Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #1
Calvin

Default Clarification/Extension to bulk penalties in melee combat?

By RAW anyone using a gun in close combat is at a penalty equal to their bulk (techniques aside), but I can see areas where more detail might be in order.

The first example would be one where the gunman isn't actually in CC with the person opposing them, but where their opponent can still reach into their hex. So their opposition is either SM+1 or larger, or has a melee weapon of some sort that can reach them. In this case I think it would be entirely reasonable for a Parry to be acceptable against the firearm, but does that then also mean that the opponent is taking their Bulk penalty to shoot back?

the second example would be a reversal of the first, where instead of the opponent reaching in with a SM+1 sized natural attack, or a melee weapon with reach, the gunman is wielding a weapon that sticks out of their hex. Large sniper rifles, some machine guns come to mind.

Assuming that the person stands in the middle of their hex, they're only 1.5ft from the edge at any one time, so potentially any firearm over 1.5ft in length is going to stick out into the next hex. Much like disarms can be attempted against the hexes that longer melee weapons occupy, does the gun occupy that forward hex as well for determining whether Bulk penalties apply?
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
Dustin

Default Re: Clarification/Extension to bulk penalties in melee combat?

No, I would make a distinction between having my enemy's limbs or weapon making contact with the gun (where they might be able to Parry the gun attack) versus having their torso/main mass making contact (where Bulk penalties apply).

In the case of an exceptionally long firearm, like a musket that normally requires a rest or stand to fire, I can see applying the Bulk penalty at Range 1.

Looked at another way, if mutual weapon/limb contact forced Bulk penalties the same as if they were in CC for firearms, then it arguably should do the same for melee attacks.