Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Tommi Gustafsson

Default Demented Dungeons Portal Cards Density

I'm considering to buy Demented Dungeons, but I would like to know how many expansions it should be played together. I understand that there are just 16 portal cards. I have currently expansions 2-5 plus the core set, which makes quite a big deck pile of door cards.

Is it recommended to use all expansions 2-6 together, or is there some recommended amount of expansions to use with Demented Dungeons, so that portal cards pop up with the right intervals from the door deck?

Thanks for advance!
Tommi Gustafsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Demented Dungeons Portal Cards Density

The rules for that expansion actually give some decent suggestions on how to set up portals based on the number of cards you might have.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #3
edge970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi Gustafsson View Post
I'm considering to buy Demented Dungeons, but I would like to know how many expansions it should be played together. I understand that there are just 16 portal cards. I have currently expansions 2-5 plus the core set, which makes quite a big deck pile of door cards.

Is it recommended to use all expansions 2-6 together, or is there some recommended amount of expansions to use with Demented Dungeons, so that portal cards pop up with the right intervals from the door deck?

Thanks for advance!
The group that I play with has adopted dungeons to be part of the regular play. We normally play with one base set and 1-2 expansions. I've shuffled all the dungeons into the top half of the deck AND have shuffled them into the entire deck.

Sometimes, we get portal after portal after portal. Sometimes, we only get to change dungeons once or twice.

It's all in the luck of the shuffle.
edge970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
.Ce.

we are playing on classic with all expansions, so 16 portals is quite a low number for sure, sometimes also blended games with dungeons...

To rotate a few dungeons more, we just added some placeholders (may blank cards or just any other kind of "not-munchkin-game-cards") to the doors deck since we are way too lazy to pick out all portals again and again.

side effects of picked placeholders are just choosen by a dice, 1/2 add another dungeon, 2/3 discard all dungeons and pick a new one, 5/6 discard one dungeon of your choice and add a new to existing ones.
May add other regular side effects to the dice.
.Ce. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
UncleBob

Since I had one of my Dungeon Cards graffitized at GenCon, I ended up buying a second set of Dungeons, adding the 16 additional portals into my mega-Munchkin deck.

One thing to remember is the section in the rules (linked to by Munchkin Man) that allow you change (or add) a Dungeon Card by discarding four cards. I've played with some Munchkin players who didn't even know that rule existed. :D
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
edge970

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
Since I had one of my Dungeon Cards graffitized at GenCon, I ended up buying a second set of Dungeons, adding the 16 additional portals into my mega-Munchkin deck.

One thing to remember is the section in the rules (linked to by Munchkin Man) that allow you change (or add) a Dungeon Card by discarding four cards. I've played with some Munchkin players who didn't even know that rule existed. :D
Groan. I just remembered about it when I was reading your post. We had a game the other night with three players at level 10 with the extra effort dungeon out. I had just happened to draw a face-up portal on my turn (we always plays with phase 0) and boom, instant 3 way tie for the win. Two other munchkins weren't so lucky. It was glorious.

But, had I remembered that rule, the game would have ended a few turns earlier. Thanks for the reminder.
edge970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Tommi Gustafsson

I have now door and portal cards in ratio 11:1, that is 1 portal in every 12 door cards. Is that ok? Portals seem to pop up quite often so that we go through at least 4 dungeons in one game. Is that intended? Or should I reduce the number of portals?

Thanks,
Tommi
Tommi Gustafsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

There are 20 Dungeons in the set; we WANT them to cycle!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Bubbles21112

We play with the base game expansions 2-8 Pathfinder and Legends 1 and 2. We also have a few of the foil packs so we have a deck of over 1200 cards.

We can go an entire game without portals, or we can change 10 times. It's luck of the draw.

The rule about dumping 4 cards to change a dungeon does help with the rotation, but sometimes you get that one dungeon you want to keep. For me it's gender bending. The two guys I play with seem to forget that rule and lose levels quickly. :D
Bubbles21112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Dealmaker777

If only there could be a Demented Dungeons II for those of us with huge decks and boxes of holding for the dungeons. It could have 16 new portal cards and 20 new dungeons. I'll buy that if they make it. :)
Dealmaker777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demented dungeons