of course, but they're going into the Master List I keep.
Question Tim: Since these are later versions with the same names, do you have a preference to distinguish their incarnations? Your original Manticore had 2MB, 6SB, 12AP & 4MR+20. This one has 4SB+,12AP,5MR+15 & 2MSLA. Manticore-I and Manticore-II? Or -A & -B? Or something else?
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote