Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
roland

Default SM and movement

Where can I find the correlation between the movement and the size modifier?

Thanks
roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: SM and movement

That's easy: there isn't one built into the game system, though you can certainly buy extra move and claim it's because of long legs.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
roland

So if I have a giant 30 feet tall I do not know exactly how many yards it covers per second.
It seems strange to me that such a precise system like GURPS does not have this rule. But nothing is written in the Basic Set or in Pyramid 77 .....
Old 09-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
Imion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland View Post
So if I have a giant 30 feet tall I do not know exactly how many yards it covers per second.
(...)
Of corse you do. Just look at it's Move. ;)

As Anthony said: Size Modifier does not provide increased Basic or Enhanced Move. You will have to buy that separately if the giant is a PC. If you build it as a monster just pick a Move score that seems appropriate.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
Stormcrow

GURPS isn't a reality simulator (I keep saying this lately). You can't plug in game statistics and discover emergent properties by observing the game elements.

If you want to move faster, you increase your Basic Move. If you want to be much taller, you increase your Size Modifier. By making these separate statistics, you can change one independently of the other. YOU decide what your character can do, and pick the statistics that do it. GURPS won't do it for you.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Refplace

That is because SM does not affect movement.
The idea is that something big may move very slowly or fast depending so GURPS does not tie them together.
A giant jellyfish for example still just floats along.
It may seem counter intuitive but by not bundling them it gives the GM greater precision and control over his designs.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
roland

So...... for it to seem realistic..... My giant who has a normal speed.... what movement should it have?
Old 09-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
whswhs

What I use as a rule of thumb is that Basic Move is proportional to the square root of body height/length. This is ignoring variations in gravity (I don't run many campaigns set on other planets) and in body design (effectively, treating all animals as humanoids); you can look up movement speeds for other species and use them as a baseline if you want.

So, for example, in my current campaign, the race of nixies are "three-quarterlings" with SM -1, and average 70% of human height. The square root of 0.7 is 0.84. If you multiply human Basic Move of 5 by 0.84, you get 4.20, which rounds down to 4. So nixies have -1 to Basic Move as a racial trait.

This isn't a GURPS rule. But it will get you roughly reasonable estimates if you want to work with somewhat realistic biomechanics.

On the other hand, if you want to get fairy tale or movie giants, who move just like humans despite being much bigger, you could change Basic Move in proportion to height/length. So if you had a giant who stood 20' tall (roughly SM +2), his height would be about 3.3x human, and multiplying Basic Move 5 x3.3 gives you 16.5. So you could give him, say, +10 Basic Move as a racial trait. This is a different rule for a different type of storytelling.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
So...... for it to seem realistic..... My giant who has a normal speed.... what movement should it have?
For a cinematic giant that ignores the square/cube law, treat as a pendulum and speed varies with the square root of height. For realistic giants, it's more like the tenth root of height.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
Humabout

Quote:
It seems strange to me that such a precise system like GURPS does not have this rule. But nothing is written in the Basic Set or in Pyramid 77 .....
In real life, size is very much NOT correlated to speed. Take, for instance, a SM 0 cheetah with a top Move of about 30 and the SM 8 crawler-transporter at NASS KSC with its 1 mile per hour, or half a yard per second. GURPS can model both with advantages.

This is one reason they are decoupled. Size does not imply speed. If you are concerned with biological relationships, it still doesn't hold. Cheetahs are faster than SM 3 elephants, too. Really, your best bet is to just pick something that fits your vision.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote