Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-21-2018, 12:26 AM   #21
KevinJ

Default Re: We don't need no stinkin' Heros and Wizards

In my house rules there is an Adept talent which basically makes you a Wizard and able to cast spells from books and make magic items. There are also some other magic related Talents which require Adept and give various small benefits to spell casters.

With the shift from Total IQ to XP to acquire talents, this is less of a deal, although I still don't see why there should be a distinction.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #22
meteoricshipyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi MeteoricShipyards,
The idea of making it easier to take spells for heroes has come up a fair number of times in this forum.

However, what I would do would be to ask, "do I want to allow non-wizards to pick up an occasional spell?", or "do I just want to make the druid class work?"
Just allow heroes the occasional spell (the thief example) and wizards the occasional talent (like the druid example) without breaking the bank.

I _like_ the original system. I loved the lack of leveled classes when I moved from AD&D to ITL. But I was just wondering if people had played with this aspect of the game; what are the implications.

One thing that I see is that the cost of spells become exceedingly low compared to talents, but work just fine for wizards who aren't taking talents. There are very few 3 point talents (fencing, two weapons, expert naturalist, alchemist, scholar, spying, and UC V). I don't see most spells as being at that level. And Naturalist and Animal Handling being the equivalent of 4 spells also seems a bit high. Maybe 2 IQ points per spell for heroes and one extra IQ point per talent for wizards. I'll have to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
(I'm being a bit vague here because I'm trying to make these suggestions so that they work with the new TFT, but I don't know the details of how that works.)

Anyway, it is your game. Don't be shy about tweaking some rules to make druids shine.

Warm regards, Rick
Thanks Rick.

Actually, I'm not running a game. Just fooling around with characters.

But I keep seeing references to some new talent attribute and have not found where that is defined. Anyone point me to what is "officially" known?

Thanks,

Tom A.
meteoricshipyards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #23
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoricshipyards View Post
But I keep seeing references to some new talent attribute and have not found where that is defined. Anyone point me to what is "officially" known?
Here are the new experience point rules. There's no new talent attribute though, you can just spend experience directly on talents.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote