Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
PghDrake

Default Rules Questions

Sorry to have to bother folks but I have a couple of rules questions I just can't figure out on my own. I got the game on Friday and played it last night with my son, it was a bit more complicated than regular munchkin which we've played quite a bit, but we still had a blast.

Ok on to the questions:

1) Moves - I'm a little bit lost with some of this. I can move through a regular door and that takes one of my 3 moves away. Now I have 2 moves. I fight a monster, then search the room. now I have 1 move left. Can I move to another room (and thus possibly fight another monster) on that turn? Or, even if I just don't want to be in the same room any more (such as the magnet room, where you lose 1 weapon if you end your turn there), can I still go out of the room - or does combat take my last move away?

2) The entrance room - can you, with a card or with something such as the locked room - alter the passageway out of the entrance? Or are they "sacred" and can never be altered? (NOTE: OK I just read elsewhere on the forums that nothing can change the entrance links, so I have this one answered, thank you!)

3) Flight - what does this actually give to the character, or is it only something that's used if a card or a room mentions it? Such as "-3 against a munchkin with the flight ability"? I couldn't find anything in the rules about this at all, maybe I'm blind but I see no real mention of what it does for the character.

4) Locked Doors - when you move through a locked door (3 moves), does it then become unlocked, or if you turn around and go back through it, it still takes 3 moves?

Thanks for your help, folks!

-Drake

Last edited by PghDrake; 11-30-2008 at 09:56 AM.
PghDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Gawain

Default Re: Rules Questions

No bother! It's what we're here for :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghDrake
1) Moves - I'm a little bit lost with some of this. I can move through a regular door and that takes one of my 3 moves away. Now I have 2 moves. I fight a monster, then search the room. now I have 1 move left. Can I move to another room (and thus possibly fight another monster) on that turn? Or, even if I just don't want to be in the same room any more (such as the magnet room, where you lose 1 weapon if you end your turn there), can I still go out of the room - or does combat take my last move away?
Combat doesn't take any move at all. So if you have 3 move at the start of your turn it's very possible, even likely, that you'll move into three unexplored rooms and have 3 combats (especially early in the game). But that's all part of the strategy; what exactly you want to use your moves on, i.e. moving vs searching.
Quote:
2) The entrance room - can you, with a card or with something such as the locked room - alter the passageway out of the entrance? Or are they "sacred" and can never be altered?
Nothing ever moves or alters the Entrance or its links.
Quote:
3) Flight - what does this actually give to the character, or is it only something that's used if a card or a room mentions it? Such as "-3 against a munchkin with the flight ability"? I couldn't find anything in the rules about this at all, maybe I'm blind but I see no real mention of what it does for the character.
Doesn't really "give" you anything, apart from when it comes up on cards and rooms. Either you have it, or you don't.

EDIT: 4) remains locked. Some monsters bash through locked doors which changes them to open passageways, and some cards let you alter the link, but otherwise the links stay just the way they are.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
PghDrake

Thanks for the answers!!

-Drake
PghDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
O'Keefe

I know that Gawain answered all these already, but I want to add a bit...
Quote:
Sorry to have to bother folks but I have a couple of rules questions I just can't figure out on my own. I got the game on Friday and played it last night with my son, it was a bit more complicated than regular munchkin which we've played quite a bit, but we still had a blast.
No need to apologize. We knew that we were giving people a slightly more complicated way to play Munchkin, but we like the game and are glad you guys are liking it too. And no need to apologize for questions, that's what we're here for.
Quote:
Effective use of Move is really the way to win the game. We've had lots of discussions while playtesting on Combat vs Search. Some people think getting as may fights as you can get on a turn is best, because killing Monsters gives levels and levels win the game. Other people would rather search and find free items to buff themselves up so killing monsters is easier. My strategy falls somewhere in between the two.
Quote:
2) The entrance room - can you, with a card or with something such as the locked room - alter the passageway out of the entrance? Or are they "sacred" and can never be altered? (NOTE: OK I just read elsewhere on the forums that nothing can change the entrance links, so I have this one answered, thank you!)
That's why we made it the way we did, so even if you wanted to change a link it was impossible (without damaging the tile).
Quote:
There are a few powers that are only reactive with text on rooms and monsters. Flame power and Protection from Flame are that way too.
Quote:
4) Locked Doors - when you move through a locked door (3 moves), does it then become unlocked, or if you turn around and go back through it, it still takes 3 moves?
Think of the door types as more of an abstract time issue. Locked and Hidden doors slow regular munchkins down, but nothing stops a determined munchkin who really wants to get to the room on the other side.
will@sjgames.com
O'Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote