Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
Henchman99942

Default Attribute Costs 3e vs 4e

So, does anyone run 4e games using the attribute breakdown from 3e?

Even allowing for the higher cost for DX and IQ, would not a progressive point cost make more sense that the flat cost? Why the change?
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Attribute Costs 3e vs 4e

It's a streamlining to avoid having to use progression tables or formulae.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
Anthony

Flat cost means you can have templates that include attribute bonuses, where the template has a fixed cost and does not mean some characters pay more for a given attribute level than others.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Making the game universal. Raised attribute costs are used in many games because they interact complexly with racial templates. It gives you a lot of interesting choices, but it also makes the system less generic. Thus, the generic universal role-playing system has chosen to do without them.

I'll point out the philosophy extends to much more than just attributes. Most gurps traits have a flat cost to add to them.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Flat cost means you can have templates that include attribute bonuses, where the template has a fixed cost and does not mean some characters pay more for a given attribute level than others.
You could do that in 3/e. It just meant that a character who had ST 16 cost more than a character with ST 13 and racial ST bonus +3. But the racial ST bonus had a fixed cost, and that was what went into the template.

But in a sense, GURPS stats have an increasing cost. Raising IQ from 10 to 11 costs 20 points, and increases your chance of success on an IQ roll from 50% to 62.5%; that's 1.6 points per +1%. Raising IQ from 15 to 16 costs the same 20 points, and increases your chance of success from 95.27% to 98.15%; that's 7.2 points per +1%. Buying up stats gets steadily less efficient as stats get higher.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
You could do that in 3/e. It just meant that a character who had ST 16 cost more than a character with ST 13 and racial ST bonus +3. But the racial ST bonus had a fixed cost, and that was what went into the template.
Not if you want to take a 50 point Guard template with ST+2 and a 50 point Executioner template with ST+3 to play a 100 point Guard-Executioner PC with ST 15. None of that is racial ST.

I try to avoid putting fewer than 4 points in a template's skills for this reason, actually, making them as additive as possible.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Quote:
You could do that in 3/e. It just meant that a character who had ST 16 cost more than a character with ST 13 and racial ST bonus +3.
Read the entire quote. Particularly observe the text in red....
Quote:
Raising IQ from 10 to 11 costs 20 points, and increases your chance of success on an IQ roll from 50% to 62.5%; that's 1.6 points per +1%. Raising IQ from 15 to 16 costs the same 20 points, and increases your chance of success from 95.27% to 98.15%; that's 7.2 points per +1%. Buying up stats gets steadily less efficient as stats get higher.
Raising your IQ from 10 to 11 increases your success/fail ratio from 1:1 to 1.67:1 (multiplying by 1.67). Raising your IQ from 15 to 16 increases your success/rail ratio from 20.6:1 to 53:1 (multiplying by 2.57). S/F ratio is the primary determinant on what types of risks you can take, not absolute success chance, so buying up your stat is more efficient, not less (realistically, it actually depends on the type of test you're attempting, and presumes no skill modifiers, but raw adjustments to success chance are a very poor measure of utility. My favorite measure is lottery pricing: if character A pays X points, and character B pays Y points, character A's chance of winning a contest should be X/(X+Y). Implementing that with GURPS die rolling winds up with exponential cost).

Last edited by Anthony; 06-08-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman99942 View Post
So, does anyone run 4e games using the attribute breakdown from 3e?

Even allowing for the higher cost for DX and IQ, would not a progressive point cost make more sense that the flat cost? Why the change?
Do we remember why the 3e costs were progressive in the first place? I vaguely recall it trying to force a kind of bell curve, but I'm lousy when it comes to statistics. Until the rules for Enhanced ST were added, all traits eventually did have a flat progression: once you hit 18, it is 25 CP/level past that.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Do we remember why the 3e costs were progressive in the first place? I vaguely recall it trying to force a kind of bell curve, but I'm lousy when it comes to statistics. Until the rules for Enhanced ST were added, all traits eventually did have a flat progression: once you hit 18, it is 25 CP/level past that.
Weren't they progressive all the way back to Man to Man? It may be a case of "It was the thing at the time".
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Weren't they progressive all the way back to Man to Man? It may be a case of "It was the thing at the time".
<checks my old copy of Man to Man> Why, yes, the Attribute costs had remained unchanged since Man to Man. With the exception of ST, which IIRC was re-costed downwords in Supers and then later Compendium I.

IMO there are two reasons to go with the flat cost. The first is that it's just easier to remember the cost progression. The second is that it just works better for stacking templates, whether they are character templates, racial templates, meta-traits, or lenses. You can take any combination of any of those and be sure that the attribute cost remains the same (with the exception of templates which mess with Size Modifier or No Fine Manipulators, and those quickly get annoying and messy).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote