Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Quick Question: Do I Need to Pay Points for Friends, Family, and Social Network?

Hey, all.

So, this is actually born of my attempt to stat myself up. I thought, "Man, I know a lot of people who would help me out in a pinch. How much is that worth?" My family is small, but we have many family friends across countries who would shelter me, and I have a solid handful of my own friends who would do the same. I also have my social network of peers and professors and coworkers and so on. If I need someone to fix my car, I know someone who can help me out. If I'm looking for knowledge, I know someone who knows someone.

I'm thinking Claim to Hospitality (Friends and family) and Contact Group (Social network). That could be a solid 25 points right there, depending on how helpful that Contact Group actually is. Is that part of my character point total? That's a solid chunk if we're assuming "average" and "competent" is the 25-75 point range (as per B487). Or maybe we're assuming that everyone has those things and those who don't should take a disadvantage?

Another (similar) idea that I've had is that social traits are really complex. Or... They are in my mind. I probably have a few trivial reputations here and a couple bad trivial reputations there. Some days, I have more friends. Other days, I have fewer. So, maybe, when we're taking real people into account, we ignore social traits unless they're really exceptional. Maybe my social network doesn't even qualify to be a Contact Group and such a thing should really be saved for a politician who really knows people? And it gets more complicated when we throw status and rank at people.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Quick Question: Do I Need to Pay Points for Friends, Family, and Social Network?

Typically the web of people you might be able to borrow or trade favors with is covered by your wealth level.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
Culture20

Default Re: Quick Question: Do I Need to Pay Points for Friends, Family, and Social Network?

You can list them as reciprocal dependents or (sense of) duties.
When statting myself, I find I have a *lot* of low level disads; more than allowable in many campaigns.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
You can list them as reciprocal dependents or (sense of) duties.
When statting myself, I find I have a *lot* of low level disads; more than allowable in many campaigns.
That's a fantastic idea that I hadn't thought of. Sense of Duty (Family, friends, and social network) [-10] would be a good way to help balance out the cost of having them.

Thank you.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Ordinary friends and neighbors aren't Contacts, IMO, I know that this is controversial for some reason though.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Engurrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Typically the web of people you might be able to borrow or trade favors with is covered by your wealth level.
Is it? How so? Are there rules somewhere for determining whether or not you have a contact you can borrow from in a given city, based on your wealth?
Old 10-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Ordinary friends and neighbors aren't Contacts, IMO, I know that this is controversial for some reason though.
I dont know why.
Contacts can only be reached once a day or so, not a couple of times.
Contacts are built around the idea of using a favor or a single skill.
Typical friends do not count as contacts IMHO for several reasons, they are reachable more often, the single skill thing doesn't fit most and the favor thing is a bit much for most friends. Its more like a really close or old friend.

Most friends would be just NPCs we know.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engurrand View Post
Is it? How so? Are there rules somewhere for determining whether or not you have a contact you can borrow from in a given city, based on your wealth?
Not sure where books rule on it (other than Dungeon Fantasy, where it controls your ability to sell loot, but it's been mentioned by Dr Kromm, in places such as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
There's also the bit about how much gear you start with, but that's actually a secondary effect of Wealth. The primary effects concern your credit rating, social network, relationship with bankers and taxmen, and so on, and the follow-on effects on your social freedoms and mobility.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
jason taylor

What kind of society does your PC come from? In many societies the family is the chief political and economic unit. So much so that not having one calls for a considerable disadvantage; it would in fact be the equiv of Displaced Person.

Last edited by jason taylor; 10-10-2016 at 07:04 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #10
Engurrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Not sure where books rule on it (other than Dungeon Fantasy, where it controls your ability to sell loot, but it's been mentioned by Dr Kromm, in places such as...
If you can think of where you've seen those rules I'd be very interested to see them. IMHO that Kromm quote, and others I've seen, point to the DF rules for getting better bargaining prices, and to the much greater social mobility available through purchasing cost of living, status and related. This doesn't indicate (GURPS is effect based) that Wealth adds Claims to Hospitality or access to information through social Contacts except where wealth permits you to buy or pay for them, or Status permits you access to their parties or parlors.

None of that fits the OP's question. Even someone of low wealth may have many friends. In fact, low wealth individuals often rely much more heavily on family and friendship connections, by necessity.

More directly to the OPs question, I don't know if my read is 'correct' but I don't ask my players to pay points for any friend or family member unless that character would help them hide a body. You don't pay points for a mechanic who will give you a slight discount. Everybody knows somebody like that. You pay points if that butt-kicking mechanic chick will still rotate your tires and check the valves on your getaway car when your name has been on TV and the cops are after you. That's an ally if they're not asking for money because you two are tight and fighting for the same things, and a Contact if they expect to get paid for their risks.

Tags
claim to hospitality, contact group, family, friends, social network