Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Old 03-12-2018, 04:23 AM   #1
kwirl

Default Playmat Suggestion

I've designed my own playmat for this game, which makes it much easier for us to play - but I had a couple of suggestions. First - I would love little Munchkin miniatures with life counter dials built into the base.

Second - Those chits suck, I would pay for improved or possible metal variations of them.

Playmat Draft 1
Updated Single version, Traditional Playmat Size

Last edited by kwirl; 03-13-2018 at 09:17 AM.
kwirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #2
PJ3

Default Re: Playmat Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwirl View Post
I've designed my own playmat for this game, which makes it much easier for us to play - but I had a couple of suggestions. First - I would love little Munchkin miniatures with life counter dials built into the base.

Second - Those chits suck, I would pay for improved or possible metal variations of them.
There was a pewter Munchkin level counter years ago that was like you describe (level 1-10 on one side, 11-20 on the other). Problem was Spyke didn't balance well when you turned him.

And while I don't have an issue withe the chipboard chits, I would like a set of counters/level counter/run away token (die optional) as a separate product so I can have a set for every deck rather than tying a set to two decks (yes, I know I can split the counters between two decks, but it's the principle! Plus I'm building decks from the Hero cards I find in the boosters)

"Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?"
PJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Owzat1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ3 View Post
And while I don't have an issue withe the chipboard chits, I would like a set of counters/level counter/run away token (die optional) as a separate product so I can have a set for every deck rather than tying a set to two decks (yes, I know I can split the counters between two decks, but it's the principle! Plus I'm building decks from the Hero cards I find in the boosters)
From the comments I have seen SJ Games were trying to keep the costs down as much as possible for the starter sets. But I think not producing separate Gold and HP counters was a mistake.

It would be nice if down the line somewhere there was a set of counters/level counter/run away token that was available.

I'm looking at getting some cheap Tiddlywink style plastic counters. One colour for each Character to use as HP and then some Gold ones for coins. about $3 for a 100 tokens on Ebay.
Owzat1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owzat1982 View Post
But I think not producing separate Gold and HP counters was a mistake.
It was an affirmative design decision to have a single style of tokens. It wasn't done for cost reasons.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
Cloewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owzat1982 View Post
From the comments I have seen SJ Games were trying to keep the costs down as much as possible for the starter sets. But I think not producing separate Gold and HP counters was a mistake.

It would be nice if down the line somewhere there was a set of counters/level counter/run away token that was available.

I'm looking at getting some cheap Tiddlywink style plastic counters. One colour for each Character to use as HP and then some Gold ones for coins. about $3 for a 100 tokens on Ebay.
The life/death tokens from Munchkin Quest are a good alternative if you´re looking for different tokens.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
kwirl

I updated after some playtesting - added instruction text and level spaces, made the mat single player and sized for standard printing
kwirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
Bithlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
It was an affirmative design decision to have a single style of tokens. It wasn't done for cost reasons.
This is apparent from the fact that they come pre-punched and in a sealed baggie.
Bithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
Owzat1982

The only reason I said it was because on the sleeves and boxes post it was said colour coding counters would be more expensive. So I assumed this was the reason.
Owzat1982 is offline   Reply With Quote