Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #181
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: GURPS After the End 1: Wastelanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Uh, "drop all fractions" is functionally equivalent to "round down", it's just changing the order of operations. Same net result.
No, drop all fractions produces a different result than rounding down.
Dropping all fractions is rounding towards zero, as opposed to the towards Negative Infinity rounding of 'down'. (Really, it would be more clear if they just always said towards what to round, since IIRC some schools teach that dropping the fractions from -5½ results in -6.)

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 04-02-2016 at 11:37 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #182
chimchim

Just got this and im impressed. Cant wait for ate 2. I going to use this with time of the zombies from zombies day one in my next ftf campaign.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #183
scc

OK, what role did Cthulhu etl play in bringing about The End? The reason I asked is that AtE is set at least 40 years after The End, yet I get the vibe that there are still people around who went to school BtE, most importantly the PCs. The problem is that these people would generally be 60 or more by now. There's also the problem that there seems to be a LOT of stuff to loot. Neither of these facts is consistent with 40 years or more having passed.

If however those 40 years date from when a planet wide war BEGAN with it only ending 20 years ago, things make a bit more sense, especially if the war was everyone v. everyone. I figure that as the war dragged on the general TL went down and eventually people lacked the ability to project power across large bodies of water, so you'd have Mexico and Canada fighting against the US and so. The war ended because society collapsed due to so much damage.

And Cthulhu waking up is said to bring about that sort of planet wide madness, right?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #184
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
yet I get the vibe that there are still people around who went to school BtE, most importantly the PCs.
Where do you get that vibe? It's almost explicitly spelled out exactly the opposite, the PCs are supposed to be the fresh young minds of the latest generation, firmly detached from the world Before The End.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #185
Minuteman37

Quote:
OK, what role did Cthulhu etl play in bringing about The End? The reason I asked is that AtE is set at least 40 years after The End, yet I get the vibe that there are still people around who went to school BtE, most importantly the PCs. The problem is that these people would generally be 60 or more by now. There's also the problem that there seems to be a LOT of stuff to loot. Neither of these facts is consistent with 40 years or more having passed.

If however those 40 years date from when a planet wide war BEGAN with it only ending 20 years ago, things make a bit more sense, especially if the war was everyone v. everyone. I figure that as the war dragged on the general TL went down and eventually people lacked the ability to project power across large bodies of water, so you'd have Mexico and Canada fighting against the US and so. The war ended because society collapsed due to so much damage.

And Cthulhu waking up is said to bring about that sort of planet wide madness, right?
This is going to vary from apocalypse to apocalypse, but if the end was nuclear in nature. Many of those 40 years were spent in shelters waiting for things to cool down.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #186
scc

OK, some are better then others here are the things that get to me the most:
  1. The lack of illitracy as an option
  2. The Doc and Techie templates, both of these are the sorts of occupations that require large amounts of book learning
  3. The Nomad or anything mention of finding an intact BtE vehicle
  4. The primacy of guns, they would be powerful tools if you have them, but that's unlikely.
Now those last two can be mitigated if the concept is that your character stumbled across the item in something that approaches climate controlled storage and the first two if the PCs come from a settlement large and stable enough to have a school, but that's not really AtE.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #187
Minuteman37

Quote:
The primacy of guns, they would be powerful tools if you have them, but
Do you have any idea how much those cost?!?!?!

A Browning 9mm pistol would set me back 13 character points and that's not even counting ammo!
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:03 AM   #188
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post

A Browning 9mm pistol would set me back 13 character points and that's not even counting ammo!
You probably want something like Winchester M1873 or Springfield M1903 if you're feeling rich, not a wonder pistol. Also, what Browning 9mm are we talking about?
Old 04-03-2016, 02:36 AM   #189
PK

Quote:

2.24 character points for a cheap TL6 9mm by my math. $350 x 4 x 0.4 = $560.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:39 AM   #190
scc

Quote:

And yet they're still given equal or more time/space/points on the sample builds when they should probably be single point background skills

Tags
after the end